Hydrogel/Silicone Butt Injections: Is This Safe and Legal?

I was interested in enhancing my butt but I don't want surgery or anesthesia. I was looking on line and found something called Hydrogel injections but its hard to find a surgeon who does this. Is this an effective way to augment the butt area, and where is it available (in the northeast)?

Hydrogel Injections for Butt Augmentation-- Don't do it!

+6

The reason it is hard to find a qualified Plastic Surgeon is because this hydrogel is not an FDA approved product for Butt Augmentation. Furthermore, media reports are not good, and some are terrifying. I have seen several patients who have been deformed by Hydrogel Injections by another practitioner. The sad thing is that non-physicians are  engaged in providing this service.  When things go wrong, they have no idea what to do.

If you desire Butt Augmentation, it is best to use your own adipose fat. This procedure is called the Brazilian Butt Lift.  It is natural and safe. Save your money until you can afford it. If not, it is better to not do anything . Or-- just buy a pair of butt enhancing Spanx! 

More information about the risks for Hydrogel Injections are provided in the link below.

Dr. Ricardo Rodriguez

Don't even think about it!

+6

Material other than your own fat can be dangerous to your health. This is a terrible procedure. Enhance your front not your back. Some one needs to develope padded shorts.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

FIVE THINGS you must know about Hydrogel Buttock injections

+2

1. This is not approved in the US by the FDA.  A big tip off right there. 
2. This procedure has had several reported problems with infections and other complications.
3. It is not necessary to use Hydrogel when more superior ways such as fat injections or a very nice implant are the way to go.
4. Many times fat injection can be done in combination with an implant to obtain a more custom shape.
5. Don’t trust you backside to anyone but a Boarded Plastic Surgeon with plenty of before & after photos as well as happy patients you can speak with.

Good luck!!

Douglas S. Steinbrech, MD

Avoid hydrogel injections into the butt

+2
While it may sound appealing to beta gel injected into your butt and avoid surgery... However you need to realize. That this is not done by reputable surgeons because of the horrific complications that come from this procedure. In our clinic we offer fat injections or butt implants (if the patient does not have sufficient fat) Sincerely, Martin Jugenburg, MD

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Hydrogel butt injections are extremely dangerous and illegal to inject in the US. Not FDA approved.

+2

Many patients call our office asking for the hydrogel injections.  There isn't any safe or legal ways to increase butt size without surgery.  Brazilan butt lift used your own fat cells to enhance the butt.  The abdomen is liposuctioned and the fat is used in the butt.  If you are still considering PMMA or hydrogel injections, think twice about what you are injecting into your body.  If you are against having surgery, forget about any butt procedures. 

Hydrogel not available for Buttock Enhancement in the US

+2

Hydrogel is not avialble in the US.

Even if you can find medical grade hydrogel (Aquamid) to inject into the buttock it will cost several thousands of $ to inject 300-500 cc in each buttock.

The safety of hydrogel is not fully known yet.

+1
Simply DO NOT do this.  Period.  There are so many safer, proven techniques of buttock enhancement.  Good luck and be safe.

John T. Nguyen, MD, FACS, FICS
Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

John Nguyen, MD, FACS

Butt Injections: Don't do it.

+1
Hello hiss at 1st. kiss, thank you for your question.

As for your question, I can answer that Biopolymers NEVER should be injected, because you present at any time iatrogenic allogenosis and probably A.S.I.A. syndrome.
Our plastic surgery center specializes in the treatment of Biopolymers injections (permanent fillers: liquid silione, Polyacrylamide Gel, PMMA, Biogel, Macrolane, Metacryletc.) to the face, buttocks and other soft tissue and its complications. We see patients that came worldwide who have complications arising from Biopolymers injections to soft tissues. The Biopolymers cause a severe inflammatory reaction that can cause permanent damage to the tissues known as Iatrogenic Allogenosis and an autoimmune syndrome (A.S.I.A. Syndrome). In our plastic surgery center, I developed the technique of resection of biopolymersin face, buttocks and lower back through video – endoscopy, a surgery made with minnimal incissions to treat patients with permanent deformities secundary to Biopolymers injections. Other techniques such as liposuction, VASER or LASER are absolutely ineffective in treating this type of situation.
I hope it has been helpful.

Spanish translation provided by doctor:

Hola hiss at 1st. kiss, gracias por su pregunta.

En cuanto a tu pregunta, puedo responderte que los biopolímeros NUNCA deben ser inyectados pues presentarás en algún momento alogenosis iatrogénica y probablemente Sindrome de A.S.I.A.

Nuestro Centro de Cirugía Plástica se especializa en el tratamiento de biopolimeros (rellenos permanentes: silicona liquida, poli acrilamida gel, PMMA, Biogel, Macrolane, Metacryl, etc.), inyectados en el rostro, glúteos y otros tejidos blandos y sus complicaciones. Recibimos pacientes de todo el mundo que presentan complicaciones originadas por la inyeccion de biopolímeros. Los biopolímeros causan una reaccion inflamatoria severa que puede causar daño permanente a los tejidos conocida como Alogenosis Iatrogénica y un síndrome de auto inmunidad (Síndrome de A.S.I.A.). En nuestro Centro de Cirugía Plástica, desarrollé una técnica de retirada de biopolímeros en el rostro, los glúteos y la esplada baja a través de video-endoscopia, una cirugía realizada a través de incisiones mínimas para tratar pacientes con deformidades permanentes secundarias a inyecciones de Biopolímeros. Otras técnicas como liposucción, LASER o VASER son absolutamente ineficientes en el tratamiento de esta situación.
Espero le haya sido útil.

Carlos Alberto Rios Garcia, MD
Colombia Plastic Surgeon

Buttock Injection - Silicone

+1
I would NOT have silicone injections or any other substances injected into your buttock that is not fat. That is a set-up for life long problems. Some people have these injections and are fine, but the people that have problems have them for life. Do not have silicone injections to your buttock.

The only injection that you should use to enhance your buttock is fat. Anything else would not be recommended. Patients have had tremendous results with the Brazilian Butt Lift (fat transfer to the buttock). This procedure allows your surgeon to shape your entire body.

With that said I would tell you that when it comes to your body, I would not choose your surgeon by who is the cheapest or have something injected just because it is easy. It is important to have several consultations with board certified plastic surgeons. Also make sure that your surgery is being performed in an accredited surgery center or hospital.

It is important to ask the right questions during your consultation:

• 1.Is your surgeon a board certified plastic surgeon?
    • a.Be sure he or she is a plastic surgeon, there are a lot surgeons that are cosmetic surgeons or board certified in other fields other than plastic surgery. They do not do the same training as a plastic surgeon.
    • b.You can check the American Board of Plastic Surgery website for a list of plastic surgeons in your area.
  • 2.Does your surgeon commonly perform this procedure?
    • a.Ask to see before and after pictures or look online for reviews on the procedure.
  • 3.Where is the surgery performed
    • a.Is the procedure performed in an accredited surgery center or hospital?
  • 4.Who performs the anesthesia for the procedure?
    • a.Is an anesthesiologist performing the anesthesia?
I would advise you to see a board certified plastic surgeon that performs a lot of fat transfer procedures. In my practice the Brazilian Butt Lift is one of the procedures where patient are extremely happy after surgery.

Johnny Franco, MD