Has Botox Ever Not Worked for Frown Lines, and if Not Why?

Has botox ever not worked for frown lines

Frown lines form from the action of the muscles underneath your skin. If the lines are most noticable when you are animating ( contracting the muscles), then you are the ideal candidate for either Botox or Dysport. If you have them without animation then botulium toxin will soften the apperance but may not get rid of the frown line. Does that make sense?

1801 Inwood Road
Dallas, TX 75390

Botox for Frown Lines

Hello and thank you for the question.

There are a lot of factors that may contribute to ineffective treatment with Botox Cosmetic in the frown lines, the most common being under treatment. Injection technique may also play a role. I would give it no less that 14 days from the day of treatment to realize your treatment's full effects. If the results are unsatisfactory at that point, consider following with your injector for a re-evaluation.

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S. 

Glenn Vallecillos, MD

436 N. Bedford Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90210

Botox works on frown lines

Botox works really well for frown lines, or lines of facial expression.  If someone is saying that the Botox is not working for frown lines then either the Botox has been diluted or too little has been placed.  Alternatively, the wrong placement may be responsible for these results.  It is really important to go to an experienced injector who knows what they are doing.  Botox injections is both an art and a science.

Michele S. Green, MD

156 East 79th Street
New York, NY 10075

Does Botox always work?

Nothing always works for every patient.  That said, you may want to have the treatment repeated a few times to be certain that Botox will not work for you.  Dysport is a very acceptable alternative if you are not getting the response you wish to Botox.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

6025 4th Street North
St. Petersburg, FL 33703

BOTOX is a muscle relaxer

BOTOX is a muscle relaxer. It doesn’t work on lines. It reduces frown lines because they are caused by muscles. If the BOTOX relaxes the muscle and the lines are deep, the lines will still be there, but they will appear less deep. That doesn’t mean that the BOTOX isn’t working, it just means there’s still a line in the skin. Filler will often be needed in addition to BOTOX to make the line go away. A patient might be resistant to BOTOX because they have an antibody build up to the proteins in it, but this is very rare. If BOTOX doesn’t work at all, it could just mean that more needs to be injected because the patient has very strong muscles.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

157 W 19th St
New York, NY 10011

Botox not working

I have seen Botox "not work" when it was over diluted or improperly injected in patients who had injections at a medispa where Botox was "on sale".  Botox needs to be put in the right place at the right dose.  This is not a procedure I delegate.  Also, I have seen  2 Botox resistant patients who have most likely developed antibodies to the Botox molecule.  They both responded beautifully to Dysport which has a slightly different molecular structure. 

Lisa Lynn Sowder, M.D.

Lisa Lynn Sowder, MD

1101 Madison Street
Seattle, WA 98104-3508

Botox not working??

Provided the dose of Botox has been correctly stored at the right temperature, and reconstituted with the correct formula, I can't recall a case where Botox failed to make the muscle activity lessen, when injected in the correct area in the correct dose.  When done right, it's pretty reliable.

Thomas Fiala, MD

220 East Central Parkway
Altamonte Springs, FL 32701

Botox for frown lines

I have never seen a case in which Botox didn't inhibit the muscular motion in the treated area, but I have seen times where the creases in the skin remained the same. Mimetic lines, or wrinkles related to repetitive motion, usually improve with Botox inhibition of muscle movement, but as the lines were created by years of activity, it may take many months to a year of inactivity for the skin creases to improve. This especially occurs when the lines are deep folds.  During the time that we are waiting for the skin folds to flatten during successive Botox sessions, a filler can be injected to help lift the crease. The Botox's affect on minimizing muscular action, may increase the longevity of the filler in the area. Usually the filler is Juvederm Ultra (not Ultraplus) or Restylane.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

317 East 34th St
New York, NY 10016

Why would Botox not work for frown lines?

There are several reason why Botox would not work for frown lines

1. The amount of Botox needed varies depending on the strength and size of the corrugator muscles that bring the eyebrows together to form the frown lines.  In patients with particularly strong corrugators more units may be necessary to relax them.

2. Botox treats dynamic wrinkles, meaning those that form when you make a facial expression and go away when your face is relaxed.  Botox acts by interfering with the signal the nerve sends the muscle to contract.  If the wrinkles are present at rest, Botox will not smooth them.  In that case, a filler is needed to lift the wrinkle, then Botox to relax the muscles that formed the wrinkle in the first place.  The combination of Botox and filler makes for a longer lasting result.  Caution is needed to inject filler in the glabellar area, so make sure your injecting physician is experienced with injecting this area.

3. The least likely possibility is that a patient may have neutralizing antibodies to Botox that would prevent Botox from binding to its site of action. That is extremely rare and happens primarily in patients where large amounts of Botox were used previously.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

1 Diamond Hill Road
Berkeley Heights, NJ 07922

Botox and frown lines

Botox is a great treatment for dynamic lines of the face such as ther frown lines. If they persist a bit because of etching, sometimes I also place a little amount of filler.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028