One Breast More Swollen After Breast Augmentation

I am just over 3 weeks post op breast augmentation. I received 425cc in right and 475cc in left. My left breast had to have the dual plane procedure. However, that one is way more sore than the right one. Is this normal?

Too early to worry!

The operations are performed as two separate procedure, and heal as such.  The will eventually feel the same, but it make take months.  Be patient!

Asymmetry is normal

Three months is plenty of time to determine the final outcome in breast augmentation. Although there continues to be changes over the next 3 months they are very minimal. The picture you provide demonstrates a very minimal difference. But remember that you were asymmetric prior to surgery. Your surgeon did the best he could to get you closer to symmetry after augmentation. You also have to remember that augmentation enhances the breasts so your surgeon has to limit this enhancement yet try to create symmetry.

Symmetry is not normal in nature. I'm sure your result is quite good. You look great in the photo so enjoy your new breasts.

It is still too early to tell

GIven that you had some asymmetry preop, and that the implants placed are different sizes, it will take some time for everything to settle before you know your final result. I would stay in close contact with your surgeon who can examine you and reassure you as you heal and as the implants settle into their final position. At the moment, based on your photo, I do see the slight difference that you are describing, but it appears to be within the limits of normal healing, and my guess is that you will have an outstanding result once everything has healed.

Shahram Salemy, MD, FACS

Thank you for submitting your question and photo. Your very early in your recovery from breast surgery. Your breasts will soften and the shape will change over the next several weeks. The two separate approaches in each breast will lead to different recoveries.  Discuss your concerns with your Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes

Swelling After Breast Augmentation

Thank you for your question. I am sorry to hear about your discomfort. I have included some typical expectations of breast surgery recovery and signs to watch for following breast augmentation:

• Stiffness, swelling and bruising in the chest region: These are normal experiences as the skin, muscles and tissue heal. Pain medication and muscle relaxants will help you cope with any discomfort. Consistent sharp pain should be reported to your board-certified surgeon.
  • Hypersensitivity of nipples or lack of sensitivity: This is normal and will gradually resolve over time.
  • A mild to severe itchy feeling of the breasts is possible as healing progresses. An antihistamine like Benadryl can help to alleviate severe, constant itchiness. If the skin becomes red and hot to the touch, contact your board-certified surgeon immediately.
  • Asymmetry, the breasts look different, or heal differently: Breasts may look or feel quite different from one another in the days following surgery. This is normal. No two breasts in nature or following surgery are perfectly symmetrical.
  • Discuss returning to work with your board-certified surgeon, in our office it is typically 3-5 days post-surgery but you may not overexert yourself or do any heavy lifting.
  • You may resume exercise and your normal routine at six weeks unless your surgeon advises otherwise.
As always, if you have any questions regarding your recovery please follow up with your board-certified plastic surgeon. 

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation Swelling And Soreness

It is common for a patient to experience different rates of healing for each breast. Pain levels can also be different. If the soreness is quite uncomfortable, I suggest you speak to your surgeon to make sure everything is okay. The best of luck!

Not uncommon for one side to hurt more

Not too worry - it is very normal to have one side be more swollen or more painful - especially if more dissection was done on that side (i.e. dual plane procedure). Hang in there.

Grant Stevens, MD

Uneven Swelling Following Breast Augmentation

It’s not unusual to experience swelling in the post-operative period following breast augmentation. This swelling may occasionally result in transient asymmetry. This should improve with the passage of time.

It appears that you had asymmetric breasts prior to surgery. This was severe enough that different procedures were performed on each side. Under these circumstances, it’s reasonable to expect improvement, but unreasonable to expect perfect symmetry.

It’s normal to have some breast asymmetry even after breast augmentation. It’s still early, be patient and give the swelling time to resolve. Make sure you discuss your concerns with your surgeon. You may still be very satisfied with your results.

Continue to follow your post operative instructions for a normal recovery

This is a very frequent question and yes, early asymmetry is expected.  One breast can be more painful than the other.    Give it time and the implant will likely drop and you will achieve better symmetry.   Right now continue to follow your plastic surgeons advice as far as wearing a bra and massage. 

Breast Swelling post BBA

Dear newmommy,

Your results are expected at 3weeks post-op.  Given that you had pre-existing asymmetry, your surgeon has attempted to achieve symmetry by using different sized implants.  That doesn't mean you can expect perfect symmetry.  You should expect improved symmetry.  I tell my patients that their breasts are "sisters, not twins".

Warmest Regards,

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)