Can You Have Implants After a Breast Reduction and Lift?

My breast are heavy and have been so since my early teens. I plan to have a redution with a lift. But I never see any before/afters that I like. The breasts just don't look full to me. And will the implant cause the back pain/fatigue that I always have?

Breast reduction/lift (mastopexy) with augmentation

Based on the severity and complexity of the case, a breast lift/reduction may be done to help improve the shape and size of the breasts followed by an augmentation as well to provide fullness and volume. It doesn't necessarily have to be a large implant. A smaller implant can provide roundness and fullness while still looking natural and not affectting the weight and heaviness which causes back and shoulder pain. The procedures may be done at one time or may be done at seperate stages. I recommend consulting with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss the best and safest possible options for your particular case. It is important that you emphazise the look you want to achieve to your surgeon. Finding photos of what you would like to look like can help your surgeon determine whehter implants would be benficial for you. Good luck!

How many before and afters have you seen?

probably not enough.  Newer breast reduction techniques use the breast tissue you currently have and reshape it into an aesthetically pleasing shape.  If you are symptomatic from your breast size, then you should have enough tissue to avoid the need for an implant.  Good luck!

Breast implants compliment a breast lift well

Breast lift and breast reduction can share many things in common. In both the nipple is lifted and the breast shaped through a short scar pattern refered to by some of my patients as a "lollipop" incision, or around the nipple and down to the breast fold.

Differences lie in how the volume of the breast is altered. If you are happy with your current breast size reduction is not called for and the gland of the breast can be shaped within the lift pattern. Sometimes in lift or mastopexy there is insufficient volume, particluarly in the upper portion of the breast and this is where the addition of an implant for fullness or projection and upper fill produces a very nice result. There is no need to wait or consider a second operation if the current breast size or anticipated shape will not measure up to your expectation.

If reduction of breast size is needed there should be no reason to consider an implant, and breast lift is the "bonus" of a well executed breast reduction. Take your time and make sure you address corrrect what bothers you.

Best of luck.

Breast implants and breast lift or breast reduction

Breast implants do provide fullness to the central and upper pole of the breast. if a patient is left with inadequate breast volume after a breast reduction or mastopexy they might need to have breast implants. You can potentially develop neck and/or back pain if you have very heavy breasts (either from very large implants or from large and heavy breast tissue).

S. Sean Younai, MD, FACS

You can usually get excellent shape without implants

To massagemamma,

Hi! If the breast reduction is done correctly, you can get wonderful shape with upper fullness. The trick is to shape the breast FROM THE INSIDE with deep stitches. This is the vertical mammaplasty operation that leaves you with just a "lollipop" scar.

If the surgeon relies on pulling the skin together, you will not get good shape, specially in the long term.

You don't neeed implants.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Be specific about what you want

Patients with large breasts usually have a combination of complaints regarding symptoms relating to size or weight (i.e. finding clothes that fit, back and neck pain, heaviness in chest, etc) and those relating to cosmetic appearance (i.e. shape, sagginess vs. perkiness, size.etc). It is possible and sometimes necessary or advantageous to undergo a reduction, lift, and augmentation either simultaneously or in two separate operations.

A good surgeon can customize your procedures to give you close to what you are looking for. Some reduction give more or less fullness in different areas of the breast (i.e. superior, medial,lateral, central, or inferior) while some will need help with an implant.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

You can have an implant after a breast reduction.

The final appearance of your breast is dependant on the quality of your breast tissue. Breast that are fiberous can ofter be shaped at the time of surgery to give you more fullness in the upper part of the breast. However, it will not be as full as it would be with an implant. If your breast tissue is fatty without much fibrous tissue then shaping will not be as effective.

Implants at the same time as a reduction may stress you tissues and lead to problems healing. If you truly need a reduction ( not just a lift ). I would consider the reduction first and then add an implant if you are not pleased with the appearance.

Ralph M. Rosato, MD
Vero Beach Plastic Surgeon

Upper pole fullness

The breast reduction operation will give you a lift as well as getting rid of the excess breast tissue. What you refer to is the upper breast fullness. Try to communicate this to your board certified plastic surgeon. Some breast techniques could give you more fullness in the upper part of the breast. I would not use an implant during reduction as it is counter productive.Good Luck!

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

Reductions plus Implants don't mix

If a patient has breasts that are too large, they should have a reduction and a lift. This won't make the upper pole look full like a Victoria's Secret model however. To put in an implant to achieve that look would also make you too big again. Sometimes your body just won't allow you to have exactly what you want unfortunately.

Implants with Breast Reduction and Lift

The quick answer to this is yes you can do all three procedures: lift, reduction, and augmentation.

I have had occasion to do this at the same procedure and occasionally many years later (more common with subsequent weight loss). In all of these instances, the patients did not complain about the same syptoms they had when they were larger breasted.

I agree with you, in that it would seem natural that patients would report recurrent back pain but this does not seem to occur.

I will be very interested to hear what the other plastic surgeons who answer this have to say but it is very unusual for patients, even with big implants (larger than 400) to complain about back pain. This does not mean that they do not experience relief when they eventually have the implants removed but generally they seem motivated to tolerate the weight and volume.

I agree with you also in that the use of the implant is one of the best methods to ensure upper breast fullness after reduction and lift.