Why Does One of my Breast Implants Look Bigger?

First two weeks after surgery I felt the fuller breast heavier then the other. Can it be that my right one is dropping faster? I highly doubt one implant was filled with more saline than the other but I'm just worried. I told my doctor and he just said to massage the fuller one more. Then again, he's always M.I.A so I would like to hear opinions from other doctors. Please & Thank you! P.S Pre-op, I never had an asymmetrical problem. Also, I'm 5 weeks post-op.

VIDEO: BREAST IMPLANT EXERCISES

+5

Implants may tend to settle at different rates and the increase use of your right arm may promote a more rapid descent of this implant but it is still too early. We provide patients with breast implant exercises. You can perform these preferentially on the left breast in order to encourage this to drop.

Implant differences

+2

Patients often do not notice their asymmetries befor surgery unless they are pointed out to them.  Your surgeon has all the info regarding your surgery and so he would be the best one to ask regarding volumes and original asymmetry.

Too early to tell

+2

You are only 5 weeks out from surgery and things are definitely not final yet.  Your left implant does look a bit higher on the chest wall than your right, but that sort of asymmetry is normal in the early stages after surgery.  Massage will help swelling and will help relax that chest muscle and may help that left implant settle more quickly.

IF your left implant doesn't drop to match the right one, then surgical revision would be needed. I would wait at least 6 months to make that assessment and decision.  Best wishes!

Carmen Kavali, MD

+2

Regarding: "Why Does One of my Breast Implants Look Bigger?
First two weeks after surgery I felt the fuller breast heavier then the other. Can it be that my right one is dropping faster? I highly doubt one implant was filled with more saline than the other but I'm just worried. I told my doctor and he just said to massage the fuller one more. Then again, he's always M.I.A so I would like to hear opinions from other doctors. Please & Thank you! P.S Pre-op, I never had an asymmetrical problem. Also, I'm 5 weeks post-op
."

It is rare to have a woman who does not have SOME Breast asymmetry. In the majority of cases, women do not recognize such asymmetry which can be very subtle and usually involves one or more of the following: breast volume, breast location, inframammary breast fold tightness and position, nipple and areola size and location, right VS left chest wall slope and symmetry and breast skin tightness.

This natural asymmetry is ALWAYS magnified by Breast Augmentation, especially with large implants, like the ones you have as well as by an asymmetric pocket dissection, which you MAY have had.

At this point, the implants are NOT where they are going to be and the left implant will come down some. It MAY come down sufficiently to narrow the asymmetry significantly. I would urge you NOT to consider an operation for at least 6 months and allow the healing and inflammation to be completed. A revision procedure should be done realizing that it may fail and result in other complications.

Dr. Peter Aldea

need to wait

The left implant may yet spontaneously descend but a surgical revision is likely to be needed to correct your problem.

+2

Your photo does seem to show that the left implant is somewhat higher then the right. Assuming that your surgeon filled the implants equivalently the difference in positioning from right to left has likely resulted from a  difference in the size of the  internal pockets made to house your implants. Since you are 5 weeks out it is still slightly possible that the left implant will spontaneously descend into symmetry with the right. It might be encouraged to do so by wearing an elastic band across the top of your breasts with emphasis on the left breast. If after 3 months this problem fails to correct itself a second operation will be needed to redo the implant pockets.

David A. Ross, MD

Asymmetrical Breasts After Breast Augmentation

+1
It sounds like you have a good idea of what's going on-that one implant dropped faster. This is very common. Please wait about three to four months for both to settle before considering your results. When you see your surgeon again, you should ask for your before and after pictures to get a better idea of how your results are. 

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Swelling post breast augmentation

+1
Hi there

Thanks for your kind question

You already seem to have a great result and are only 5 weeks down the line

It is quite normal to have asymmetry in healing and the fullness of one side is quite the norm at this stage.

Talk to your surgeon, allow things to settle and massage as recommended - I am sure you will be pleased!

Good luck

Paul Banwell

Paul Banwell, MBBS, FRCS
London Plastic Surgeon

Uneven breast size after augmentation

+1

Based on your photo, the left appears to be slightly higher than the right. Massage may help with resolution of swelling but will not "drop" the implant. Without preoperative photos and implant information, it is difficult to ascertain why. Asymmetry is often magnified by breast augmentation and this may be true in your case as well. However, you are only 5 weeks out from surgery. Give yourself a good 3-6 months before making a final judgment on the size/shape of the breasts. Also, if you do choose to have a revision surgery, I would recommend smaller implants. These are too large for your frame and are unlikely to age very well. 

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant, breast revision, cosmetic surgery

+1

I certainly would like to know your preop appearance and the volume placed in each device.  Is that side firm?  Massage will not change the device appearance.

Robert Whitfield, MD, FACS

Big implants create problems

+1

Based on your photo- I'd say your surgeon tried to place the biggest possible implant into you he/she could- this creates problems with implant positioning and shape. Your left implant looks like its elongated vertically, indicating that there is just not enough room for it in the implant pocket. I agree with the earlier comment- if you do get a revision, go smaller. I also think that implants do 'drop' in position with time. This might occur to some degree in your case.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS