Bruising After Botox, Is this Normal?

I had Botox injected saturday afternoon. Sunday morning I woke up with a red dot in the middle of my forehead and a few by my hair line. I have read that brusing is normal sometimes. The first time I had this done I had nothing. Its Monday night now and the dot has not gotten any better. is this just a broken blood vessel and how long w/it last? Besides that the botox so far looks good.

Bruising after Botox injections...

+2

Unfortunately, bruising is always a possibility when an injection is done.  There is no magical formula, and any physician who has injected Botox or other fillers has had bruising on occasion.  Often times there may be no bruising at all, but sometimes it happens.  Usually the physician can apply some pressure to the area when he sees that a bruise may occur to decrease the possibility of a large bruise.  If it does occur, it will usually resolve in a few days.  You may feel free to cover it up with make-up.  If you have any concerns, make an appointment with the physician who injected you so he can take a look and answer any questions you have. 

Edison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bruising after Botox

+2

Brusing in a known possible side effect of Botox.  This is why sometimes ice packs are used before and after treatment.  Any procedure that involves a needle stick couild potentially result in brusing.  If one is on aspirin, NSAIDs (e.g. ibuprofen), or blood thinners the risk is even higher.  Brusing will likely resolve in 1 week.  Discuss this problem with your injector.

Dina D. Strachan, MD

Bruising After Botox, Is this Normal?

+2

Sounds very in the norm but why not call your chosen injector? They would know if you has a bleed from the needle sticks. 

What is the risk of bruising with Botox treatments?

+2

Unfortunately with treatments that involves injections, bruising can occur.  Any needle stick can result in in a small bruise no matter the skill of the injector or if all precautions are taken (ie.  aspirin, ibuprofen or other blood thinners are avoided).  It is just the risk of the procedure but the risk is small.  Also, taking such precautions should help further minimize the risk.  If a bruise does occur, quick application of a cold pack and addition of arnica/vitamin K can lessen the bruise and expedite its resolution

Steven E. Rasmussen, MD, FAAD
Austin Dermatologist

Botox and bruising

+2

Sometimes bruising can be experienced after Botox injections.  It is often worse if you have taken blood thinners like aspirin or NSAID's recently.

Bruising After Botox, Is this Normal?

+2

Botox, like all neurotoxin treatments (Dysport and Xeomin) is a needle based therapy.  As such, bruising can and does occur but typically is very minimal.  If you're concerned ask the MD that did your Botox treatment.

Bruising is normal after Botox but can be minimized

+2

The vascular bed within the skin is random.  The more pokes you do, the more of a chance you have of hitting a small blood vessel and causing a bruise. Experienced physicians can become very skilled at minimizing any bruising with Botox injections.  As they say, the most important thing about any Botox treatment is not necessarily the price, but the physician doing the treatment.   There is a new program to designate physicians with solid experience injecting Botox. Look for the "Expert Injector" Certification in a physician when selecting a Botox treatment.

Charles Crutchfield, MD
Minneapolis Dermatologic Surgeon

Mild Bruising after Botox

+1

Yes, any time a treatment is rendered using a needle, there is a possibility of a bruise even with the best techniques.  There are many actions a patient may take prior to treatments to minimize this outcome (ex: avoiding alcohol the night before, fish oil supplements, Ibuprofen, etc).  

We use icing throughout the treatment to minimize this reaction.  Be certain to ask your practitioner ahead of time regarding recommendations prior to treatment.  

As for now, being that you indicated you are satisfied with your treatment outcomes, try not to worry about the mild bruises as they will clear with time. 

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Bruising after Botox may occur.

+1

Dear Patient,

Yes, it could be normal, and should slowly disappear as a regular bruise would. (Don't forget that there are numerous blood vessels around the eyes.)  You can use makeup to cover up any bruising you may have.

Teanoosh Zadeh, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Bruising with Botox

+1

Bruising after you have had Botox injections is not uncommon.  Bruising can last several days.  Applying ice packs after the injections can sometimes help with any possible bruising. 

David Alessi, MD