Sports Bra and Tighter Bra After Breast Implants?

I'm post-op breast augmentation from a 34AA to full C (400cc). I want to know how long do you wear a sports bra and would a tighter one be best apposed to a comfortable bra?

Bra after implants is individual

+6

The decision to wear a bra immediately after breast augmentation is an individual one and you should discuss this with your surgeon. In my practice, I encourage my patients to wear a sports bra to give support to the added weight from the implants to give gentle compression to help reduce any swelling. Good luck.

To Bra or not to Bra, there is no right answer

+4

There is no right answer that has been investigated in a scientific manner. Most surgeons have their own routine, though none can prove they are right. Personally, I ask my patients to switch to a tight, elastic sports bra with a wide lateral strap on the day after surgery and to wear it for several days or longer. My theory is that the pressure reduces some of the swelling. After several days, this should no longer be effective. I then tell them that they can switch to any comfortable inexpensive bra that fits well. I also advise them that they will have to change size bra as the swelling resolves, and not to buy a nice, expensive bra for at least 2-3 months.

Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Not enough info?

+4

I usually place the implants under the muscle. It usually takes ~3-4 weeks before they start to drop into place. I won't let patients wear a bra until the implants are where they need to be and things look the best they will look. This may take months. Additionally, I have my patients wear an uncomfortable band to push the implants down for several weeks after surgery.

I never want a bra to be uncomfortable, or worse, painful, as this can cause serious problems.

Discuss this with your surgeon over an exam- he is the best one to guide you toward a happy ending.

sek

Ask your surgeon regarding post-op care

+4

There is no standard to post-op care is concerned. Some situations need more support and some require less. Ask your surgeon. Most of the time, if the surgery went according to plan, I will have my patients do what is comfortable and often suggest going without a bra to allow the soft tissues to accommodate more naturally around the implant and allow gravity to help the implants shape the breasts while instructing use of a sports bra when exercising or doing sports.

Follow advice of surgeon about bras post op from breast augmentation.

+3

You should follow advice from your PS regarding which kind of bra is good for you in your unique situation.

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/breast-surgery-chicago/

Every surgeon has his own protocols

+3

As our answers to your question demonstrate, there is no one right protocol for bra use after breast augmentation, and you should listen to your surgeon's plan and follow it carefully. Personally, I use a bra that has an adjustable band that sits across the top of the implants, so as to help keep the implants from riding up. I place may patients in this right after surgery and they wear it night and day for a few weeks. I have found it very helpful in keeping the implants where I want them, but there are obviously many ways to get the same result.

Web reference: http://www.drsalemy.com

Ask your surgeon

+3

There are so many variables that must be considered in order to answer your question, that you would be best served by asking your particular surgeon the question you posed.

In some cases, I have a patient wear a bra, and in some I specifically may advise against it. Sometimes, I may not have the patient wear a bra and may even put an elastic strap across the top of the chest to "seat" the implants.

Web reference: http://www.antell-md.com/newyorkplasticsurgeon/breastimplants_nyc.htm

Bra or not?

+3

Corpus Christi,

This is a question that only your surgeon should answer. Every surgeon has his/her own protocol for bra use after breast augmentation surgery. You should follow the instructions that your personal surgeon provides. If he/she has not told you what to wear, call their office and ask. Good luck!

Bras After Breast Implants

+2

One should wear what is comfortable whether it’s a sports bra, no bra, or camisole. I generally do not recommend wearing an underwire for the first month. After that, one can do what they like as the shape and symmetry have been determined.

Sports Bra After Surgery

+1
I place my patients in a post-surgical bra at the conclusion of the augmentation surgery. Surgeons handle this differently, and there is likely no "best" strategy. I believe that the bra helps to control swelling, and to maintain a narrow intermammary distance (between the breasts). I don't like my patients to use underwire bras for the first few weeks, since the metallic wire can rub on the area where I've cut and released pectoralis muscle beneath the breast near the chest bone. I want the muscle to settle down and heal before being irritated. I check my patients within a day or two of surgery. If it looks like the patient has high-riding implants and tight tissues, meaning that it may take awhile for the implants to drop and settle, I may tell the patient to remove the bra for a number of hours each day, or to place the bra on top of the upper surface of the breasts to apply a downward pressure. To answer your question specifically, I feel that the bra should be snug and supportive, but not very tight and uncomfortable.