Breast augmentation with wide set breasts (Photo)

I have been considering breast augmentation. I am 43, 5'9, 128 pounds. My concerns: I have some droop. Will implants exaggerate this or worsen it over time? Do I need a lift? Also, my breasts are wide set with laterally facing nipples. Will augmentation make this more pronounced? I am hoping for a natural look, probably small silicone implants (maybe 200 cc) and am hoping for a look much like what I had when I was younger and weighed 20 pounds more. Does this seem possible? Many thanks!

Breast augmentation alone without breast lift will work for your wide set breasts.

+2
Thank you for your question and photograph.  First let me say that you have very normal natural pretty breasts.  I am very happy that you are considering a small natural breast augmentation because the extremely large implants of many women choose today would detract from the lovely natural appearance that you have.

You need to find a very experienced board certified plastic surgeon who does many breast augmentations and has years of experience.  You can have a sub-muscular breast augmentation with reasonable size implants in the 200-250 cc range and should have an excellent result.

You are correct to be concerned about the lateral displacement of your nipples if implants are placed too far towards the center line of your chest.  An experienced plastic surgeon will place your implants under the chest muscle and the proper location to avoid further lateral displacement of your nipples.

Please choose your plastic surgeon carefully.

Breast Aug with wide set breasts

+2
Hello and thank you for your question.
Your breasts may be a bit deflated, but the implant should fill them out nicely. It does not appear from your pictures that you need a lift. You mentioned wide set breasts, unfortunately there is nothing that can be done about that. If you look at one of the breast augmentation patients that I believe is pictured under my profile on realself, you will see the results of someone who had breast implants with wide set breasts to begin with. If done properly, you can still have a very nice result. I recommend that you see a board certified plastic surgeon in consultation to get more specific answers to your questions which can best be addressed after a thorough history and examination is performed.
Best of luck to you!

David Cangello, MD

Breast Augmentation and Wide Breast

+2
Than you for your question and pictures. 
A breast augmentation is limited by your own anatomy i.e. the width of the breast and distance between the breast, and nipple position (laterally). When placing the implants in a dual plane, you can not release the muscle off of the sternum without risking symmastia. You can place the implants over the muscle, and give a little cleavage but that has risk as well i.e. implant show/rippling and higher risk of capsular contracture . You don't need a full lift but your breast are asymmetric, so a periarolar lift on your right might be needed for symmetry. 

Matthew Becker, MD
Knoxville Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation with wide set breasts

+1
Think of cosmetic breast augmentation with an implant, properly done, as putting a pillow behind your natural/normal breast. It fills it out but does not lift it or move it around. It the implant pillow is too big or two wide for your breast it will distort the form of it. The need for a lift is determined by the position of the nipple-areola relative to the inframammary crease at the base of the breast. Your nipples are just above this level and a lift would therefore add nothing but additional scars. The implant will give an illusion of a lift and will tend to make your breast look rounder, but the gap between your medial breast edges will stay the same and you will still have a bit of a laterally displaced nipple-areola position. In other words it will look like your breast but larger or more filled out. This is why it's important to imagine your breast larger and not try to look like someone else's breasts. The same thing is true in rhinoplasty -- your nose with certain changes, not someone else's nose. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Breast too wide

+1
From you pictures your breast are slightly wide, this is a normal variation.  In cases like yourself I use a special technique to bring them closer together so it is not an issue.  From you pictures I think you are a good candidate for the procedure and recommend you use a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Best Regards,

Dr Michael Gartner

Michael Constantin Gartner, DO
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Ideal candidate for breast augmentation.

+1
You are the exact kind of patient that I wish to see everyday for breast augmentation. In my opinion you are the ideal candidate. You have adequate skin and soft tissue. You absolutely don't need a lift. You desire a moderate increase in size and you want to look natural. Your procedure can be done with a silicon implant or if you desire a smaller scar, with a saline implant. Because you have good soft tissues you will not see much difference between a saline or silicone implant. You should expect good results and be happy. The fact that your breast sit a bit far out is not a problem. This should improve with proper implant choice as far as implant profile and proper placement. You are welcome to ask additional questions it everything is not clear.

Farhad Rafizadeh, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Breast Aug

+1
You will not need a lift and the space between your breasts will not improve with implants. Your nipple direction will also probably not change.

Lee E. Corbett, MD