Bridge Too High After Asian Rhinoplasty?

had augmentation using ear cartilage+fascia for my nose bridge. its 2 weeks post op now and I think the bridge is too high. I'd like to see 2mm down more for my bridge. The bridge's bruising almost gone and I'm afraid the bridge height is pretty much set. If I wear glasses or put pressure to my bridge post-op, would it be able to decrease the size of my bridge? Also, I'm curious, why can't patients be allowed to wear glasses after asian rhinoplasty (no breaking bones involved)? Please advice. thx!

Swelling after augmentation rhinoplasty

+1

Ear cartilage and fascia will swell a bit initially, but will rapidly decrease over the first month or two.  Glasses are discouraged during this period because they can leave indentations and contour irregularities on the bridge.  Taping the nose may help the swelling resolve faster.  

Swelling may persist more if cartilage and fascia are used for augmentation rhinoplasty.

+1

In general, it's too soon to make an assessment of the dorsal height a two weeks after augmentation rhinoplasty, especially if carilage and fascia were used. How much of your dorsal height will go down remains to be determined but it will most likely will go down further. I would give at least 1-2 months before starting to assess the outcome.

Wearing eyewears soon after augmentation rhinoplasty is not recommemded for this may put undue pressure on underlying grafts and potentially move the grafts.

Eric I. Choe, MD, FACS

Two weeks post operative after Asian rhinoplasty

+1

Thanks for your question.  At two weeks after your surgery you are still very swollen and it is still a bit too early to judge the final results.  I suggest waiting at least a year before deciding to have a revision.  Your surgeon may have recommended not to wear glasses so the dorsal onlay graft will not be displaced as this can take 6-8 weeks to heal.  Good luck and take care.

Melinda Lirag Lacerna-Kimbrell, MD, FACS
Sarasota Plastic Surgeon

Asian Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi,

You will probably have to wait around 6 to 9 months for the final outcome. Its difficult to say this soon after surgery what the result will be. It may be too high but give it some more time.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

+1

It is too early to assess at the two week point. There may be some residual swelling in the skin and throughout the tissues so you have to wait. Please be patient.

Wearing glasses is not advised because it may put too much pressure on your augmentation and cause malposition of the grafts.

Suzanne Kim Doud Galli, MD, PhD, FACS
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty, Asian Rhinoplasty

+1

You are still relatively early in your healing, and you still have swelling along the bridge of your nose.  Especially with the cartilage + fascia, it may take months before you see the final height of your bridge (dorsum).  Your surgeon many use kenalog or 5-fluorouracil injections to help expedite the resolution of swelling (edema).  Glasses can distort the cartilage+fascia graft that was used on your nose and also alter the shape of your bridge, so that's why we ask patients to avoid them after Asian rhinoplasty.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD