Breasts Are Uneven 9 Dyas After Breast Augmentation, Is This Normal?

I am 9 days post op. My breast were about the same size before my surgery, therefor I got 525 cc's in both breast and ever since 2 days after surgery I have noticed that my left breast is larger then my right. Is one healing quicker than the other? Is this normal or is something wrong?

Recovery Time

Thank you for your question. I have included some typical expectations of breast surgery recovery and signs to watch for following breast augmentation:

• Stiffness, swelling and bruising in the chest region: These are normal experiences as the skin, muscles and tissue heal. Pain medication and muscle relaxants will help you cope with any discomfort. Consistent sharp pain should be reported to your board-certified surgeon.
  • Hypersensitivity of nipples or lack of sensitivity: This is normal and will gradually resolve over time.
  • A mild to severe itchy feeling of the breasts is possible as healing progresses. An antihistamine like Benadryl can help to alleviate severe, constant itchiness. If the skin becomes red and hot to the touch, contact your board-certified surgeon immediately.
  • Asymmetry, the breasts look different, or heal differently: Breasts may look or feel quite different from one another in the days following surgery. This is normal. No two breasts in nature or following surgery are perfectly symmetrical.
  • Discuss returning to work with your board-certified surgeon, in our office it is typically 3-5 days post-surgery but you may not overexert yourself or do any heavy lifting.
  • You may resume exercise and your normal routine at six weeks unless your surgeon advises otherwise.
Every patient recovers differently and each breast heals at its own rate. Continue to follow up with your board-certified plastic surgeon throughout your recovery and keep them informed of any pain or other concerns. Best of luck.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Best to be evaluated immediately by your chosen surgeon JUST to be safe. Could be some asymmetry vs a hematoma. Please be seen. 

One breast larger than the other after augmentation

It is normal to have swelling after breast augmentation and sometimes the swelling can be uneven. This means that one breast may be slightly larger than the other after your surgery until the swelling goes down.  If one breast is significantly larger than the other, this can signify a problem such as bleeding or fluid collection.  If there is significant difference in your breasts, you should see your surgeon to be examined.

Please see your surgeon

The difference in the size is very common and you are too early post op. The swelling will resolve over first 3-4 weeks. You should see your surgeon to make sure everything is OK.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Breasts should look great right after breast augmentation.

Hi.

I would see your surgeon right away.  You may have a seroma or a hematoma in the left breast, and these are things that need to be treated right away.  It may be nothing, but you need to check.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Unequal breasts after breast augmentation

Having unequal breasts after surgery is completely normal. You did not have a perfectly symetrical canvas before, and you will not have one after the surgery. In fact, the subtle differences present before surgery will become more noticeable after expanding your breast. If, however, you have a significant difference in volume that was not there immediately after the surgery, then you should see your physician immediately to ensure that you do not have a bleed.

Sean Lille, M.D.

Scottsdale, AZ

Sean T. Lille, MD

Early post-op breast augmentation

At 9 days out it is too early to say if there is a problem.More than likely there was some asymmetry to begin with,  one pocket being tighter than the other and the folds a bit different. Give it time to equalize.

Breast Asymmetry after Breast Augmentation?

Some degree of breast asymmetry is to be expected after breast augmentation surgery. If the asymmetry is significant and/or one breast feels different in firmness etc. you should be seen by your plastic surgeon relatively quickly.  Occasionally,  breast asymmetry may be a sign of a complication.

Uneveness

There is not necessarily anything wrong, but there could be. You should discuss your concerns with your surgeon. It is way too early to evaluate your results. Call your doctor.