Thin Skin Faster Healing Time?

I am in my third week post operation. My tip was requested to be smaller. More refined. It is very large, bulbous and bigger than before. I understand this is swelling. I also understand that perhaps, my doctor was very conservative during surgery. Since I was told I have very thin skin and thick cartilage, I suppose I should see my final result sooner than most patients with medium to thick skin? After the 3-4 month mark, most people don't notice any more changes. Will this apply for me?

Thin Skin Faster Healing Time?

At 3 weeks following rhinoplasty, you should still have some swelling.  Tip swelling is the last to resolve.   Even in thin skin, the result may take a year to develop.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Thin Skin Faster Healing Time?

Thank you for your question!

It is understandable that you are concerned especially with the bulbous tip. Changes after rhinoplasties vary with every patient and what you are experiencing is normal especially that swelling takes time to subside as it masks the results of your surgery.

That being said, in general thicker skins take longer to dissipate swelling. Since you report to have a thin skin and that your surgery was very conservative then it is very normal to see that you would show final results quicker than someone with a thicker skin.

It is important to keep in mind that it is early to pass a judgment. Usually, a year is required before formulating how your nose will be, but longer with a thick skin. Even then, your nose will keep shaping itself to complement your face for better results in the years to come.

My best recommendation at the moment is to be patient, allow nature to take its course and edema subsides for better results. There is no doubt that once the swelling resolves, more definition and shape will be achieved and you should be happier with the results.

Also, it is important that you keep communicating with your surgeon and work as a team together to achieve the best results possible.

Congratulations on your surgery and please remain positive!

Ali Sajjadian, MD FACS

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS