How Long Do I Have to Wait Until I Can Replace Implant Removed Due to Infection?

Bellini lift broke and they went in and removed, added saline and after left breast got infection, tried fighting it for 5 months with meds. Didnt work, they removed implant put in drain, how long do I have to wait until I can replace it?

+1

I would likely be conservating and wait 6 months after consulting with an infectious disease expert about appropriate peri-operative antibiotic coverage.

Time until new implants

+1

With the history that you mentioned, I would have my patients wait about 3-6 months before I would put them back in.

Infection after breast implants

+1

I advise patients to wait a minimum of three months prior to placing new implants.  This is disappointing for both the patient and surgeon, but it provides the best chance of eradicating the infection and preventing future problems.  The risk of having the implant replaced again too soon is that you could get another infection, in which case some surgeons would advise not replacing the implant at all.  Good luck, /nsn.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS

Waiting Period to Replace Implants previously removed for Infection

+1

Implant infections are very hard to eradicate because the bacteria form a "biofilm" a layer on the implant which our infection fighting white cells have a very hard time destroying. The only way to eradicate implant infections is to remove the implants, irrigate the pocket of all bacteria and foreign matter and allow the body the time to go after and rid itself of the remaining bacteria.

Various surgeons would cite different waiting periods from 3 to 6 months or more. Obviously the longer the waiting period the lesser the chance of inflammed and or infected tissues.

As hard as this may be on you, wait as long as you can. Rushing in at this point will result in another disappointment.

Waiting Period after Infection for Implant Replacement

+1

In over 20 years I have never had an implant which I placed become infected although this is something that can happen 0.5-1.0% of the time and the next case I perform could get infected.  I have dealt with one patient a few years ago who had her implant placed in LA and it became infected when she returned to Louisville.  In her case I waited about 3-4 months before replacing her implant.

John Whitt, MD