After Breast Reduction, My Nipples Are Extremely Sensitive and Always Hard; Is This Normal?

I had a breast reduction 7 years ago and I have too much nipple nipples are very sensative and always hard. I went from a 36DD to a this normal and what can I do because it's very embarrassing?

Sensitive nipples after breast reduction

Thank you for your question. Hypersensitivity to the nipple or other breast regions is normal after surgery. The nerves may have been stretched and transiently down for the count. As they wake up, they want to let you know they are still there by over signalling their presence. Hence very sensitive nipples. Things typically do resolve with time. In the meantime, you can take two approaches. Compression or tape to minimize friction on the nipples. The other approach could be desensitization with over stimulation (e.g. vibration).  If the symptoms are too unbearable, then you may also ask your doctor about the use of Lyrica or gabapentin to help with the symptoms.

Nipple sensation after breast reduction

Some patients may notice a decrease in nipple sensation, but in your case it appears that yours is actually an increase in sensation. This is often a temporary issue that resolves on its own.

Nipple sensitivity years after a breast reduction

This is an uncommon problem to have sensitivity of the nipple 7 years after surgery.  It is possible to have the nipple reduced so it is not so prominent. 

Sensitive, firm nipples after breast reduction

Although not common, what you are describing can happen after a breast reduction. Usually the sensitivity does not last this long but, obviously, it can. If nipples are firm and prominent and show in clothing (which can be embarrassing) I have found that they can be shortened in an office procedure under a local. The patients who have had this done have been quite happy. The alternative is to get bras that are firmer and don't let the nipples show, or put tape or a band-aid over them to camouflage their prominence. Good luck.