Silicone Sheets for Breast Augmentation Scars?

I am 24 days post breast augmentation with mastopexy for the left breast. Can I now begin to use silicone scar sheets (like neosporin) for my scars?

Silicone scar sheets for breast implant augmenation lift surgery (mastopexy)

+3

Yes, 3 weeks is typically I advise my patients to consider using silicone sheets, Howvever, I have been disappointed with the results and generally prefer the practiclality of tan paper tape.

Silicone Pads For Scarring!

+3

Using silicone gel sheeting is an excellent choice. I even sell it at my office. It has been clinically proven to help in the healing of the scars old and new. The most important thing to remember is to not use them on open wounds. The sheets inhibit scar formation and are most helpful for about three month after surgery.  If you have Keloid scaring they can be used to help flatten them.

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

Silicone sheets on scars

+3

Silicone sheets are perfectly fine to use on the scars after 3 - 4 weeks. I personally keep steri-strips or paper tape on them for at least 3-6 weeks and I think that this does the trick and it certainly is cost effective for the patient.

Silicone sheets for breast augmentation and or mastopexy.

+2

We select our patients for the use of silicone sheeting based upon the appearance of the scars after surgery. Not everyone needs to purchase and use these sheets. Fortunately, most cosmetic breast surgery patients return after surgery with soft and thin scars.  The patient I feel would benefit from the silicone sheets have healed, red, thickening scars at their post-operative visit(s).

Douglas J. Raskin, MD, DMD
Colorado Springs Plastic Surgeon

There is no evidence that silicone sheets have any effect on the result of a scar.

+2

Silicone sheeting probably has no effect on scar formation.  If it protects the scar from irritation by clothing, then indirectly it would help.  It certainly does no harm so if your surgeon wants you to apply the stuff, go ahead.  But the science does not support its use.

Silcone sheets work well for breast scars

+2

I review with my patients the options for scar treatment, but ask them not to start until 1-2 weeks after we have removed the steri-strips at the 2-week visit. You can use the less effective over-the counter treatments such as mederma or scarguard, but I prefer either Dermatix (which is a silicone-based topical treatment) or the silicone gel sheets. They are non-medicated and provide a gentle pressure and warm moist microenvironment for your scar to heal to its optimum.

Dr. Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS

Silicone sheeting can be used 3 weeks after breast augmentation

+2

I don't routinely recommend silicone sheeting for scars following breast augmentation unless the patient has a tendency to form raised, red, hypertrophic scars.

I typically allow patients to begin treating scars with silicone sheets 3 weeks post-op.

James C. Grotting, MD, FACS
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Neosporin silicone scar sheets?

+2

DD,

I don't know of the product you cite. Silicone gels are available in liquid and sheet form and are effective in reducing hypertrophic or keloid scars. I don't recommend the products unless my patients have a tendency for these scarring conditions. Check with your surgeon to see what his/her preferences or protocols are. Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

Silicone sheets have proven effectiveness on scars

+2

DD5129,

Silicone sheeting is effective on new scars and there is a body of literature to support it. The sheets can be applied directly after the incision had fully healed. The sheet must be very clean and the skin dry as the sheet is applied. We use paper tape on the sheet strips which can be cut to fit. The silicone sheet can be washed regularly with soap and water and be reused, and to be effective they should be worn continuously until you are satisfied that the scar is flat and smooth. The reason silicone sheeting works is a bit of a mystery, though it does work.

A similar product you can look for is Curad Scar Therapy which is a polyurethane film or sheet which is available at the drugstore, and works the same way.

As with any scar fade products don't use if the wound is open or incompletely healed, stop if you get a rash or irritation.

peterejohnsonmd

Do not use neosporin or other antibiotic ointment.

+2

Hello again,

Antibiotic ointments will not help your scars and you will become allergic to them.

There are a number of sheets and gels which do help. Whatever you use must be in contact with the scars at least 12 hours a day. So what's easiest to apply and keep on, you are more likely to actually use every day. For this reason we use a gel ( Scar Fade ) which is applied twice a day.

Sheets are hard to keep on, to keep clean, etc. So patient compliance with sheets is not good.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)