How Long Will I Be off my Workout Routine After Canthoplasty?

If I get a canthoplasty done, how long of a break will I need to take from the workout regimen my personal trainer has me on? I can only put the training package I purchased on hold for a certain amount of time.

Eyelid surgery and working out

+1

I would give it a solid two weeks. You need to rest and let the eyelid heal. You don't want to risk the eyelid wound opening up and having to get it restitched.

Washington DC Oculoplastic Surgeon

Refrain from exercise routine for at least 2 weeks after surgery

+1

It takes approximately two weeks to heal from your canthoplasty procedure. All of the bruising and most of the swelling will resolve after a two-week period of time from the procedure. You should probably not work out or exercise for at least two weeks after the procedure.

Web reference: http://www.seattlefacial.com

Wait 3 weeks after canthoplasty for vigorous exercise

+1

Normal recovery following canthoplasty is about 2 weeks for swelling and brusing to resolve.

However, the eyelid shape can take 6-8 weeks to return to normal.

The sutures used to tighten the lower eyelid neeed to hold the tissues in the proper place for long enough for healing to occur.

This healing can take up to 6-8 weeks.

I would recommend that you be careful about exerting yourself for the first 6 weeks.

Mild aerobic exercise can be started at 2 weeks with progression to vigorous activity at 3 weeks if your eyes feel comfortable.

Web reference: http://saveyourface.com/whatsnew/2006/11/05/blepharoplasty-boston-how-to-avoid-%E2%80%9Choundog-eyes%E2%80%9D/

I'd wait 2 weeks

+1

It depends on the amount of surgery you will be getting, a minimal canthopexy versus a full tarsal strip canthoplasty would have different recovery times. Generally speaking I would wait at least 2 weeks to be safe that while straining you don't pop a stitch or open your wound inadvertently.

Guidelines are always 1-2 weeks for eyelid surgery recovery

+1

Again consult with your surgeon but I usually advise only light exercise between week one and two due to throbbing that can occur in the surgical site.

Youngstown Facial Plastic Surgeon

Canthoplasty and exercise

+1

Hi,

I would recommend taking at least a week off after your surgery, but you should speak to your surgeon to see if he/she has any specific recommendations. In general, you want to avoid elevating your blood pressure in the immediate post-operative period, as this can lead to bleeding complications. Your surgeon may be able to write a note for your gym or trainer explaining that you need to take a break for medical reasons -- in some cases this helps to avoid having to pay for something you can't use. Good luck, /nsn.

What did your surgeon tell you?

+1

Dear Christine

WIth regard to down time, I let my patient walk up to 3 miles per hour level on a treadmill for the first three weeks but noting else. After three weeks, physical restrictions are removed. However, it matters very little what I think, you need to follow the directions of your surgeon to the letter.

There are very few things for which a "canthoplasty" is the right answer. So I am hoping that you have done your homework on your doctor and what is proposed makes sense and is supported by the opinions of other surgeons.

For this type of work please recognize that oculoplastic surgeons (board certified ophthalmologist with ASOPRS fellowship training in eyelid surgery are without question the best trained in dealing with issues that many require a canthoplasty. Other types of surgeons perform procedures that they refer to as canthoplasties but in many cases what is actually done is an external eyelid procedure with some type of stitch used to reinforce the outer corner of the eyelid. By and large, these are not a substitute for a properly designed and executed lower eyelid procedure.

Depends on your surgeon

+1

You really need to address this question to your surgeon because it depends on the type and complexity of surgery that you are having.  In most cases 7 to 10 days is sufficient to return to your regular exercise program.

One week for most activities

+1

This is definitely something that you should discuss with your surgeon. I ask my patients to refrain from strenuous activity for one week after surgery. You would want to avoid anything that is likely to result in getting bumped in the face for about six weeks.

A canthoplasty involves tightening very delicate tissues. It is important to give your body a chance to heal so that the attachment is strong. For that reason you want to avoid anything that would result in pulling on the lid for as long as possible.

Philadelphia Oculoplastic Surgeon