Breast Augmentation CC for my Size. Is There a Big Difference Between 350 and 400cc?

I am undergoing Breast Augmentation in a couple of months and am really having trouble deciding whether to go 350 cc 375cc or 400cc... Right now I am a 32A and I am 5'5 and 110 pounds. I really don't want to be too small but I dont want to be big to where it could make me look "trashy". Is there really that big of a difference between 350cc and 400cc?

How to pick the right breast implant size

+5

The most difficult decision in breast implant surgery is choosing the right size for you.  The correct size will depend on your existing breast tissue, your chest wall anatomy, your desires and the plastic surgeon's artistic skill.  There is really very little difference between the 3 implant sizes you are considering, and you will probably look just fine with any of the three, but let's get very technical and break down why I am saying this.  I do not know what company or style of implant you are considering, but as an example let's look at Mentor, smooth, round, moderate plus silicone implants::

Volume                                     Diameter                                     Projection

350 cc                                       12.5 cm                                      3.9 cm

375 cc                                       12.8 cm                                      4.0 cm

400 cc                                       13.1 cm                                      4.0 cm

The diameter is the distance at the base of the implant.  The projection is the height or how much the implant protrudes.  As you can see there is only 1 mm difference between the 2 smaller sizes and NO difference in the 375 and 400 cc implant.  The difference in base diameter is 3 mm for each implant, but remember that is a diameter, so the actual increase in how far the implant extends into the mid line (cleavage area) is only 1.5 mm.  Go look at a ruler to see how much 1.5 mm is, make sure you put your reading glasses on first!!

So, really, these 3 implants are basically the same.  To make a difference in cup size, the general rule of thumb is 200 cc for each cup size.  50 cc falls way short of this and would not change your cup size.  The number one complaint after breast implant surgery is that the women wished they had chosen a bigger size to begin with.  Do not be one of those people.  You can see an extra 50 cc sounds like a lot, but it really is not!

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

+3

If you're having trouble deciding between 2 implants choose the larger size!

I have patients try on implant sizers in front of the mirror and see what looks best to them. Occasionally patients choose a size that is too large for the breast to accommodate. Then we will look at smaller sizes to get the patient as close as possible to where she wants to go.

There is no perfect way to choose size. If there were we would all do it that way. It is interesting that we get it right as often as we do.

Don't lose sleep over 25 to 50cc (one to two ounces). In my experience patients are happy for every cc they gained with their augmentation.

Good luck!

Eric Pugash, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant size

+2

The smallest volume difference you can detect is 30 cc, so 50 cc is not a "big" difference. If you are over filling a saline implant you are modifying the projection and essentially moving from a moderate to a higher profile device. If you are using gels and staying within the profile, you are increasing the diameter and maintaining the projection.

Communicating with your surgeon and defining your goals are more important than defining the specific implant volume. Your desired look can be achieved and evaluated with implant sizers in the operating room. You should not worry about the 50 cc difference if you have clearly defined your goals with your surgeon.

I hope this was helpful and good luck.

Robert W. Kessler, MD, FACS
Corona Del Mar Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation cc size for my size. Is there a big difference between 350cc and 400cc?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question. In general, implant size does not correlate with bra cup size. The cup size itself will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer as well as who is doing the actual measurements. Thus, cup size is never a reliable indicator for your breast size. I typically encourage my patients not to communicate her desires in cup size but more on the actual look and appearance.  There likely will. It be an appreciable difference between the sizes, but more importantly, the width and dimension of the implant will change, in which case, the appearance of your breasts. 

Good communication between you and your surgeon of your expectations is warranted - choosing your surgeon wisely is the first step. Discussion of your wishes and having an honest and open dialog of your procedure is mandatory (e.g, implant type, incision, placement, lift, etc). I have found that photographs brought by the patient is helpful to get a visualization of the appearance you wish for in terms of size, shape, fullness, etc. In addition, your surgeon's pre and postoperative photographs should demonstrate a realistic goal for you. Once this has been accomplished, allow your surgeon to utilize his/her best medical judgment during the procedure to finesse the best possible result for you after preoperative biodimensional planning and fitting the right implant for your breast width.

Hope me that this helps! Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Implant Selection Process

+1

In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements and characteristics.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.
Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Implant Sizing

+1

I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1.Dimensional planning
2.Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. However, there are some limitations of what size we can recommend. For instance, some implants may just be too big for a narrow chest wall. Your surgeon can review this with you during the consultation.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for. This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look.  If you have decided on saline implants, then based on the gel sizer you select, we can guide you to the saline implant that achieves a similar look.
Hope this helps.
Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Difference between 350cc and 400cc

+1

Although the differences among 350cc, 375cc, and 400cc are not that "big", it also depends on each patient's body.  For patients who are tall and wide, 50cc will not make much difference.  For patients (such as yourself) who are slim, 50cc will make a more of a difference.  You should try on implant sizes prior to your surgery; you should also ask your plastic surgeon whether you will be happier with 350cc, 375cc, vs. 400cc.  Please let your plastic surgeon know your desired look/goal; you can review other pre and post-op photos of patients who have similar body/anatomy to yours and see what size implants had been used.  Good luck to you.

Sugene Kim, MD

Breast Implant Sizes

+1
There really is not a huge difference between a 350cc implant and a 400cc implant. For most patients, one full cup size is around 150cc, thus 50cc's is around a third of a cup size. It is important to remember that although there is such a thing as not big enough, there is also such a thing as too big. The latter issue is more challenging to correct. Apart from looking at photos, we also have pre-op patients try on differenct sizes to get an idea of how they might look after surgery with certain sizes of implants. Unfortunately, there is no perfect system.

Kelly Gallego, MD, FACS
Yuba City Plastic Surgeon

How to choose appropriate implant size

+1

Choosing the appropriate implant is one of the more important factors in breast augmentation.  The implant has to be the appropriate size and the appropriate style (have appropriate dimensions).  The other important factor is creating correct implant pocket.  A surgeon should  not have one “cookie cutter” approach for choosing any one of the above.

In your particular case placing an implant in the bra might  not be the best approach to determine what implant size you should use.  You need to communicate to your surgeon what you want to look like after surgery.  This could include choosing some photos of prior patients, wearing padded bra to demonstrate the look you want, etc.  An experienced and talented surgeon will try different size implants (so called “sizers”) during your surgery to determine what actual implant size will create the look that you want

Boris M. Ackerman, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Choosing your implant size.

+1

This is one of the most difficult decisions to make when deciding on augmentation surgery. There is little difference in volume between 350 and 400 cc. Depending on the implant, however, there can be a difference in shape. For example, it you have a narrow chest, a wider implant will extend further to the side and you may be able to feel it with your arm--which some women like and some don't. I find that for my patients the best way to choose volume is to use sizers and try them on with their bra and their clothes. And then we discuss which shape would be most likely to achieve their goals. I disagree with my colleagues who say the choice should be up to the surgeon. I believe it is a decision that must be made together. Your surgeon's obligation is to explain the otions to you and based on his or her experience, the likely outcome of the surgery. Your job is to explain to your surgeon what your goals are--and please be honest. Your surgeon cannot help you achieve them without knowing what they are. And then together you need to agree on what is best for you. So it is important for you to find a board certified surgeon with whom you feel comfortable and who will work with you. Good luck to you.

Margaret Skiles, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon