Breast Implant Removal Recovery

Recovery? Pain? I was told by my surgeon that he could remove them under straight local. They are not ruptured. Is this true? I'm 30 years old. I had silicone 400cc breast implants placed 3 years ago. I was a fuller A cup and went up to a DD (against my wishes, I wanted a C) I'm a very active person and have hated them ever since. I do not wish to have them replaced in fear of future surgery, problems, etc. It was an unfortunate circumstance that I just want erased from my history.

Implant Removal under Local

+3

Yes, if all that is being done is removal of the implant, and you are willing to put up with a little pain while the local is injected, and complete awareness of everything that is happening, then it can be done under local anesthesia only. Alternatively a little bit of conscious sedation along with the local could be a more pleasant way to have this done, but might incur some additional expense and require that someone give you a ride home. Recovery is generally pretty easy, but an adjustment.

It is unforturnate that you ended up with uncomfortably large implants. We always fully engage the patient in choice of implant size, and peform a "try-on" of various implant sizes in choosing which size is appropriate. By doing this we find that patients almost never return wanting to upsize or downsize, or it they do it is often because they chose an implant that we didn't fully agree with. 

Federal Way Plastic Surgeon

Explantation under Local Anesthesia

+3

It is technically possible to remove silicone gel implants under local anesthesia, however given your buyer's remorse at having them, you should anticipate some issues, some of which include: a) hanging "tough" during the procedure, as you will be an alert participant in your surgery; b) making the transition, while your breast skin "shrinks" to its new volume and shape. Remember although the DD size is not compatible with your active lifestyle, you have spent 3 years at this size and your body image will need to adjust. good luck.

Lavinia Chong, MD

Breast Implant Removal Recovery

+2

Simple Explantation or implant removal without capsulectomy can be performed in many cases under local anesthesia alone or with Twilight anesthesia especially for calm patients without significant medical problems.  Not all explants need drains. Many Plastic Surgeons use either an Office OR, free standing outpatient surgical suite or a hospital OR
Simple Explantation or implant removal without capsulectomy can be performed in many cases under local anesthesia alone or with Twilight anesthesia especially for calm patients without significant medical problems.. Many Plastic Surgeons use either an Office OR, free standing outpatient surgical suite which is less expensive than using a hospital OR.

There is usually minimal discomfort afterwards ( a fraction of your original augmentation pain). Light activity the first week and return to work the second is permitted for most of my patients.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Implant removal with local anesthesia

+2

Breast implant removal under local anesthesia is a very simple procedure for the surgeon and the patient.  Virtually painless during and after.

Having had 400 cc implants for 3 years there will be stretch of the overlying tissue.  You may consider asking your plastic surgeon if you are a candidate for internally supporting and lifting the breast.  This involves suturing the implant pocket closed while lifting the nipple and breast.  This can be easily done with local anesthesia as well if you wish.

York J. Yates, MD - Utah.

York Jay Yates, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Removal Recovery?

+2

Thank you for the question. Breast implant removal recovery surgery is usually  almost painless.  The procedure can be done under local or general anesthesia depending on the circumstances of the specific patient.

What your breasts will look like after explantation  depends on several factors such as: the quality of skin elasticity (the better the elasticity the better the skin will bounce back),  the size of the implants used (the larger the implant the more trouble you may have with redundant skin), and the amount of breast tissue present at this time (which may have changed since the time of your breast augmentation). 

Life experience since your breast augmentation procedure, such as pregnancy or weight gain weight loss, will  potentially influence the factors discussed above. If you take these factors into consideration and apply them  to your specific circumstances you may get a good idea of what to expect after the implants are removed.

Consulting with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon in person may be helpful.

Implant Removal Can Be Done With Local Anesthesia

+2

Yes, you can remove implants with just local anesthesia, and return to work immediately.

Expert opinion does vary on the need for removing the capsule (capsulectomy) at the time of implant removal (explantation). Capsulectomy s done to make sure the space created for the implant will seal closed after removal.  If it does not, fluid (serum) can accumulate in the space, creating breast fullness, asymmetry, and even the feeling of fluid moving in the pocket.

Capsulectomy would better be performed with sedation (or general anesthesia) for your comfort.  The use of drains for about a week is common with capsulectomy.  Your return to work depends on your surgeon's counsel in this regard.

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation reversal is easy with local anesthesia alone.

+2

It will take about 10 minutes to remove your old implants under local anesthesia.  It's too bad you paid for something you really didn't want.  Most patients love breast augmentation.  In spite of the money wasted, the procedure can be reversed easily.  Most of the time the breasts look very much like they did before augmentation so mastopexy is usually not necessary.

Recovery Following Implant Removal

+1

Occasionally women are dissatisfied with their breast implants and elect to have them removed.  In the absence of severe capsule formation this is often a relatively simple procedure.  The procedure usually involves re-opening the incision, extracting the implant and closing the wound.  This can often be accomplished with local anesthesia alone.

The procedure is associated with minimal pain and short recoveries.  Since the muscle is undisturbed there’s minimal amounts of pain following the procedure.  Patients usually don’t require narcotics for longer than 24 hours and are able to return to work the following day as long as no heavy lifting is involved. 

If you’re considering this option, consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon is appropriate.  This surgeon should be able to formulate a treatment plan that’s specific for your situation.  

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Removing implants under local anesthesia

+1
Saline implants with very little scar tissue around them can easily be removed under local anesthesia.  If you have minimal scar tissue around your implants, they can be removed under local anesthesia.  Under local anesthesia, your surgeon will probably not be able to reshape or lift your breasts, just remove the implants. You will probably have minimal pain with just the removal.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Removal

+1

Although implant removal can be performed safely under local, I find that I can do a better job with sedation or anesthesia.

I find that by scoring the capsule (capsulotomy), i can get the breast tissue to lay back down on the chest wall more naturally with less possibility of creases or contour irregularity.   I also find the scoring of the capsule to help the capsule adhere to the chest wall, which decreases the chance of seroma (fluid collection) formation.

I wish you a safe recovery.

Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD