Will Botox Improve my Face After I Have Had a Stroke? (photo)

Will Botox Improve my Face After I Have Had a Stroke ?

Botox to improve a stoke victim's appearance

+1

I am sorry that you suffered a stroke and wish you a good recovery. While you are undergoing therapy, it may help create a better symmetry by relaxing the intact muscles on the side that didn't have a stroke. This makes both sides droopy but the symmetry is a welcomed trade off for most patients affected by a stroke who are upset to look so unbalanced.  This treatment with Botox can make it more difficult to carry on certain functions of the mouth with the side not affected by the stroke as the muscles relax from the Botox. It might be easier to brush teeth and eat or drink if you leave one side able to open your mouth by not having the Botox injected. Ask your doctor to thoroughly discuss the plan and the risks and for what reasons might you be disappointed from having the treatment before you agree and have it done.

Botox After Stroke

+1

Botox works by paralyzing muscle. Thus, if your goal is to make one side of the face equal to the other, then Botox theoretically would work. However, it would then be difficult for you to express the emotion that you are with the "well" side of the face, and I worry that this may prove frustrating. Instead, I would recommend working with a specialist to rehabilitate the muscles on your weak side. Best of luck to you! Hang in there! 

Cameron Rokhsar, MD

Botox & Other Fillers Can Help Imbalances

+1

Although it is tough to see in your photos, Botox and strategically placed fillers can help the imbalances that have been caused from a stroke. The combination of both, will yield overall better and more natural-looking results.

We have many patients that have had bells-palsy (a partial paralysis of the face) that have benefited from this type of treatment.

The important thing for you, is going the be very diligent about your schedule (going back sooner, than later) for your treatments to avoid a variance in your look over time.

Make sure that you to a board-certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist as they would have the best practical experience to help you. You should also only go to a doctor that you trust.

Steven Bernstein, MD
Montreal Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox after stroke

+1

Botox has been used safely and effectively in people who have had a stroke, and more commonly in people with Bell's Palsy. The unaffected side is typically treated so as to balance better the stroke side as far as symmetry. Make sure to have a dermatologist or plastic surgeon treating you for best results.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Will Botox Improve my Face After I Have Had a Stroke?

+1

The posted photos are under exposed so very hard to see the stroke effects. But BOTOX can help improve appearances. 

Yes, Botox can help people who have had a stroke and have partial facial paralysis.

+1

Botox can be used on the side of the face with movement to help the face have a more even expression without pulling to one side.   

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon