Had Reduction 20 Years PO, Is It Possible To Have Lift? (photo)

I Had a Breast Reduction 20 Years Ago with an Anchor Scar. Now I'd Like to Have a Lift, Firm my Breasts and Improve the Shape.  38 year old, 5'3" 130. My old plastic surgeon said he did not have my records and would be worried about doing a second lift after the reduction. Other plastic surgeons said a lift with tiny implant is safe and will help. Is this a worrisome procedure after having a reduction? I would be open to a tiny implant but ideally would like to be the same size, just rounder. I'd love to be able to go bra less. Is this possible?

+2

Yes, a repeat breast reduction or breast lift are possible. After 20 years, new blood vessels have grown and the procedure can be done safely. As for adding implants, that would be better decided after an in person evaluation.

Ohio Plastic Surgeon

Lift after a reduction

+2

Hi Florence.  In my opinion it is safe for you to have an augmentation mastopexy (implant and lift).  If I was your surgeon, I would be happier knowing the technique used for your breast reduction, but after 20 years, it probably does not matter.  I think the use of an implant would give you better fullness above the nipple, and a prettier breast shape, especially if you go braless.

Lewis Ladocsi, MD, FACS
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Secondary Breast Lift after Prior Breast Reduction

+2

You should be perfectly fine with having a secondary lift after a breast reduction years ago. With the amount of residual breast tissue that you have, there may not be a need for an implant.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Breast Lift after a Breast Reduction

+2

Yes it is  possible to perform a breast lift after having a breast reduction. The doctor who told you that he was worried about doing this is referring to a principle where surgeons believed they need your old surgical records to reproduce your previous pedicle. The pedicle is the flap of tissue which carried the blood supply to your nipple in your original breast reduction surgery. We plastic surgeons used to think that it was important to perform a second lift or reduction operation using the same pedicle in order to preserve the blood supply to the nipple. That is why your surgeon is reluctant to perform a second surgery on you if the records for your initial surgery are unavailable. However at The Plastic Surgery Clinic, we have published a journal article demonstrating the worlds largest reported series of repeat breast reductions. We learned that it is possible to safely perform a repeat reduction or breast lift, if you use the vertical technique, without requiring the knowledge of how the initial surgery was performed. So I would suggest finding a surgeon who is familiar with the vertical technique and who has read our paper.

Frank Lista, MD

Late lifts following reduction very common

+2

It is very common for a patient to require a lift years after a reduction. Gravity still works on the tissues, and a lift can improve the appearance, usually through the same incisions. It is also not uncommon for a small implant to be placed to balance the upper pole flatness.

John Cassel, MD

Breast Lift after Previous Breast reduction

+1

Thank you for your question.   You are an excellent candidate for a secondary breast lift after breast reduction.   You should have enough vascular in growth to allow the nipple to heal well.

The main risk with any revision breast procedure is damage to the nipple blood supply.   A very helpful piece would be to know how your plastic surgeon preserved the blood supply to your nipple.   There are various pedicles or blood supply orientations that are used.   Twenty years ago, it was most probably an inferior pedicle.

I do think you can safely have a small implant placed also.   Take time to discuss your goals with your plastic surgeon and I am sure you will be pleased with your new breast contour!

Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Second breast surgery

+1

Yes, it is possible to have a breast lift after a reduction.  You do not necessarily need to add an implant with the lift.  If there is ample breast tissue to allow for shaping, then an implant is not needed.  I would recommend a visit to a board certified plastic surgeon for a more complete evaluation.

Mennen T. Gallas, MD
Katy Plastic Surgeon

Safety of Future Surgeries After A Breast Reduction?

+1

Thank you for the question and picture. Yes, you should be able to undergo breast lifting safely, especially given that your initial breast operation was done approximately 20 years ago. It will be important for you to communicate your goals clearly with your plastic surgeon so as to determine whether or not breast implants will be necessary to achieve your goals as well. In my practice, I prefer the use of goal pictures during this communication process.

Best wishes

Lift & Implant May Be Nest Option For You

+1

I believe that a lift with an implant can be done safely. A lift will raise the position of your nipple and make your breast rounder. An implant will also make your breast rounder along with restoring volume in the upper portion of your breast.  I would be happy to arrange a complimentary consultation.

Dr. G

Mitchell F. Grasseschi, MD

Had Reduction 20 Years PO, Is It Possible To Have Lift?

+1

Yes but the surgeon needs to be aware of the vascular N/A supply so no necrosis occurs. This stake a very experienced PS.