Areola Revision / Reduction Post-Gynecomastia Surgery

I underwent a surgery overseas where my Dr. advised me that to get my chest contoured. well he had to perform a procedure where an incision around the circumference of my areola is done and the glands and excess skin can be removed along with liposuction. three months past the surgery date and I have extremely large areola. he mentioned that they will get smaller with time but it seems they're the same size if not worse since the operation. please advisee me on what can be done?

Areolar reduction after gynecomastia surgery

+2

I would recommend waiting one year after your surgery before having an areolar reduction procedure. This can even be done under local anesthesia in the office. I prefer to use a permanent Gore-Tex suture (deep) to prevent future widening of the areola. Be patient for now, this can be improved.

Dr.Bruno

Areolar reduction after gynaecomastia surgery

+2

I would recommend reduction of the areola which is a relatively straightforward procedure.

The photographs also show an appearance of some contour deformity, more on the left. If this bothers you and you do go for further surgery for the areola, ask your surgeon whether he can perform a liposuction at the same time to improve the contour of the chest wall.

Anindya Lahiri, MBBS
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Revision of large areolae

+2

You may need to have an areolar reduction to improve the appearance of your areolae.  Visit with a board certified plastic surgeon for your next procedure.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

Will the areola shrink after liposuction and breast reduction for gynecomastia?

+2

The areolas are large and too round.  A normal male areola is wider than it is tall.  It is unlikely to shrink more at this point.  However, judging from the redness of the scars it is too early to do anything.  There is still some skin irregularity so I would recommend continuing the garment and waiting several more months prior to doing a areola reduction.

Neal Goldberg, MD
Westchester Plastic Surgeon

The Areola will not shrink

+2

The areola will not shrink anymore.  The size wil need to be reduced.  This is a simple procedure and you should get a good result.

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

Poor results after gynecomastia surgery

+2

Your photos reveal unusual shape after treatment for gynecomastia.  There is skin irregularity, chest/breast asymmetry, and widened areolar tissue on both sides.  But you also have very little "extra" skin at this point.  You need some skin laxity (looseness) in order to have areolar revision to make your areolae smaller.  This will take time, or maybe even some tissue expansion.  See a board-certified plastic surgeon in your own country, who can follow your progress and advise you on the next available steps.

Carmen Kavali, MD

Revision of gynecomastia surgery is not uncommon.

+2

Revision of gynecomastia surgery is not uncommon. This is because quite frequently the two sides are not symmetric to begin with and may have differing amounts of fat and glandular (breast) tissue.

From your photographs there are definitely several things that can be improved.  The size of the areola can be reduced, but it looks like it may have been placed back on as a skin graft.  That complicates the staging of your procedure.  You have significant areas of flatness of the left chest wall as well which could benefit from fat grafting.

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Overly large areola following gynecomastia surgery

+2

Correcting verly large areola following gynecomastia surgery is possible, but is a very difficult problem to repair. Most likely, you will need to wait 6-12 months for everything to heal. You will certainly require areolar reduction, however your chest wall appears to be deficient of skin in the surrounding tissue. You are a unique case, and you may actually require tissue expansion of the surrounding skin, followed by reduction of the areolar tissues.

Kevin Brenner, MD, FACS

Areolar spreading after Benellli type mastopexy

+2

A Benelli type uplift, mastopexy can many times cause spready of the areola like you have experienced. This can usually be corrected by redoing this type of procedure but using an adequate "blocking" type suture to try and stabilize or prevent the spreading. Unfortunately, this type of mastopexy does not really cause an uplift or reshaping of the breast but usually a flattening of the breast. I use it primarily to reuce the size of the areola after pregancy which because of the increase of the breasts, causes the areola to spread. Make sure that you plastic surgeon is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Please visit my website for further info.

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon