Sports Bra and Tighter Bra After Breast Implants?

I'm post-op breast augmentation from a 34AA to full C (400cc). I want to know how long do you wear a sports bra and would a tighter one be best apposed to a comfortable bra?

Bra after implants is individual

+5

The decision to wear a bra immediately after breast augmentation is an individual one and you should discuss this with your surgeon. In my practice, I encourage my patients to wear a sports bra to give support to the added weight from the implants to give gentle compression to help reduce any swelling. Good luck.

To Bra or not to Bra, there is no right answer

+5

There is no right answer that has been investigated in a scientific manner. Most surgeons have their own routine, though none can prove they are right. Personally, I ask my patients to switch to a tight, elastic sports bra with a wide lateral strap on the day after surgery and to wear it for several days or longer. My theory is that the pressure reduces some of the swelling. After several days, this should no longer be effective. I then tell them that they can switch to any comfortable inexpensive bra that fits well. I also advise them that they will have to change size bra as the swelling resolves, and not to buy a nice, expensive bra for at least 2-3 months.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Not enough info?

+4

I usually place the implants under the muscle. It usually takes ~3-4 weeks before they start to drop into place. I won't let patients wear a bra until the implants are where they need to be and things look the best they will look. This may take months. Additionally, I have my patients wear an uncomfortable band to push the implants down for several weeks after surgery.

I never want a bra to be uncomfortable, or worse, painful, as this can cause serious problems.

Discuss this with your surgeon over an exam- he is the best one to guide you toward a happy ending.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Ask your surgeon regarding post-op care

+4

There is no standard to post-op care is concerned. Some situations need more support and some require less. Ask your surgeon. Most of the time, if the surgery went according to plan, I will have my patients do what is comfortable and often suggest going without a bra to allow the soft tissues to accommodate more naturally around the implant and allow gravity to help the implants shape the breasts while instructing use of a sports bra when exercising or doing sports.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Follow advice of surgeon about bras post op from breast augmentation.

+3

You should follow advice from your PS regarding which kind of bra is good for you in your unique situation.

Every surgeon has his own protocols

+3

As our answers to your question demonstrate, there is no one right protocol for bra use after breast augmentation, and you should listen to your surgeon's plan and follow it carefully. Personally, I use a bra that has an adjustable band that sits across the top of the implants, so as to help keep the implants from riding up. I place may patients in this right after surgery and they wear it night and day for a few weeks. I have found it very helpful in keeping the implants where I want them, but there are obviously many ways to get the same result.

Shahram Salemy, MD, FACS

Ask your surgeon

+3

There are so many variables that must be considered in order to answer your question, that you would be best served by asking your particular surgeon the question you posed.

In some cases, I have a patient wear a bra, and in some I specifically may advise against it. Sometimes, I may not have the patient wear a bra and may even put an elastic strap across the top of the chest to "seat" the implants.

Darrick E. Antell, MD

Bra or not?

+3

Corpus Christi,

This is a question that only your surgeon should answer. Every surgeon has his/her own protocol for bra use after breast augmentation surgery. You should follow the instructions that your personal surgeon provides. If he/she has not told you what to wear, call their office and ask. Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

Bras After Breast Implants

+2

One should wear what is comfortable whether it’s a sports bra, no bra, or camisole. I generally do not recommend wearing an underwire for the first month. After that, one can do what they like as the shape and symmetry have been determined.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Do I have to wear a sports bra after breast implants?

+1
The decision to wear sports bras after breast implants vary with individual surgeons so you should check with your surgeon first.

In general, postoperative bras should be comfortable and snug but not too tight.  If you have to wear a bra, I recommend a sports bra that can be unclasped or zipped from the front so you can easily take it on and off without assistance while you are sore. 

Most surgeons will recommend wearing them for about 3-4 weeks, day and night.  Obviously you can take them off to shower. 

I usually base my recommendations on how you look after your first post-op visit.   If everything looks good and you feel well, you don't have to wear anything.

Adam Hamawy, MD
Princeton Plastic Surgeon