Risks of Combining Breast Augmentation with Liposuction and Tummy Tuck?

I am getting Tummy tuck, Liposuction and Breast Lift with Breast Implants. I am so scared, I'm about to give up.

I can't sleep thinking of the surgery, please tell me what to expect to having those two or three procedures at the same time.

Also, my Dr is telling me that the procedures will take 4 to 6 hrs, is it right? And he keep telling me about the risk, and to do one procedures at the time. Thanks.

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

Combined surgery has risks

+1

Yes, you can combine these three procedures and I do combine them frequently. There is an increased risk of complications due to the longer anesthesia time, but then again there is only one anesthesia/surgery event in stead of two. One thing I do caution all of my patients about when undergoing the combination of Tummy Tuck and Breast Augmentation with the implants under the muscle, is that it is a very debilitating combination. This is because it hurts to use you abs as well as your arms. I always suggest you have a lot of help around for the first few days. Otherwise, your implants may have a tendency to move up.

Combined tummy tuck, liposuction, breast lift and breast implant

+4

It is certainly a very big surgery you have planned.

The question of combined surgeries comes up frequently. Experienced surgeons have a feel for how quickly they can do a case, the health of the patient, the unique risks the patient has, and the overall scope of the operation. As Dr. Rand points out, there are special "red flag" areas in combined surgery (such as implant/mastopexy, liposuction plus full TT, etc) where an experienced plastic surgeon will exert extra caution.

There are easy breast lifts and there are difficult lifts, the same for tummy tucks, liposuction, etc.

The health of the patient also factors in. There are young healthy patients in whom the risk would be low, and heavyset sedentary older patients with medical issues where the surgery would be unthinkable.

A seasoned board certified plastic surgeon with decades of experience will guide you through the risk analysis.

As always with plastic surgery, if you have doubts, do not proceed.

It is my philosophy with combined procedures first to make conservative choices. If during surgery after the first procedure the patient is 100%, the operation proceeds to the next procedure. If the patient is 99%, the operation is over and we return another day.

Augmentation and tummy tuck can be done at same time in appropriate candidates

+2

In appropriate cantidates these two proccedures are often done at the same time. In my experience over 30 years, a patient's mental state going into an operation is an important factor. Some anxiety before any surgery is normal. If yours is such that it is disabling, then "your stars are not aligned" and you should postpone until you feel better. Remember this is elective and you don't have to do it. Hope you sleep better tonight.

Bronx Plastic Surgeon

Combination Breast Augmentation, Tummy Tuck, and Lipo

+1
Different surgeons will recommend different procedures including doing more than one at a time. Some surgeons also differ in ability, time it takes to do the same procedure and general. It makes this a difficult choice for patients.  Based on my own experience I would do all at once as long as it takes 4 or less hours. For me, typical liposuction on  one or two areas on the front of your body, a tummy tuck and breast augmentation will take 3-4 hours so I recommend this be done in one surgery.

Not only that,  it is possible to place breast implants through the TT incision but I prefer this technique. Tummy Tuck and Breast Augmentation Combination makes sense and is safe. Contrary to some of the answers I have found that the recovery time is not delayed and is the same as the tummy tuck procedure by itself. That is because you are healing simultaneously and not sequentially - both heal at the same time. The procedure only takes me about a half hour to 45 minutes longer than the tummy tuck alone. Best of all, I usually put in the breast implants through the tummy tuck incision so that there are no scars on the breasts.
I have performed many of these combination procedures over the past few decades and think it is a great idea without significant increased complications

Best recommendation: seek a second opinion as see if this helps. 

Web reference: https://pacificcenterplasticsurgery.com/procedures/body/mommy-makeover/

Operative risks for multiple surgeries

+1

I perform multiple procedures all the time. Yes, they can take 4-6 hours.Yes, they can increase the risk of complications. If you are unsure about it, think it over or seek a second opinion.

Multiple surgical procedures and operative risks

+1

The amount of time you discuss for this combination of procedures seems reasonable. as to your anxiety, that is  a more difficult probmen. Your risk for clots will dicrease if you separate the procedures.

Risk of Multiple Procedures

+1

The risks certainly rises somewhat with multiple procedures primarily related to increase in the anesthetic time. In most patients the risks of performing a Tummy tuck, augmentation, and lipo at the same time are reasonable.

The main variables are the speed at which the surgeon operates and the general health of the patient. All surgery involves benefits and risks which must be weighed in order to decide how to proceed. If you surgeon has suggested performing these procedures in stages, ask him/her why.

Can you combine plastic surgery procedures?

+1

You can combine the procedures that you mentioned, but the surgery will be lengthy. Any more than this would probably be too long in the operating room. Also, I would recommend and overnight stay in the hospital at which you're having the surgery. Otherwise, talk to your surgeon about your concerns and suggest another meeting to make you feel at ease with your decisions.

Web reference: http://www.DrSchreiberPlasticSurgery.com

Tummy Tuck, Liposuction, Breast Augmentation, and Breast Lift - That's a Lot!

+1

That's a lot of surgery! I think that it can be done safely, but your surgeon must be a speed demon. I would take 9 hours for that series of procedures:

• Tummy Tuck: 3-4 hours
  • Limited Liposuction: 1 hour
  • Breast augmentation: 1 1/2 hours
  • Breast Lift: 3 hours

Will a 2nd surgeon be helping? Will a physician's assistant be suturing up some of the incisions?

Regardless, you might want to consider having the surgery in a hospital, rather than an outpatient center. The cost may be more, but for long surgeries, the additional safety may be worthwhile. And, spending a night in the hospital might be prudent.

Ventura Plastic Surgeon

Combining procedures

+1

Like Dr. Rand, I have done this combined operation many times. As long as the liposuction is not extensive this combination can safely be done. It is the "Mommy Makeover" surgery you sometimes hear about. Usually the recovery is similar to having only had the tummy tuck alone. Most patients do not even feel the breast surgery portion because the tummy tuck recovery is usually the worst of the two areas. That being said, your doctor obviously knows more about your situation then we do. If he is suggesting that the surgery be done as separate operations then by all means I would listen to his advice.

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon