What type and size of breast implant should I get? (photo)

What type and size of breast implant should I get? Do I need to get a breast lift with my implants? My goal is to have similar looking symmetrical breast. I would like them to be higher and a little bit bigger. Symmetry and a youthful appearance are my main objective. I have had several consults but given different suggestions. I am not sure what is best for me. I am 5'9 and I weigh 197 lbs. I have broad shoulders and wide hips. My breasts have deflated after having children. I plan to have breast augmentation soon.

Breast Implant Size

Yes, it looks like you may need a lift.

Much of the final “look” achieved after breast augmentation surgery  depends on several factors:
1. The initial shape, size (volume of breast tissue), symmetry of the patient's breasts. In general, the better the  preoperative breast appearance the more likely the breast augmentation “look” will be optimal.
2. The experience/skill level of the surgeon is important in determining the final outcome. For example, the accurate and gentle dissection of the breast implant pockets are critical in producing  long-term  well-placed breast implants. I personally think that these 2 factors are more important than any others, including type (saline or silicone)  or model (low/moderate/high profile)  of implant.
3. The type of implant used may  determine the final outcome, especially if the patient does not have significant covering breast or adipose tissue. For example, some surgeons feel that silicone implants have a more natural look and feel than saline implants because silicone gel has a texture that is similar to breast tissue. Each patient differs in the amount of breast tissue that they have.  If a patient has enough breast tissue to cover the implant, the final result will be similar when comparing saline implants versus silicone gel implants.  If a patient has very low body fat and/or very little breast tissue, the silicone gel implants may provide a more "natural" result.
On the other hand, saline implants have some advantages over silicone implants. Silicone implant ruptures are harder to detect. When saline implants rupture, they deflate and the results are seen almost immediately. When silicone implants rupture, the breast often looks and feels the same because the silicone gel may leak into surrounding areas of the breast without a visible difference.  Patients may need an MRI to diagnose a silicone gel rupture.   Saline implants are also less expensive than the silicone gel implants.
Other differences involve how the breast implants are filled. Saline implants are filled after they’re implanted, so saline implants require a smaller incision than prefilled silicone breast implants.
On May 10, 2000, the FDA granted approval of saline-filled breast implants manufactured by Mentor Corporation and McGhan Medical. To date, all other manufacturers’ saline-filled breast implants are considered investigational.
As of 2006, the FDA has approved the use of silicone gel implants manufactured by the Mentor Corporation and Allergan (formerly McGhan) for breast augmentation surgery for patients over the age of 22.
4. The size and model of breast implant used may  make a  significant difference in the final outcome. Therefore, it is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.

Breast lift + implant required for symmetry but augmentation alone will give good result

A breast augmentation with a breast implant combined with a breast lift will be required to achieve symmetry.

However, your breast ptosis or sag is so minor that ypou could achieve a nice result--but not symmetry--with a breast augmentation alone. The benefit of course is that you will avoid the scars caused by a breast lift or dermal mastopexy, which are substantial.

If you decide to have a breast augmentation with breast implant alone be sure to discuss with your surgeon the possibility of a transareolar incision (see pic below) and a subglandular (as opposed to a submuscular) breast implant.

Attempting a submuscular implant in a ptotic or sagging breast can often cause a "snoopy defrormity" in which the implant is too high and pushes the sagging breast down.

See before and after photos of breast lift with implant and transareolar breast augmentation scar.

Breast lift with augmenation- breast implants

you have lost breast volume and have breast ptosis. Altough breast augmentation with breast implants will help to replenish your lost breast volume, you would also need a breast lift. Unfortunately, from your pictures, without an examination it is not possible to tell you what type of breast lift you will need.

S. Sean Younai, MD, FACS

Breast Lift and Augmentation

An increasingly attractive and popular option for breast enhancement, particularly in women who have been through pregnancy and lactation, is the combination of a vertical mastopexy (breast lift) with breast augmentation. This is the ideal breast surgery procedure for women seeking breast enhancement who have experienced breast volume 'deflation' following pregnancy and lactation (and for those with 'deflated' appearing breasts who have never been pregnant), and who have the desire for a fuller breast profile.

For some patients with a significant amount of existing breast tissue, a breast lift alone may produce an acceptable breast appearance. However, it is difficult to achieve fullness in the upper poles (the cleavage area) of the breasts by means of a breast lift alone. In consultations I ask patients how important it is for them to have the appearance of some fullness in the upper part of the breasts, and thereby achieve a significantly more youthful breast profile. For patients that indicate that this is important to them, I recommend a breast augmentation mastopexy.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift and Asymmetric Breasts

Hi Kim,

You are correct to emphasize the asymmetry. The implant can improve symmetry if your surgeon uses different volume for either side. Lift improves the contour, shape and location of nipple. Implant gives you more fullness in the upper pole of the breast and also give you a fuller cleavage.

Hope this was helpful

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Breast implants and lifting

In some respects you don't have an easy starting point. First of all, you need an implant to add volume. However at your height and weight, a proper implant will be wide enough and have enough volume that it won't make you just "a little bigger." Rather, it will add probably 2 cup sizes. If you go with too narrow an implant, with the wide separation you already have between your breasts, you will wind up looking like two tennis balls with a mile in between. The implants should be the same size as each other and the lift will elevate the nipples and tighten the skin. Make sure you go to an experienced plastic surgeon!

Breast enhancement options

It is too difficult to give you specific advice about your best options based on this single photo. It appears as if you are a patient who may or may not need a breast lift with their breast augmentation. You stated that you want slightly bigger breasts. There is no way to do that without an augmentation. The size and type of implant is something that you and your surgeon will need to decide upon after a physical exam, measurements, and a conversation about implant profiles. So now you need to decide if you need a lift. Since you are probably a borderline patient, I would suggest completing the augmentation alone, allowing the implant to settle into position for about 3 months, and then decide if you think you need a breast lift. 

William T. Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift with an implant

It looks like you're an excellent candidate for a lift and augmentation with silicone implants. I would place the scars around the areoalas and use about 200-300cc implants depending on how large you want to be. Talk with several plastic surgeons around your area to see what they would recommend and to see who you feel comfortable with. Good luck!

Implant + lift

Your picture shows breasts with slight asymmetry, deflation, and droop. In my opinion, you would benefit from both a lift and an augmentation. Both procedures could be done at the some time or separately (staged). The size of the implant is really up for grabs. That is a decision not easily made. It requires a few visits with your surgeon and a few measurements that will help to make that decision. Good luck.

Sirish Maddali, MD

You are a very easy case.

Dear Livylive,

Of course, I haven't examined you, but based on your picture, I think I know what you need.

You need a lift on both sides, but you are right to stress the asymmetry. You need more of a lift on your left breast (right in the photograph) than on your right. This can be done with circular scars around your nipples, and the areolas should be made a little smaller and symmetrical. You don't need any other scars.

Then I would use round, smooth walled, MemoryGel silicone breast implants and the implants should go over the muscle. Again, without examining you, I would use a 200 cc implant in your left breast and a 225 cc implant in your right breast, which is somewhat smaller.

You are an easy case, and your expectations seem very realistic.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)