Bruising After Botox?

I have had botox in my forehead and crows feet on 3 occasions now. On the last occasion, I received a large bruise next to my left eye that is still healing after 2 weeks. My doctor did all the right things, but I am wondering why this bruise is taking so long to heal. I am using Hirudoid ointment to speed up the healing process, but it has made me scared of future procedures.

Botox and bruising

Bruising after Botox can occur. Most of the time it is visible the same day or the very next day. In some cases, however, it may become visible several days later. A bruise occurs when blood leaks out of a traumatized blood vessel. It could be that with strenuous activity or rubbing or due to blood thinners that an injured blood vessel dislodges a clot and causes some blood to leak into the tissue and thus cause a visible bruise (e.g. heavy exercise a few days later may results in a bruise). The bruise typically dissipates within a week or two. We often use Intense Pulse Light (IPL) to accelerate the clearance of a bruise.

Dealing with bruising

To minimize swelling or bruising, apply a cool compress. You may also want to consider stopping any medications that thin the blood to minimize bruising. These medications include aspirin, ibuprofen and St. John's Wort.

Avoiding bruising with Botox injections

Bruising is most common in the crow's foot zone since there are many small blood vessels in this area.  Using magnification and careful placement of the needle insertion point can go a long way to avoid bruising.  

Bruising After Botox

Unfortunately it is nearly impossible for a physician to completely avoid nicking any vessels in the face, as it is highly vascular and everyones anatomy differs. I recommend staying away from NSAIDs and alcohol until the bruise heals. Next time, try taking some Arnica Montana, an herbal supplement. It has been proven to shorten bruising healing time. 

Cameron Rokhsar, MD

Botox and bruises

It is always possible to have a bruise with any injection.  One week before your treatment avoid alcohol, green tea, vitamin E, fish oils, garlic, Aspirin and Advil to decrease your chance of a bruise.  Ice applied to the area for a moment before injecting can also help prevent bruising.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Bruising After Botox? ANSWER:

Bruising after Botox Injections or any kind of injection is ALWAYS a possibility no matter how careful the injector tries to be.  The good news is that bruising will go away in about 10 days to 2 weeks and it will not impact the final result. An occasional bruise should not keep you from returning for future Botox treatments.

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Bruising common after botox

Given the vascular nature of skin around the eyes, bruising can be seen. Bruising can take a few weeks to resolve, and from what you've posted, there is no sign of active bleeding currently. While bruising is frustrating, time is all you need.

Ramona Behshad, MD
Saint Louis Dermatologic Surgeon

Bruising After Botox?

Everybody is different when it comes to the healing process of bruising after Botox.  Be sure to schedule your appointments for Botox with an experienced injector.  Bruising is also due to the skill of the injector.  There are also some medications you can avoid (aspirin) prior to help with minimizing the chance of a bruise. 

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

Botox and bruising

Bruising around the eye area from botox can take up to three weeks to resolve. Unfortunately, there are very many small veins in that area and if one gets pierced bruising can persist for some time. You might want to try arnaca montana before your next treatment which reportedly lessens bruising. Good luck.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bruising after Botox

Bruising may occur following Botox. If it is related to the Botox procedure it should resolve spontaneously with time.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon