Can I Get Breast Implants at 16-18?

Breast Implants at 16-18

+1
There is no age limit for breast augmentation. However, most surgeons will not perform breast augmentation surgery for women have not had full breast development.

For women under 18, you will need parental consent.

Breast development

+1
A woman's breasts continue to develop until 19-20 years old, and then change over the course of their lifetime. While you can get implants at this age, you may want to hold off until you're 20 or so.  

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Can I get breast implants at 16-18?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question. Breast augmentation is a procedure often sought by women to increase size, add upper pole fullness and projection along with improve shape and symmetry of her breasts. Women who have the breast augmentation done report increased self-confidence, self-esteem, and more comfortable with her body. In fact, it has been the most popular procedure in plastic surgery in the US for the past few years. Many surgeons use 18 years of age as the standard for when to offer the breast augmentation procedure to women. Maturity and the ability to make an educated decision for yourself of whether this procedure is the right one for you as well as factors regarding implant choice, size, incision placement, position of the implant, other adjunct procedures, etc are major factors. Having the maturity to understand all of the risks and benefits of the surgical procedure is also mandatory - thus, most are readily able to comprehend this at that age. 23 years of age is the FDA guideline for utilization of silicone implants.

Good communication between you and your surgeon of your expectations is warranted - choosing your surgeon wisely is the first step. Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon well-versed in this procedure. Research your surgeon's education, training, as well as ability to perform this procedure. See postoperative photographs and most importantly choose the one who you feel most comfortable with and competent to meet your expectations. Discussion of your wishes and having an honest and open dialog of your procedure is mandatory (e.g, implant type, incision, placement, lift, etc). I have found that photographs brought by the patient is helpful to get a visualization of the appearance you wish for in terms of size, shape, fullness, etc. In addition, your surgeon's pre and postoperative photographs should demonstrate a realistic goal for you. Once this has been accomplished, allow your surgeon to utilize his/her best medical judgment during the procedure to finesse the best possible result for you after preoperative biodimensional planning and fitting the right implant for your breast width.

Hope that this helps! Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Breast Enhancement Surgery

+1

It is not recommended unless for a resconstructive purpose, see a local surgeon to discuss options and bring your parents

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC

Breast Augmentation at 18

+1

Breast augmentation at 18 is reasonable unless the patient is still developing.  18 is the youngest at which most surgeons will consider performing cosmetic breast augmentation.  Kenneth Hughes, MD breast augmentation Los Angeles, CA

Breast Augmentation For A Teenager

+1

Dear Louise,

Thank you for your inquiry.

Breast augmentation for teens is a delicate matter. Several variables are to be assessed before undergoing breast augmentation.

Physically, the breasts have to be fully developed. Psychologically, the patients has to be at a certain level of maturity. Socially, the support of the patient's family is essential.

That being said, please remember that commendable results require an exceptionally skilled surgeon to perform the surgery and settling for anything less than that increases the chances of additional corrective surgeries dramatically.
I hope this helps and please feel free to check the website below.

The best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

BAM at 16 years

+1

You need to have reached mental and physical maturity to have this procedure. I would not do this procedure on anyone who is less than 18 years of age.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Waiting may be better

+1

Technically, if your breasts have finished developing and you are mature enough and have a supportive family you can have breast augmentation with saline implants.  I believe that this procedure should be performed below the age of eighteen in cases where there are large asymmetries between the breasts, tubular breasts or other easily noticeable differences that affect patients in an adverse way.  Just enhancing "beautiful breasts" should probably wait until you're at least eighteen.

Eric Sadeh, MD

Breast implants for teenagers

+1

L,

Teens can indeed undergo breast augmentation.  You would be limited to saline filled implants, as silicone gel filled implants are only available to patients 22 years and older.  If you are 18, technically, you do not need your parents consent.  Some breasts do not develop fully until later in adolescence, so an evaluation and discussion with your pediatrician would be recommended.  Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

Teenage Breast Augmentation

+1

I think that augmentation at too young an age can be unsatisfying over the long term. First, the chest wall and breast tissues can still be growing and maturing. The expectation of a large-ish implant under immature tissues can actually cause atrophy and thinning of the overlying tissues, leading to faster fatigue of the tissues and loss of elasticity. Second, psychologically the young patient hasn't lived in her skin for very long in an adult state, so expectations about surgical results are derived from outside rather than inside cues. And young people generally are more suggestible and vulnerable to peer pressure. 

I would focus on fitness and good self esteem until her early to mid 20's before considering this hopefully satisfying operation.

Dan Downey MD FACS

Downey Plastic Surgery

Dan Downey, MD