Post Gynecomastia Surgery: Can an Asymmetrical Chest Improve by Itself?

I'm 26 years old I had gynecomastia from long time and it's bilatral I did gynecomastia surgery from 5 week ago but after the surgery my chest is asymmetrical(one breast bigger than the other).

+1
It is too early to assess the outcome of your surgery.  I would give it at least two months.  Communicate your concerns with your surgeon.  Good luck and be safe.

John T. Nguyen, MD, FACS, FICS
Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Too early

+1

I could be swelling or it could be a larger chest muscle than the other side especially if your dominate arm.  Try and be patient.

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

Assymmetry post 6 months may require a revision

+1

Asymmetry following gynecomastia surgery may be due to swelling, bleeding, scarring or residual tissue.  If asymmetry persists after 6 months consider revision.  If the asymmetry is small must weigh risk over resection.

Robert Sleightholm, MD
Brampton Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry after gynaecomastia correction

+1

On balance it is likely that you have some residual asymmetry that you should bring to the attention of your surgeon. However you should wait for at least 4-6 months to allow all swelling to settle down before having any further correction.

Anindya Lahiri, MBBS
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Healing after gynecomastia surgery

+1

It is important to give yourself enough time to heal after surgery. Sometime both sides do not heal at the same rate, so for now you should be patient.  If the asymmetry persists after 3-4 months, you should approach your surgeon about a touch-up.

Bruce Genter, MD
Abington Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetric breasts after gynecomastia correction

+1

I would recommend going back to your plastic surgeon for a revision.  However, you may want to wait about 3-4 months for all of the swelling to resolve first.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

Assymmetry following Gynecomastia Surgery

+1

5 weeks is still quite early following gynecomastia surgery and swelling or asymmetry may resolve over the next few months.  I would not suggest any revisionary surgery for at least 6 months following your original gynecomastia surgery.  If there is still some asymmetry a revision could be considered, but give it time.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry post gynocomastia surgery

+1

It is possible that there is still some asymmetrical swelling 5 weeks after surgery.  I would advise you to wait about 3 months from date of surgery.  If there still is asymmetry, than you may need a revision.  Minor asymmetry is not uncommon after this surgery, and even excellent surgeons have to do occasional revisions.  It would likely be a small procedure, possibly done under local anesthesia.

Leif L. Rogers, MD, FACS

Asymmetry following Gynecomastia Correction

+1

Hello and thank you for the question.

There are several reasons as to why you may be experiencing asymmetry following gynecomastia surgery. Common explanations include swelling/inflammation, and under treatment of one side versus the other.

Early on in the post-operative period as in your particular case, asymmetry may be secondary to persistent swelling. Persistent swelling is common following gynecomastia surgery and can last several months. If you are generally concerned that the asymmetry is significant I would recommend you follow up with your surgeon for an evaluation.

Kindest Regards,

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S.

Glenn Vallecillos, MD