My Breast Implants Are Too Far Apart - Can This Be Easily Fixed?

A month ago I had round 310cc medium extra high profile implants put in. I like the size & shape but unfortunately they are so far apart that I have absolutely no cleavage & a bra cant do much to help this, as the cups dont fit properly around my boobs. Im petite so I understand this may be due to my build, but instead of enhanced cleavage I have a large flat gap in between 2 round boobs. Can my surgeon fix this & how? Would there be additional costs if I'm not happy with the original?

No cleavage after breast implants

+2

I tell my patients that the shape of their breasts after augmentation is simply a larger version of what they currently have.  So, if your areolas are pointing outward,  your implant will be pointing in the same axis which results in a lateral  projection of the breast mounds.  Stated another way, your anatomy dictates your results.  Enjoy your new size and shape.

Oakland Plastic Surgeon

Breast Revision

+1

You should see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for an evaluation and examine the options.  Many times, anatomically, if you have breasts apart before surgery, they will be closer after surgery depending on the implant size, shape of your chest, and other factors your surgeon needs to consider.  They can only be moved so close together before your nipple is on the side of the breast.  Trust your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to do a proper evaluation and make a plan for your surgery that is best for you.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Implants far apart

+1

It is difficult to offer suggestions without an exam or at the minimum photographs.  If you did not have much cleavage to begin with, you may not be able to have much after surgery.  Sometimes a wider implant can help.

Implant profile has to match breast diameter for good spacing

+1

There are several things that affect spacing between the breasts after augmentation, one of which is where the pectoral muscle attaches, but a very important factor is the diameter of the implants relative to the base diameter of the breasts. If the implant diameter is narrow, as with high profile implants, there will be more space between the breasts unless the breasts are also very narrow in diameter. If that is the case, a change to moderate profile implants may be helpful, but only someone who can see you in person can make a definitive recommendation.

Richard Baxter, MD

Implants far apart...

+1

It's hard to advise you well without a photo but, in general, high profile implants give you size at the expense of 'diameter' or width.  This lack of width is likely the reason why you feel like things are spread apart.

Scott E. Newman, MD, FACS

Breast augmentation revision

+1

Pictures would be very helpful to evaluate your situation. Generally speaking however, it is possible to move implants medially by closing off the breast implant pocket on the side (lateral capsulorrhaphy),  If the patient's anatomy allows. More specifically, some patients have a wide sternum making it difficult (and potentially dangerous) to achieve close cleavage.   Keep in mind also, that the nipple-areola complexes  must be centered on the breast mound.

Lateral capsulorrhaphy is done using permanent internal sutures to reinforce the lateral breast fold. This technique prevents the implants from moving to the side (which can be a problem for some patients especially when they lie down).

Keep  in mind that you should wait at least 6 to 9 months before making  decisions regarding the need for revisionary surgery. I hope this helps.

Breast Implants and Width

+1

This usually is an anatomical issue because of the size of the sternum or breast bone. Sometimes, removing the lateral pocket or using a wider implant can help.

Donna Rich, MD

Extra high profile breast implants are too far apart

+1

For the most natural breast augmentation the implant must be centered under the nipple, and move and flow with the breast. When the chest is wide a narrower diameter and projecting breast implant such as a high profile or ultra high profile may tend to accentuate the wide space in the middle an produce a round projecting breast, leaning outward. A full implant in a lower profile may do better, and give more natural flow and cleavage.

peterejohnsonmd

+1

Please read each expert posters comments to understand that your issue could be multifactorial - genetic, anatomic, technique, recovery involved. Also a posted photo is always helpful in advising you. Without one we are purely guessing. 

My Breast Implants Are Too Far Apart - Can This Be Fixed?

+1

I'm sorry for your disappointing result. I suspect that this may not be so much the fault of your surgeon as it may be a lack of clear communication between you and your surgeon his insufficient education on what can be accomplished before surgery.

The location of your nipples will determine the location of the center of the breast implants. If the nipples are located all the way to the side, the implants must be placed there as well. Placing them more centrally will place the nipples awkwardly along the sides of the implants instead of their central position.

Other considerations such as the width of your chest and its slope must also be taken in consideration in both the choice of the right implants and their placement.

Can this be fixed? That would depend on what you looked like before your examination. The best time to "get it right" is always the first surgery. Each revision gets harder.

Good Luck.

Peter A Aldea, MD