Breast Implant Size Too Small, Thought 475cc Would Bring me From A - D Cup, only a C Cup Now?

I know this is extremely common, but after swelling subsided, my 475cc silicone implants appear much smaller than expected: I was a 32A cup before, am 5'2", medium to slightly heavy build (120lbs). I told my surgeon I wanted to be a D cup. I'm measuring a C cup, and it's only been 3 weeks since my surgery. When I learned my implants were 475cc, I felt that surely they'd be a D cup. Is it likely that I'm just going a normal post-op letdown, or do I need bigger implants to get the size I want?

C Cup or D Cup?

Based on your body proportions, a 475 cc implant is large and should give you a significant increase from your original A cup size. Going larger just so you can be a D cup may not be a good idea in the long run. Try to get comfortable with your new size before considering any more surgery.

Cup size and implants

Usually with that size implants., the cup size is in the range of a D or sometimes larger.  Remember bra companies are all different and they volume of implants do not always correspond to a cup size.

Your post-op size seems consistent with a 475cc implant

Based on your pre-operative measurements, a 475cc implant would probably take you to a Full C.  It is likely that the 475cc implant was the largest your body would accommodate. It is unusual to be able to bring someone from an A cup to a D cup in one single operation. Like the others said, don't focus on the cup size and focus more on how your breasts look to you.

Cup size and breast augmentation

As many have already said, cup size is a very unscientific method of determining the appropriate size for a breast implant.  It is difficult to say anything without examining you in person, but 475cc is a relatively large implant size for someone who is 5'2" and 120 pounds.  I would encourage you to judge your results based on how you look in the mirror and in your clothes instead of based on cup size.  Bra cup sizes will vary based on bra manufacturer and based on who is fitting you for a bra; cup sizes in most bras will also vary based on your chest circumference -- for example a 32C is not the same cup size as a 34C even though both are both C cups.  Good luck!

Anureet K. Bajaj, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

With a 32-A, I would think 475cc would be at over over the maximum a surgeon could easily fit on your chest. Exceeding the capacity of your body is not advised. It is too early to tell what size you will be. Bras all fit differently as you know. It could be you were measured incorrectly. 

Forget about cup size when choosing implants

Cup size is a very inconsistent and unscientific way of measuring breast size but we are stuck with it. A 475 cc implant is already on the large side, so please be patient and see how you feel after a few months. Going larger has long-term consequences such as higher risk of sagging.

Richard Baxter, MD

Breast Size after Breast Augmentation?

It is very possible that you are experiencing a “normal post-op letdown";  it may take several months for the breast implants to fully “settle” and for you to see the final results of surgery. At that point, I would suggest that you not base your happiness on a bra manufacturer determined cup size but on the improvement in breast size in relation to the remainder of your torso.

As you know, cup size will vary from one manufacturer to another. It may very well be that at certain  bra shop you may fit into a D cup.

Continue to follow-up with your plastic surgeon for reassurance.

Unhappy with size at 3 Weeks!!

Dear Austin1343,

Cup size is very subjective and one bra may be a C and another brand may be a D. The most important thing in my opinion is how do they look with the rest of your body/figure. I also think that 3 weeks is too early to see how they will settle and soften. Give yourself 6-8 weeks for that to occur. Another important factor is to see how your clothes fit with the increased size. You may find that if you were to go bigger that it may be difficult for clothes to fit you. If you find that you like how your implants look and how your clothes fit then do not worry about the letter in the bra. If that bothers you, tear out the tag! If you find that the size is still too small, then ask your surgeon for larger implants. Be patient!

Douglas L. Gervais, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Communicate your dissatisfaction.

Most patients tend to speak in terms of cup size.Unfortunately, cup size is not always helpful because manufacturers of bras label their products differently and women don’t always wear their bras the same way.In other words, some women wear their bras snugly, while others wear them loosely.This creates communication problems when talking cup size.It’s therefore, important that breast augmentation patients not become married to an absolute cup size.
Instead, the best results are obtained when surgeons fit breast implants to the patient’s body.In this way, surgeons strive for harmony, balance and proportion with the surrounding anatomic structures.Typically, they want a natural look with some fullness in the upper breast area.
It’s also important to realize that surgeons not only deal with your aesthetic goals, but limitations that are placed upon the procedure by your unique anatomy.In other words, it might not have been possible to place a larger implant without distorting your breasts.
If you have concerns about breast size following breast augmentation surgery, you should communicate with your plastic surgeon.He has dealt with this situation in other patients and can address many of your concerns.With time, many of these concerns may resolve without intervention.Ultimately, you may still be very happy with your breast augmentation.

Breast Implant and Cup Size

It can feel frustrating when your expectations are not being met after surgery. That's why it's very important to have realistic expectations. For a woman of your size, that volume of implant could be considered on the larger end of the scale. Your body might not have been able to accommodate a larger implant, and it could be difficult to achieve a natural looking result with that size. Instead of focusing on your final cup size (especially given the fact that bra sizes are not always consistent between manufacturers), you might consider how your breasts look and feel to you now. Allow your body to fully heal and get comfortable with your new breasts before making any quick decisions.