Risks of Combining Breast Augmentation with Liposuction and Tummy Tuck?

I am getting Tummy tuck, Liposuction and Breast Lift with Breast Implants. I am so scared, I'm about to give up.

I can't sleep thinking of the surgery, please tell me what to expect to having those two or three procedures at the same time.

Also, my Dr is telling me that the procedures will take 4 to 6 hrs, is it right? And he keep telling me about the risk, and to do one procedures at the time. Thanks.

Combined tummy tuck, liposuction, breast lift and breast implant

+4

It is certainly a very big surgery you have planned.

The question of combined surgeries comes up frequently. Experienced surgeons have a feel for how quickly they can do a case, the health of the patient, the unique risks the patient has, and the overall scope of the operation. As Dr. Rand points out, there are special "red flag" areas in combined surgery (such as implant/mastopexy, liposuction plus full TT, etc) where an experienced plastic surgeon will exert extra caution.

There are easy breast lifts and there are difficult lifts, the same for tummy tucks, liposuction, etc.

The health of the patient also factors in. There are young healthy patients in whom the risk would be low, and heavyset sedentary older patients with medical issues where the surgery would be unthinkable.

A seasoned board certified plastic surgeon with decades of experience will guide you through the risk analysis.

As always with plastic surgery, if you have doubts, do not proceed.

It is my philosophy with combined procedures first to make conservative choices. If during surgery after the first procedure the patient is 100%, the operation proceeds to the next procedure. If the patient is 99%, the operation is over and we return another day.

Augmentation and tummy tuck can be done at same time in appropriate candidates

+2

In appropriate cantidates these two proccedures are often done at the same time. In my experience over 30 years, a patient's mental state going into an operation is an important factor. Some anxiety before any surgery is normal. If yours is such that it is disabling, then "your stars are not aligned" and you should postpone until you feel better. Remember this is elective and you don't have to do it. Hope you sleep better tonight.

Barry H. Dolich, MD
Bronx Plastic Surgeon

Risks of combining breast augmentation with liposuction and tummy tuck?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question! These procedures can be effectively and safely performed in one setting. The breasts and tummy tuck are commonly performed together, often referred to as the "mommy makeover". If you are healthy and your surgeon decides that s/he could perform the procedures in a safe time for you, these procedures certainly can be done in one stage. Staging the procedures to have them performed at various times will likely not have any cost benefit for you. When you combine procedures, there is often a discount that is provided by the surgeon for multiple procedures. Also, when having multiple procedures performed at the same time, you save on anesthesia and facility fees, which otherwise are paid for with each individual procedure. In addition, you may benefit by the single recovery time.  4-6 hrs is reasonable time for these. 

It is your decision as to whether you have your procedures performed in one or multiple stages, but your surgeon will give his/her recommendations. I would consult with a plastic surgeon well-versed in these procedures and discuss your concerns with your surgeon and see what your options are as well as have an examination. Your safety is ultimately the most important factor and is always on the mind of your surgeon when making such decisions. Hope that this helps! Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Combination Breast Augmentation, Tummy Tuck, and Lipo

+1
Different surgeons will recommend different procedures including doing more than one at a time. Some surgeons also differ in ability, time it takes to do the same procedure and general. It makes this a difficult choice for patients.  Based on my own experience I would do all at once as long as it takes 4 or less hours. For me, typical liposuction on  one or two areas on the front of your body, a tummy tuck and breast augmentation will take 3-4 hours so I recommend this be done in one surgery.

Not only that,  it is possible to place breast implants through the TT incision but I prefer this technique. Tummy Tuck and Breast Augmentation Combination makes sense and is safe. Contrary to some of the answers I have found that the recovery time is not delayed and is the same as the tummy tuck procedure by itself. That is because you are healing simultaneously and not sequentially - both heal at the same time. The procedure only takes me about a half hour to 45 minutes longer than the tummy tuck alone. Best of all, I usually put in the breast implants through the tummy tuck incision so that there are no scars on the breasts.
I have performed many of these combination procedures over the past few decades and think it is a great idea without significant increased complications

Best recommendation: seek a second opinion as see if this helps. 

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Operative risks for multiple surgeries

+1

I perform multiple procedures all the time. Yes, they can take 4-6 hours.Yes, they can increase the risk of complications. If you are unsure about it, think it over or seek a second opinion.

Multiple surgical procedures and operative risks

+1

The amount of time you discuss for this combination of procedures seems reasonable. as to your anxiety, that is  a more difficult probmen. Your risk for clots will dicrease if you separate the procedures.

Risk of Multiple Procedures

+1

The risks certainly rises somewhat with multiple procedures primarily related to increase in the anesthetic time. In most patients the risks of performing a Tummy tuck, augmentation, and lipo at the same time are reasonable.

The main variables are the speed at which the surgeon operates and the general health of the patient. All surgery involves benefits and risks which must be weighed in order to decide how to proceed. If you surgeon has suggested performing these procedures in stages, ask him/her why.

John Whitt, MD

Can you combine plastic surgery procedures?

+1

You can combine the procedures that you mentioned, but the surgery will be lengthy. Any more than this would probably be too long in the operating room. Also, I would recommend and overnight stay in the hospital at which you're having the surgery. Otherwise, talk to your surgeon about your concerns and suggest another meeting to make you feel at ease with your decisions.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck, Liposuction, Breast Augmentation, and Breast Lift - That's a Lot!

+1

That's a lot of surgery! I think that it can be done safely, but your surgeon must be a speed demon. I would take 9 hours for that series of procedures:

• Tummy Tuck: 3-4 hours
  • Limited Liposuction: 1 hour
  • Breast augmentation: 1 1/2 hours
  • Breast Lift: 3 hours

Will a 2nd surgeon be helping? Will a physician's assistant be suturing up some of the incisions?

Regardless, you might want to consider having the surgery in a hospital, rather than an outpatient center. The cost may be more, but for long surgeries, the additional safety may be worthwhile. And, spending a night in the hospital might be prudent.

Michael C. Pickart, MD
Ventura Plastic Surgeon