Is There Anything I Can Do to Lessen the Risk of an Infection in my Gore-tex Implant?

I recently had Asian rhino where a thin gore-tex implant was used to elevate my bridge. Although this is a highly popular practice in Asia, it appears that many doctors from the West frown upon this implant. I live day to day worried about the 'high risk' of infection. Is there anything I can do to lessen the risk of an infection occurring?

Reducing the risk of infection with Gore-tex implant

+1

I wouldn't fixate on the risk of infection and enjoy your nose.  The main way to reduce the risk of infection is to avoid any major trauma to your nose.  It's also important to follow up with your surgeon at the first sign of any infection to ensure timely treatment.  

Risk of infection with Gore-tex nose implant.

+1

Although I hardly use Gore-tex nose implant, it has been used successfully by many surgeons. Now that you have done the procedure, I would advise you not to be overly concerned as the risk of infection is small if the implant was used strictly as a dorsal implant.

However, you should be aware of signs of infection so you can detect early and get medical advice immediately. Some of these signs are swelling, pain, redness, fluid discharge and foul-smell.

Try to avoid injuring the lining tissues inside the nose and nose skin.

Eric I. Choe, MD, FACS

+1

I'm afraid that I don't share the degree of optimism regarding the use of Gore Tex nasal implants.  I wrote a scientific paper back in the late 1990's describing numerous cases of Gore Tex nasal implants for tip grafts as well as elevated bridges that became infected some 5-7 years later for no apparent reason.  The unreliable nature of Gore Tex, IMHO, makes it unusable for nasal implants during Rhinoplasty.  

If there is something else that you would like to improve on your nose, I'd suggest Revision Rhinoplasty to replace the Gore Tex with a straight silastic nasal implant.  If you like the appearance, of your nose, just watch the implant and at the first sign of tenderness, redness or nasal discharge have it removed and replaced.  Hope this helps.

The likelihood of your Gore-Tex nasal implant getting infected over your lifetime is around 5%.

+1

I like the use of GoreTex(ePTFE) for raising the height of the nasal bridge when Rhinoplasty Surgery is necessary. The implant may be custom carved in the OR, and my patients have been satisfied.

If you're concerned about the low likelihood of infection, try to avoid nasal trauma, and seek prompt medical attention for any infection in the head and neck area that might act as a source for potential graft infection. I wouldn't worry about this too much: 95% is good odds.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon