Why is One Breast Hard and the Other Soft?

Why is my right breast hard and its so painful? But my left breast looks and feels soft...

Firmer Breast

This depends on how long after your surgery it's been. If you are just weeks after surgery, then this could be due to swelling affecting one breast more than the other, which will gradually resolve in the next few weeks and months. 

If it's been several months or years after surgery, then this could be an indication of capsular contracture. Capsular contracture causes the breast to become firmer, tighter and elevated. You may also feel pain.

Not having more details about your situation, the best advice for you is to see your surgeon for an assessment.

362 Fairlawn Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M5M 1T6

Capsular Contracture?

Without more information on what type of surgery you had, it is hard to know what is going on.  However, assuming that you had breast augmentation in the past, you probably have some sort of capsular contracture around the firm breast.  I would address this with your surgeon if indeed you have had previous breast augmentation.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon

1602 Colonial Parkway
Inverness, IL 60067

Signs of Capsular Contracture

Thank you for your question.  Capsular Contracture is one of the main risks of breast augmentation.   Classic signs are:
1.  hardness/tightness of the implant
2.  change in implant position (typically migrates towards the collarbone)
3.  increased pain and stiffness on the associated side.
Based on your description, you should see a board certified plastic surgeon for evaluation of capsular contracture.    If present, I would recommend a capsulectomy (removal of scar tissue) and implant exchange.  
Factors to consider:
1.  If your implants are above your muscle, you may want to consider switching to underneath the muscle, which lessens the risk of capsular contracture.
2.  If your implants are above the muscle and you desire to keep them there, you may benefit from the use of a textured implant.
Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

9200 Pinecroft
The Woodlands, TX 77380

Why Is One Breast Hard And The Other Breast Soft?

As you can see from the answers, the Real Self team of excellent plastic surgeons feels  you have given insufficient information to understand exactly what your question is.  Therefore, I am going to make certain assumptions in order to answer the question I believe you are asking.  I am going to assume that you had a breast augmentation, and that after the breast augmentation, one breast has gotten much firmer than the other side, and as it has gotten firmer, it has also gotten painful.  Assuming that this was not immediately after surgery and there is no bruising, I am going to assume it is not a hematoma, and that it is, in fact, what is called a capsular contracture on the hard side. 

The body's response to a foreign body, be it a splinter in your finger or a breast implant on your chest, is to form a scar around it.  This scar is your immune system's way of protecting you from this foreign object which is seen as an invader.  When this scar or capsule starts contracting inward, it forces your breast implant into a smaller and smaller space, which moves upward and becomes rounder and harder.  The nerve endings that surround the breast can sometimes be trapped within this scar capsule, which is normally the cause of the pain with the hard breast. 

Why this capsular contracture occurred just on one side and not both is the $64,000 question.  I believe the reason the capsular contracture happens on one side and not both has to do with deferential inter-operative factors working on the two breasts.  Blood around an implant and non-pathogenic bacteria around the implant or in the implant pocket are the two most common inter-operative causes of a capsular contracture. 

You need to return to see your plastic surgeon as he (there are no female plastic surgeons in Hawaii) has several modalities to decrease your pain and, potentially, cure your capsular contracture.

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

1221 Kapiolani Blvd.
Honolulu, HI 96814

Presence of capsular contracture possible.

Although your history is somewhat limited, it does suggest the presence of a capsular contracture.For this reason, it’s important to consult your plastic surgeon and have a treatment plan formulated to deal with this problem.
Whenever a foreign material is placed inside your body, it will generate a reaction from the surrounding tissue.This typically results in the formation of a fibrous capsule that surrounds the breast implant.With time, the capsule tightens and undergoes contraction.When this occurs following breast augmentation, we call it a capsular contracture.
All patients have some capsule formation.Indeed, absence of capsule formation might result in the implant shifting.When capsule formation results in a contracture, patients may experience hardening of the breast, distortion of the breast, and breast pain.Capsule formation can occur at any time and, as time goes on, the incidence slowly increases.When it occurs, patients note firmness of the breast; as it goes on, this may be accompanied by pain and progressive distortion of the breast.The breast may shift in an upward direction and develop an abnormal shape.
The cause of capsular contracture is not totally understood, although multiple theories exist.When capsular contractures occur, there are several treatment options.In mild cases, medical management and massage may be necessary.In severe cases of capsular contracture, surgery may be necessary.This may require release of the contracture by performing a capsulotomy or removal of the capsule by performing a capsulectomy.Treatment has high satisfaction rates and most patients are ultimately happy.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

8900 West Dodge Road
Omaha, NE 68114

Why is One Breast Hard and the Other Soft

Why is One Breast Hard and the Other Soft? This may be an indication that you have formed a capsular contracture on the harder side.

880 W Central Rd
Arlington Heights, IL 60005

Hard and soft

Why is one breast hard and one soft?  It could be related to the implant volume infused, or the difference between the two breasts, or a capsule, or a hematoma, to name a few. Can't say without more history and an exam.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028

Internal scarring

Sounds like your right breast has developed a capsular contracture (internal scarring).  You should check with your surgeon to determine the manner in which to proceed.  It is correctable.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS, FACS

2220 Wisteria Drive
Snellville, GA 30078

One breast hard and the other soft

Unfortunately you have a capsular contracture on the hard side. The cause could be bleeding in that side or to small a pocket formed. Seek in person advise.

From MIAMI Dr. B

6330 Manor Lane
Miami, FL 33143

Reason for a Soft breast on one side and a Hard Breast on the other

While you state that one breast is soft and the other is hard you do not state WHAT OPERATION you had done, nor WHEN was it done. Knowing these facts and especially seeing a photograph would have been very helpful.

Obviously, if both breast were healing the same way, they would have the same size, look and feel the same way. Something is wrong.

IF this was in the immediate post-surgery period, I would be concerned of bleeding on one side. This may be manifested by an increased size, pain and bruising on that side.

IF you had a Breast Augmentation months or years ago, a sudden increasing hardness on one side would suggest a capsular contracture-scarring around the implant which makes the implant appear very round and higher on the chest.

I would advise you to see your surgeon. This is more urgent if you had recent surgery and may have a bleeding on one side.

6401 Poplar Avenue
Memphis, TN 38119