Does a Shoelace Work for Breast Dropping Below the Fold?

I am 9 days post op and at my last appointment my ps told me to use a shoelace to help the breast from dropping anymore. Does this really work? What causes this to happen? Is there anything else I can do to help the situation? I am so disappointed I feel like I spent all this money for nothing. Just a side note my recovery went well by day 2 I was off meds and up walking around could this have been a reason doing too much? Please help!!

Breast Continuing to Drop

+1

Although placing a shoelace under the breast at the IMF may be something that was suggested, I have never used that method.  Taping the fold at the IMF may be used as well.  Kenneth Hughes, MD breast augmentation Los Angeles, CA

Shoelaces for bottoming out implants?

+1

Hello.

Thank you for your inquiry.

Without physical examination and photos to be able to analyze the problem, it is hard to be provide you with a possible solution to what you are experiencing.

As for the "shoelace" trick, I do not believe that I have heard of it before. I recommend that you communicate your problem with your surgeon for further clarification of his/her "shoelace" recommendation.

I hope this helps and the best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Shoelace

+1

I have never heard of this nor have I recommended it. Photographs at this stage would be helpful.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Implant drop and post operative care

+1

I am sorry to hear that this is occurring, but now that you are a few weeks into recovery there are some measures to assist you for the near future.  The cause of this problem is surgical over dissection of the breast fold when placing the implant.  Most plastic surgeons place implants slighly high on the chest to avoid this problem, and allow the implant to slowly come down into the fold with message techniques.  The other cause is under dissection above the fold resulting in what we call "double bubble" of the breast and implant.  I have never heard of a shoelace being used, but good bra and taping of the skin fold can help at this early stage.  Learn these techniques even if you need a second opinion.  You will still likely need a revision surgery, but please wait a few months until you procede in that direction. Good Luck

Neil Gottlieb, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Breast too low after augmentation

+1
I assume that one of the breast implants is lower than the other. It is possible to get the inframammary fold to stabilize and even to move a bit higher with this technique, if it’s started early after surgery. Make sure your surgeon thoroughly explains to you how to do this properly.

Boris M. Ackerman, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Shoelace Support?

+1

This is a new one for me.  It sounds like your lower breast fold is bottoming out.  If this is the case, try a tight underwire bra.  Regardless of what you do, if the pocket was made too large or to low, you may be looking at a revision in the future.  I hope I', wrong.  You'll need to wait and see what happens before making any decisions

Martin O'Toole, MD

Breast Implants dropping

+1

I am sorry that is happening to you. I have never used a shoelace for dropping implants. There is some evidence that wearing a bra which outlines the breast with wires worn early after surgery can help to reinforce the position of the implants. A company online called "thongbra" makes one which is helpful in supporting implant position particularly if they are too close together. Even if you end up needing another surgery to improve the position, it is advisable to wait at least a few months before doing it. So in the meantime, why not give one of these methods a shot.

Michael Horn, MD

Shoelace for bottoming out?

+1
If a shoelace works to prevent or correct bottoming out, then that is a new one for me. If it happens early post-op sometimes a "thong-type" bra can be used to keep the fold compressed against the chest as the pocket heals.

Hello

+1

I’m sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction with your surgery. Without an exam or a picture it’s kind of hard to know what you are referring too. I've never heard of a shoelace being used in a plastic surgery setting. You should get a second opinion.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

Implant dropping and shoe laces?

+1

Never heard of this before???

You may want to ask your doctor about a supportive bra.  Ultimately, a revision may be needed, however it is too early to tell for sure.  To be sure, you mention no details of the procedure, so I can't give you any more information than that.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD