I broke my nose a month ago, having slight breathing problems and pain. Would surgery help? (Photo)

A month ago I broke my nose. The swelling went down so no longer crooked.The problem I'm having now is that it is harder to breath. Not impossible just harder.When I laugh I snort horribly and can't stop it. Its like when I breath in deeply through my nose my nostrils suction together.I also have always had a bump on the bridge of my nose. So if rhinoplasty is your suggestion could I get the bump removed also? What are my options? Could a plastic surgeon help with my breathing problems?

Breathing Problems and Pain after Nasal Fracture

It will be necessary to examine you to diagnose the cause of your breathing obstruction. The pictures show narrowing of the mid-portion of your nose which is consistent with obstruction of the internal nasal valves. It is unusual to still have pain one month after trauma. If surgery is necessary removal of your hump should be done at the same time.

Broken Nose, Breathing Problems

Thank you for your inquiry and I am sorry for the misfortunate incidence you had to go through!

It seems that you are a good candidate for a corrective rhinoplasty that will improve not only the way your nose currently looks to complement your facial features in a natural fashion but also to help your breathing issue. However, without a physical examination it is not possible to provide you with specific details. I highly recommend that you schedule a consultation with a well-experienced surgeon.

It is important to mention that the finest cosmetic results in any particular case are based on a variety of factors, including: the unique anatomy of the patient, realistic expectations, a well-informed and detailed discussion with your plastic surgeon concerning the best options for you especially covering a deep understanding of the pros and cons of any given choice you will adopt.

Please keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon online who offers to tell you what to do without a physical examination covering the nature and the status of the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative solution would not be in your best interest. With that in mind, it is the safest and for your best interest to find a plastic surgeon with solid experience and certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery who is ideally a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons that you will trust and be comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Good luck!!!

Ali Sajjadian, MD FACS

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Broken nose and difficulty breathing

It sounds like you need to visit with a plastic surgeon who focuses on both facial aesthetics and understanding nasal function.  The nose is a complex structure with several parts that can easily be disrupted with trauma, and restoring the balance between these parts and maintaining nasal function requires unique skill and experience. 
A facial plastic surgeon or general plastic surgeon with an ENT background would be best for your concerns.

Sean R. Weiss, MD
New Orleans Facial Plastic Surgeon

Breathing Problems After Nasal Trauma

Hi there,

If I haven't seen the patient within the first couple of weeks of their injury, then I typically wait at least 6 months (if not longer) after a broken nose before offering any surgery.  It's really hard to say what all you need done without examining you in person, including looking inside your nose.  Your best bet is to pay a visit to a board-certified ENT/Facial Plastic Surgeon who has an interest in noses, so they can address the functional (breathing) and cosmetic (dorsal hump) issues simultaneously.

Good luck!

Dr. Alexander 

Ashlin Alexander, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Deviated septum

After suffering trauma to the nose, you may have a deviated septum that can cause difficulty breathing.  This may be corrected with surgery however it is probably too early for surgery at 1 month.  The bump can also be removed but it is not likely to be covered by insurance even if it was caused by the trauma.  I recommend seeing a plastic surgeon for consultation once the swelling and bruising are gone.

Eugene Kim, MD

Breathing problems

Hello, thank you for the question and the pictures. From what I see in the pictures, you seem to have a slight septal deviation to the left, and both your bony and cartilage upper vaults are really narrow, which I think is the reason for your problems breathing, This is all speculative from the pictures, as a CAT Scan is necessary to assess the cause. But in sum, in my opinion, rhinoplasty will help you with your breathing and you have a pretty nose for a wonderful result

Jose Leon, MD