Breast Reduction, Lift and Implants to Get C Cups from DD Breasts?

I am 5'0" and right now weigh 143 lbs. My body fat % is 35. I lost quite a bit of weight two years ago, then gained some back. I definitely plan on losing weight before, but I really want to get a Breast reduction, Breast lift, then get Breast implants. Small ones of course. Is this possible? And how expensive do you think this could get? I am a 38 DD, and they sag quite a bit. They are heavy, and make it hard to work out and enjoy my life. I would like to be about a C cup. But NATURAL looking.

Great Plan!

It is actually more common than you think to have a breast reduction/lift, then have a breast augmentation 6 months later.  The results with this approach are great.  It allows you do do a very nice lift/reduction operation, repositioning the nipple and reshaping the breast, then allow everything to heal.  After the breast is reshaped you can get the extra upper pole fullness you want with an implant.

Implants for a DD breast not a good idea

With large (DD) breasts that are pendulous (droopy), I would recommend a small breast reduction with a vertical incision technique.  I believe this will give a satisfactory result.  If you are unhappy with the appearance of your breasts after this procedure, you can always come back and place implants in a second operation.

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction

Thank you for a wonderful question.
well as you should be aware the only way to really know what type of
surgery you need is in the consultation office.
but assuming you are clear for surgery and base on what tell us and the picture you send a breast lift  would be ideal, and you have indeed enough tissue to accomplish the size you desire without the use of a implant.
but if you desire the use of a small implant (for a more projected breast) you need to understand that the size of the implant needs to be plan carefully to avoid complications.

Enriquillo Clime Rivera, MD

Breast reduction accomplishes lift and volume repositioning

Based on the description given here, it sounds like you may be a better candidate for a small breast reduction/mastopexy procedure. If your skin is good quality breast tissue can typically be repositioned to a more youthful position on the chest without needing to utilize breast implants. I would certainly recommend reaching your ideal body weight prior to undergoing a breast reduction or mastopexy procedure as this can significantly alter results over time.

Rachel Streu, MD
Ann Arbor Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction, Lift and Implants to Get C Cups from DD Breasts

You have raised very good questions. 

I can not advise you specifically without performing a history and physical examination in person. 
However, in general it sounds like the goal is to achieve smaller volume (reduction), a lift and increased projection which is what I think you mean to achieve with implants. 
In these situations I recommend to my patients that they stage these procedures and start with only the reduction/lift. This procedure will use your own tissues to provide the fullness and projection desired. we then reassess after everything has settled down (6-12 months) and see if implants are really necessary. It is better to use the tissue available than to take breast tissue away only to replace that volume with implants that have their own risks.

Talk to your Plastic Surgeon and define whether you need a lift/augmenation or a reduction. 

If insurance is an option for the reduction, then the cost out of pocket will depend on your coverage but should be reasonable. 

Good luck and enjoy your results

Bram Kaufman, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction and lift and implants

All breast reductions are breast lifts. If you are having pain due to large breasts, the solution is a breast reduction. Adding an implant even after a small reduction doesn't generally make sense unless it's only done for cosmetic reasons. Consider that the weight of the breast tissue removed in a breast reduction is usually less than or similar to the weight of a breast implant. Someone with neck and shoulder pain will not have their problem solved by trading breast tissue for breast implants.
The goals of a breast reduction versus a lift with implants are completely different. There is no question that you cannot achieve "fullness at the top" without an implant, but this is a cosmetic concern, not a medical one. 

Orna Fisher, MD

Breast Reduction

Considering all the different approaches to your ultimate desired result I think the most sensible thing to do is just have a breast reduction with the goal in mind of having natural appearing smaller breasts with a C cup. All breast reductions include a lift as part of the reduction surgery

Fred Suess, MD

To achieve what you are seeking, it is best to break down the surgery into stages. The first stage may be a combination of breast reduction and breast lift (most likely a vertical incision). After 6 to 12 months post this stage, you can assess if you want/need implants.

The cost of a combined Breast Lift and Reduction like other plastic surgery varies considerably across the country and even in the same area. South Florida tends to have lower fees then more expensive areas such as New York or Los Angeles. We charge starting at $5000 + MD Anesthesia related costs for a combined breast reduction and breast lift. Since you can get quality work at lower costs, patients will travel from throughout the state, the country, and internationally to have surgery in South Florida.

To ensure that you are receiving quality work at the most cost effective prices, consult with board certified plastic surgeons that own their own nationally accredited facilities. The quality must be maintained at the highest level to maintain accreditation. The surgeons also have incentive to hire and train quality staff (to ensure that surgery is efficient and enjoyable), to ensure comfortable and private facilities (to encourage referral), and to eliminate waste (to ensure that these facilities can compete effectively).

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Breast Reduction... To Implant or Not To Implant, That Is The Question

Greast question. There are obviously alot of opinions. There is no specific right or wrong procedure. There are different opinions with each procedure having different risks and results. You will have to be the judge. You should look at multiple before and after photos of the different procedures and see which results you like best, including shape, scars, etc. Then choose a qualified surgeon who you feel confident can produce the results you seek.
In my opinion, you would get a very lovely, natural C cup by a breast reduction alone. A breast reduction encompasses both a reduction in breast tissue and skin, along with a breast lift. Rather than discard some of the breast tissue, in can be used for your own natural augmentation. With this "auto-augmentation", breast tissue that would normally be discarded, is rotated high up onto your chest above the nipple, producing fullness from your own tissues. This will avoid the additional expense and the need to deal with potential breast implant complications as well as avoiding the need to replace in the future. There is also additional risks to the blood circulation of breast tissues when performing breast reduction surgery and breast implants at the same time. 

Breast reduction and implants

A breast reduction with implants is useful in women who have very saggy tissue, especially in women with excessive weight loss.  However, most women do well with just a breast reduction, and do not need implants. Having implants may lead to future surgery. Breast implants can always be added later should you desire more fullness.  Many times it is safer to your breast tissue to just do the breast reduction, and save the augmentation with implants for a second surgery.  What little I do see of your photos, you appear to have fairly good skin. I would suggest meeting with a plastic surgeon, and discuss your options.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon