Hydrogel/Silicone Butt Injections: Is This Safe and Legal?

I was interested in enhancing my butt but I don't want surgery or anesthesia. I was looking on line and found something called Hydrogel injections but its hard to find a surgeon who does this. Is this an effective way to augment the butt area, and where is it available (in the northeast)?

Hydrogel Injections for Butt Augmentation-- Don't do it!

+4

The reason it is hard to find a qualified Plastic Surgeon is because this hydrogel is not an FDA approved product for Butt Augmentation. Furthermore, media reports are not good, and some are terrifying. I have seen several patients who have been deformed by Hydrogel Injections by another practitioner. The sad thing is that non-physicians are  engaged in providing this service.  When things go wrong, they have no idea what to do.

If you desire Butt Augmentation, it is best to use your own adipose fat. This procedure is called the Brazilian Butt Lift.  It is natural and safe. Save your money until you can afford it. If not, it is better to not do anything . Or-- just buy a pair of butt enhancing Spanx! 

More information about the risks for Hydrogel Injections are provided in the link below.

Dr. Ricardo Rodriguez

Hydrogel butt injections are extremely dangerous and illegal to inject in the US. Not FDA approved.

+4

Many patients call our office asking for the hydrogel injections.  There isn't any safe or legal ways to increase butt size without surgery.  Brazilan butt lift used your own fat cells to enhance the butt.  The abdomen is liposuctioned and the fat is used in the butt.  If you are still considering PMMA or hydrogel injections, think twice about what you are injecting into your body.  If you are against having surgery, forget about any butt procedures. 

Don't even think about it!

+4

Material other than your own fat can be dangerous to your health. This is a terrible procedure. Enhance your front not your back. Some one needs to develope padded shorts.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

FIVE THINGS you must know about Hydrogel Buttock injections

+2

1. This is not approved in the US by the FDA.  A big tip off right there. 
2. This procedure has had several reported problems with infections and other complications.
3. It is not necessary to use Hydrogel when more superior ways such as fat injections or a very nice implant are the way to go.
4. Many times fat injection can be done in combination with an implant to obtain a more custom shape.
5. Don’t trust you backside to anyone but a Boarded Plastic Surgeon with plenty of before & after photos as well as happy patients you can speak with.

Good luck!!

Douglas S. Steinbrech, MD

Avoid hydrogel injections into the butt

+2
While it may sound appealing to beta gel injected into your butt and avoid surgery... However you need to realize. That this is not done by reputable surgeons because of the horrific complications that come from this procedure. In our clinic we offer fat injections or butt implants (if the patient does not have sufficient fat) Sincerely, Martin Jugenburg, MD

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Hydrogel not available for Buttock Enhancement in the US

+2

Hydrogel is not avialble in the US.

Even if you can find medical grade hydrogel (Aquamid) to inject into the buttock it will cost several thousands of $ to inject 300-500 cc in each buttock.

The safety of hydrogel is not fully known yet.

This is not an effective treatment

+1

There is no FDA approved injectable that has been created for large volume injectiona to the buttocks. The only thing you should consider is either fat grafting or buttock implants. Fat grafting is preferable.

Saeed Marefat, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Buttock augmentation alternatives?

+1

The Brazilian Butt Lift (liposuction of your lower back, waist, abdomen, etc, and injection of this fat into your buttocks) is a SAFE, effective buttock augmentation technique. I STRONGLY suggest you avoid any alternative injections (I have seen men and women with liquid silicone injected into their buttocks with HORRIBLE results and complications, wounds, infections, etc).

If you're interested in buttock augmentation surgery, I suggest you visit with an experienced Board Certified PLASTIC SURGEON.

I hope that helps and wish you all the best!

James Knoetgen, III, MD
Fresno Plastic Surgeon

Buttock enhancement with synthetic injections prone to complications

+1

You have heard numerous warnings here of the possible risks associated with injection of synthetic materials, such as hydrogel, into the buttocks. Because of the potential danger and lack of approval from the FDA you will not find a reputable Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who performs such procedures. I have now treated serious complications in several patients at my hospital who have undergone Hydrogel injections in South America. But other substances such as liquid silicone and PMMA are not safe alternatives either. So there is no shortcut to safe, quality results and careful surgical treatment remains the best and only sensible option.

Peter Bray, MD