Could Frequent Sitting Affect Brazilian Butt Lift Results?

My job consists of sitting down for 7 hrs, 5 days a week.  If I were to get a Brazilian Butt Lift would sitting on my rear end cause my butt to flatten or become oddly shaped?

Brazilian butt lift and sitting

The Brazilian butt lift is a liposuction fat injection. When the fat is injected it has no blood supply. And it is very weak and the fat cells can be killed by pressure. Blood vessels they will begin to grow in to the fat cells in for 5 days. When the fat has normal blood supply the fat cells act like any other fat cells in the body and will survive sitting exercise and pressure.

The 1st 10. this time that i asked my patients not only setting or sleeping on the back. day 9 and 11 are no different that windows is an arbitrary time just greater than 5 days.  On  the 11th day the patients can start to sit for short periods of time.

In my patients after 2 or 3 weeks the size supposed to be maintained and I don't see loss of fat cells from exercises sitting. The same timeframe applies for fat displacement. Again once the fat is healed in will act like any other fat in the body.

Sitting on BBL fat

Once you are healed, your job will not be a problem.  Another question is whether sitting matters while you are healing.  We thought for some time that the fat would not take if you sat or layed on it.  But after 5 years of the South American experience (which I can agree to from my own patients), sitting or laying on the buttocks after a combined tummy-tuck and BBL does not seem to affect the result of the BBL. should not have to worry about sitting on it.

Frederick G. Weniger, MD, FACS
Hilton Head Island Plastic Surgeon

Recovery from your Brazilian Buttocks Lift

The goal is to allow all of the fat cells that are placed in your buttocks a chance to get reconnected to the nearby blood vessels. This is what needs to happen for them to survive. Therefore, the more time you sit on your buttocks or put pressure on your buttocks, the more you are reducing the blood flowing through your buttocks tissues that we are relying on to try to grow new blood vessels to the transplanted fat cells. Therefore, more of the fat cells will likely die.

The second issue is that the pressure may change the shape of your buttocks by moving the fat cells or by killing the fat cells in certain areas.

Best thing to do is don't sit until your doctor tells you it is okay.

Brazilian Butt Lifts and sitting

Pressure on the buttocks immediately after Brazilian Butt lifts can cause a decrease in the fat survival. The key is allowing enough time for the fat to revascularize, which will insure survival. Once the fat has revascularized, there is less concern about pressure on the buttocks (sitting a lot).

It is recommended that patients do not sit for more than 1 hour at a time for the first one month if they can avoid it.

Find a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options.

Could frequent sitting affect the results of a Brazilian Butt Lift?

Excessive pressure on the newly transferred fat in a Brazilian Butt Lift could cause damage and affect the final result.  Excess pressure can impair the blood supply to the healing fat and cause that fat to not survive the transfer.  For that reason it is very important to closely follow the postoperative instructions given to you by your surgeon.  The surgeon has their own postoperative protocol.  Most surgeons would agree however that immediately after a Brazilian Butt Lift patients are allowed to lay on their back until they are fully recovered. Normally they are then turned over on their stomach. During the trip home after the procedure or when in route to a postoperative visit patients are recommended to either lay on their stomach or on their side After the patient goes home they are instructed to keep pressure off of the buttock area for at least 8 weeks. No sitting is permitted for 10 days postoperatively. The exception to this is to utilize the toilet. After 10 days the patient is allowed to sit in a modified position that will keep excess pressure from the buttock area. His can be accomplished with the use of a pillow placed beneath the hamstring muscles not touching the buttock. Patient's are recommended to wear the prescribed compression garment for up to 4-6 weeks postoperatively. It is important to realize that the final result probably not be realized until up to 6 months.

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Sitting after Brazilian Butt Lift

I would counsel you to talk in detail with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon about this before having the procedure. Your restrictions are a precaution against developing pressure problems in the areas where you have been enhanced. It's best to anticipate 2-3 weeks of minimal sitting after surgery to optimize results. My Cleveland Brazilian Butt Lift patients wear a compression garment, have regular massage after the procedure to aid in healing, and they walk as often as possible to reduce the risk of postop complications.

If your job requires you to sit for many hours, you should take enough time off to satisfy your surgeon that you won't have skin problems or contour complications that wouldn't otherwise occur. Once healing has occurred, you can resume your job without fear that your bottom will change shape because you sit all day at work.

To your health and beauty,

Dr. Paul Vanek, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in Mentor, OH

Paul Vanek, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Sitting after Brazilian Buttlift

I recommend for the first six weeks after the Brazilian buttlift that patients sleep on their stomachs.  In addition, I tell them to minimize sitting.  If they have to sit, it is critical that every 30 minutes or an hour that patients get up and stand for a few seconds to take the pressure off.   This reduces the chance for fat necrosis.  After 6 weeks the fat has revascularized and you have a very good idea of your final results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Brazilian buttlift Los Angeles, CA

Sitting down after a brazilian butt lift

A brazilian butt lift safely and effectively transfers unwanted fat from areas such as the abdomen, waist, flanks and thighs, to a very desirable area such as the buttocks, for a more voluptuous appearance.  I instruct my patients not to sit on the buttocks at least 3 weeks after the procedure, in order to preserve the viability of the fat; after 3 weeks, the new blood supply to the fat graft is fairly well established, so sitting down should be ok after about 3 weeks post-operatively.

Sitting after Brazilian Butt Lift

Yes, it could affect the shape and roundness of the new buttocks. During the first 2 weeks, you are advised to avoid putting direct pressure on your buttock for more than a few minutes at a time. If you have to sit, use a very soft cushion. From week three until six you should also sit on cushions when sitting for prolonged periods.

Brazilian buttock lift side effects and recovery

Fat grafting is a very technical procedure. This involves an atraumatic harvesting, filtration and injection of the fat. Post operative management is a very important factor and include frequent change in positioning. It is very difficult to avoid sitting or sleeping on the buttocks for 3 weeks but at least I would like to get my patient to change positioning to avoid compression of the fat graft.

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS