Is There a Big Difference Between 400cc and 450cc Silicone?

My doctor is suggesting 450cc moderate plus profile silicone implants for me and I am worried it may be too big for me. I am 5'2", approximately 130 pounds. He is proposing 450cc based on the width of each of my breast (13.5cm). Would there be a difference with 400cc?

Is there a big difference between 400cc and 450cc silicone gel implants

The differences between them is quite small (0.5 cm in height / projection and 0.2cm in base)
350-4001 BC 400 cc 13.1 cm 4.0 cm
350-4501 BC 450 cc 13.6 cm 4.2 cm

You need to do what you are most comfortable with but make sure to listen to your surgeon's concerns. After all, he has a lot more experience than you.

Dr. P. Aldea

Implant Selection Process

50 cc under the muscle would not produce a big change in size.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.
Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Breast Implant size differences

There are a number of variables and factors to take into consideration with choosing implant size. There probably isn't a significant difference in absolute volume and width between the two implants assuming you are speaking about the same style. However there are a couple of things to consider. One is that the width of your breasts say nothing about the vertical height or the relative position of the nipple to the inframmary fold. Your surgeon should determine if the width is appropriate for the height assuming you are using a round implant. Some breasts that are wide maybe too short and the nipple will then be too low on the implant mound, or the fullness superiorly will be too great, or your surgeon might have to lower the fold too much.

Another consideration is that while surgeons like to upsize the implant since most women in a past study wished they went larger, I have found that women who come out too large are mosr unhapppy because they can't hide the unnaturalness as much as a small women can augment her looks with appropriate bras. I can't answer your question but you can ask yourself what I ask of my patients, "If you came out too big or too small than what you expected, which situation would make you more unhappy?"

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

50 CC is only about 4 Tablespoons

The question of breast implant size is always difficult for prospective breast augmentation patients.For this reason, multiple approaches are utilized to make this determination preoperatively.These include reviewing magazine photographs, external sizers, and recently the 3D Vectra computer imager, to name a few.
Even when tremendous care is taken preoperatively to determine breast size, the final decision needs to be made in the Operating Room by the surgeon.At this point, an assessment can be made regarding how the patient’s breast tissue interacts with the breast implant.Occasionally, obtaining a specific size doesn’t allow the surgeon to meet the patient’s other aesthetic goals.For this reason, locking into a specific size isn’t always a good idea.Results are often better when the surgeon has the ability to make adjustments in the Operating Room.
It’s also important to realize that, for many patients, a 50 cc difference in breast size would be difficult to notice.In reality, a 50 cc difference is less than four tablespoons, which is spread out in three dimensions over the implant.
In your case, I think it’s important to thoroughly discuss your aesthetic goals with your surgeon.Make sure he has the latitude to do what’s best for you in the Operating Room, so he can meet your aesthetic goals.It’s important that you have an approximate idea of the breast implant size that you’re considering, but don’t become married to an absolute number.

Breast Implants

Hi Sofia, thanks for your question on which implant size would be best for you. Right now it sounds like you’re considering 400cc and 450cc. Since there is no way to say definitively over the internet which size would be optimal for you, take comfort in the fact that the surgeon uses your unique measurements and is able to provide you with a general range. In many cases the board certified plastic surgeon can best be your guide as they’ve met with you in person and heard your aesthetic goals. You may consider doing 3-D imaging; however with nearly all the breast cases we’ve performed, we’ve found patients enjoy doing a live “try on” session where they actually can “try on” the implant in a non-padded bra in our office. This does not give an exact measurement of outcome, rather it gives a nice idea of what to expect. For patients who desire a more natural look we like to recommend the shaped implant. For patients who desire a more full, voluptuous look we recommend a higher profile implant. And remember that all breasts have at least some amount of asymmetry (we like to say they’re like sisters and not twins). My very best to you. – Dr. Brian Coan

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Difference between 400 and 450cc Breast Implants is About 2 Tablespoons

If you are afraid you will be too big go SMALLER.

Tell your surgeon your concerns.

You, not your surgeon, should decide on the size of Breast Implants. See a doctor who has the Mentor Sizing System and try different sizes and see what YOU like.

Size difference in implant volume

Do not be embarrassed to tell your plastic surgeon that you prefer a smaller implant.  Every tablespoon is 15cc so in reality you are reducing the size of you implants by less than 4 tablespoons.  I would argue that smaller is safer.  Be sure you are visiting a board certified plastic surgeon and if you are having any doubts, get a second opinion.  Best Wishes!!

50 cc difference

50 cc's is not a large difference in implants. You can do a baggy test or try sizers on to see how the volume fits in a bra for you.

Difference between breast impant sizes

A 50 cc difference between 2 breast implants at the size you are looking at (400 to 450) isn't nearly as significant as the same 50 cc difference between say a 200 and a 250. So, try on some sizers that are 50 cc's smaller than the actual implants and go with the one you like best! 

Should I go bigger or smaller? Breast implant

This is a relatively minor difference and therefore you should not be concerned either way. Discuss your concerns with your surgeon so that you feel comfortable proceeding with your implant choice.