Botox and Breast Feeding Safe?

My dermatologist administered Botox. I'm currently breast feeding and the Dr. assured that it doesn't affect breast feeding. After I came home to my horror internet search resulted in various sites saying Botox should not be done when breast feeing. I complained to the dr. and he says since its been siginificantly diluted it should be ok. Should I be concerned? To be careful I've avoided breast feeding today. Please advise if breast feeding can be contined.

Botox and breast feeding

+2

I generally prefer not to do Botox on patients who are breast feeding. Although Botox stays in the muscle and does not migrate to the breast, there's just no research proving this because we don't ever run tests on pregnant women, breast feeding women, etc. so it's definitiveness cannot be ultimately shown. I don't think you need to be concerned for your baby's safety or your milk; however, it is not generally advised to do any types of injectables on women who are pregnant or nursing.

Botox and Breast Feeding

+1

Yes, many sources do state that Botox contraindicated for women who are pregnant or breastfeeding.

A pdf document provided by Allergan (the manufacturers of Botox)  discusses the issue of nursing and the use of Botox. According to section 8.3 “It is not known whether BOTOX is excreted in human milk. Because many drugs are excreted in human milk, caution should be exercised when BOTOX is administered to a nursing woman.”

I would advise discontinuing breastfeeding as well as getting more specific input from another physician who is board certified in dermatology or plastic surgery. 

Web reference: http://www.finetouchdermatology.com/los-angeles-botox/

Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox safety during breast feeding

+1

I generally advise against having Botox injected during pregnancy or nursing. While the likelihood of problems is remote, why take any chance at all? That said, Botox has been used for 20 years now, and there have not been any reports in the scientific literature or elsewhere about actual problems noted when Botox was injected during pregnancy or nursing. 

Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Don't have Botox or Dysport if pregnant or breast feeding

+1

Although most physicians avoid injecting Botox in pregnant women or those who are breast feeding, the safety of this hasn't been studied. Understandably, the companies do not want to be responsible for liabilities. On the other hand, I am not aware of reading or hearing about cases of Botox or Dysport having been injected in pregnant women or lactating women who then had medical issues develop in their babies, despite such administration of Botoluinum toxin probably having been given inadvertently to  such women a number of times in the last two decades of cosmetic Botox use.  I remember reading years ago of a pregnant woman who died of botulism from eating bad food and her baby was delivered safely and without any signs of botulism. This may make you feel less anxious, but it is not mentioned to encourage such risk by having Botox injected during pregnancy or breast feeding.  You should see your pediatrician and observe your child for any unusual signs.

The information provided in Dr. Shelton's answer is for educational purposes only and is not intended to constitute medical advice.  The information provided should not be relied upon as a substitute for consultations with a qualified health professional who may be familiar with your individual medical needs. If you are experiencing a medical emergency proceed to your nearest emergency room.

Web reference: http://www.thenyac.com/botox/index.html

Botox and Breast Feeding

+1

I contacted Allergan to pose your question to the medical information team. The company responded that the only information that they had was in the product insert. As Dr. Ruecki has pointed out, there is no research as to the impact of botox on pregnant and breast feeding women. Therefore, women should avoid botox and dermal fillers while pregnant or breast feeding.

Botox injection during breast feeding.

+1

I recommend my lactating patients to wait until after breast feeding in order to do their Botox or Dysport injections. The safety of Botox treatment during lactation has not been established. 

Miami Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox and breast feeding

+1

Thank you for your question. I agree with other doctors in this forum. I would probably er on the side of caution. You may contact Allergan, the company that makes botox, for more information about botox and breast feeding. 

Botox and breast feeding

+1

There are no scientific studies that conclude that Botox in breast feeding is safe or not safe. Always best to er on the side of caution

Web reference: http://www.8west.ca/knowledge-base/refresh/understanding-botox/

Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox and breast feeding

+1

I agree with Dr Rueckl that there is not enough research available to state that with certainty that Botox will not appear in breast milk. its best to not do cosmetic procedures while ure pregnant or breast feeding