How Long Do Butt Implants Last? When to Replace

Duration of Butt Implants

Butt Implants sold in the US are made of a soft SOLID silicone polymer. As such they do not leak and therefore do not need to be removed unless they become severely scarred, rotated or infected.

Buttocks implants

Buttocks implants are permanent devices.  They are made of soft semi-solid material, unlike breast implants, so they do not rupture and thus do not need to be replaced.  They are usually the second choice for buttocks augmentation and shaping to liposuction and fat transfer.  Hope this helps and best of luck. 

Luis H. Macias, MD

How will the implants last

We know that silicone is a stable material over many years. The implants are solid and therefore cannot rupture, so unless a major trauma was to displace them or an infection would develop there, they are expected to remain for the duration of the patient's life.

M. Vincent Makhlouf, MD, FACS

How Long Do Butt Implants Last or When to Replace?

The advantage of buttock implants over breast implants is that most patients don't ever need to worry about replacement - butt implants are made of more solid silicone (though some new ones still maintain a nice squishy feel like a firm but still natural buttock!), so there aren't the same issues as for breasts - Placed correctly and after healing, they should last a lifetime.  Breast implants are designed differently so there are chances of rupture, which increases with time, and hence thought more likely to require replacement.

Ghada Afifi, MD

Buttock Implants Longevity

Unlike breast implants, buttock implants are made to be permanent because they are made of semi-solid soft silicone rubber not silicone gel...RAS

Ryan Stanton, MD

Replacing buttock implants

Buttock implants are made of solid silicone which do not need to be replaced.  it's just important for them to placed in the correct position.

Joshua Korman, MD
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

Longevity of butt implants

Butt implants are not like breast implants. Butt implants are actually solid pieces of silicone plastic. They cannot leak or rupture. If placed properly, your body will tolerate the implant well and you will not have problems with excess scarring or displacement of the implants. If done appropriately, your implants should not need to be replaced

Pat Pazmino, MD

How often should buttock implants be replaced?

Although buttocks implants have been on the market for over 25 years, I am not aware of any study that addressed the issue of replacement rates.

For some reason, buttock implants have never caught on, even though techniques had been perfected way before fat grafting to the buttocks was refined.

Most surgeons who focus on buttocks reshaping are choosing fat grafting by a large margin. I do many butt lifts a year, and I haven't done a butt implant in over 2 years. It's just that when I sit down to explain the pros and cons, the cons for the butt implants far outnumber the cons for fat transfer.

Briefly put, the butt implant is a mechanical device, and as such it has a failure rate, much like breast implants. Fat, on the other hand, is yours, and the fat that takes is there for life.

Read more below:

Ricardo L. Rodriguez, MD

Butt Implants Lifespan

Butt implants are made from solid silicone, therefore they do not need to be replaced. Best of luck!

Butt implants longevity

Dear emer,

Butt implants, unlike fat injection do not disappear. Fat injection in large quantity, does not survive and  completly disappear or almost completely disappear  after 1 year. The silicone implants are non bio-degradeable and since they are soft solid , they do ot leak or break. Theoretically the can degrade over time, however in over 10 years of performing butt implants surgery , I did not witness it.  So, the only reason to replace them will be if they break or deteriorate. Most importantly, consult with a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust, who performs lots of butt implants surgery and you like his or hers results.

Dr Widder