Can I Get Braces on After Dental Implants? (photo)

In middle school I had braces to fix spacing and an overbite. When I got them off (about 10 years ago) I got two dental implants (the teeth next to my front teeth). I had a retainer for the bottom (which I stopped wearing after about a year) but nothing for the top because I was told the implants would act as one. Needless to say my bottom teeth are even more spaced out now than they were pre-braces, my overbite is back, and now a few spaces are forming on the top as well!

Can I get braces after implants?

+1

The short answer is yes, you just can not orthodontically move implants if you put a force on them they will fail. so braces can go on them you just can't move them like teeth hope that helps good luck

Kevin Coughlin DMD, MBA, MAGD     CEO Baystate Dental PC

Springfield Cosmetic Dentist

+1

Yes, you can have braces, in fact I would recommend it. But, right now make sure to visit an experienced cosmetic dentist. Do it now at the planning stage. Your cosmetic dentist needs to work closely with the orthodontist so that the new alignment works just right. 

Unfortunately, I see too many patients who show up in my office after the braces and just want one cosmetic treatment. It usually isn't as simple as that, and oftentimes, changes should have been made in the spacing with the braces ON.

Good teamwork can create great looking and long lasting results for you!

Scott Greenhalgh, DDS
Denver Cosmetic Dentist

Implants won't move

+1

While the implants won't move, they can act as very good anchors during orthodontic movement this time around.  You will still benefit from orthodontics again, any flavor (Invisalign, 6 month braces, traditional, etc) but the implants are where they are.

Lance Timmerman, DMD
Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

Orthodontics after implants

+1

Braces will move your teeth but not the implants. From the pictures, you would benefit from orthodontics, Invisalign, or Six Month Smiles. You might also consider replacing the crowns over the implants after the spaces are closed. Best of luck to you and wear your retainer this time.

Mickey Bernstein, DDS
Memphis Cosmetic Dentist

Braces and Implants

+1

You can definitely get braces after having implants placed (with crowns) - just be aware that the implants will not move at all.  Your teeth around the implant will move, but the implant and the crown on top of it will not move.  After this round of braced be sure to wear your retainer every night (and get a fixed lingual bar as well) - you do not want to ever go through this again!

Frank Orlando, DDS
New York Cosmetic Dentist