Will the Buccal Fat Removal Scar Inside Mouth Go Away?

I had buccal fat removal a week ago. There are two huge, nasty looking cuts inside my mouth. Even though people can see it, will there be scarring and lumpiness inside my mouth, or will it heal to be like before?

Buccal Fat Removal Scar Heals Relatively Fast

+1

Dear Bumbumbaby,

It is normal to feel the "lumpiness" you have mentioned in your description. You will need to give the scars some time to heal without you trying to feel it constantly with your tongue.

Eventually the scar will become flat and less distinguishable. Patience is required while healing takes its natural course.

Thank you for sharing your concern.

Dr. Sajjadian

The inside of the mouth heals very well

+1

You need not worry.  The incisions in your mouth should look the way they do at the moment.  They will heal and the scar will be flat and slightly lighter in color than the rest of the mucosa in your mouth but in no way should be offensive.  Just give it some time.  Usually in 2-3 weeks the incisions will look amazingly flat, and will continue to improve.

Leif L. Rogers, MD, FACS

Buccal fat pad removal scar will soften over time.

+1

Any new scar inside the mouth will feel firm, sore, and raised, and if you look hard enough it will also be visible at first. Over time, however, just like wisdom teeth removal, cleft palate repair, or any kind of intraoral surgery, these scars will soften, fade, and become virtually undetectable, even to close inspection. But, this will take several months, so be patient and try not to "fuss with" the scar with your tongue!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon