Safe to Get Botox Around the Eyes 8 Weeks After Vitrectomy?

I am 8 weeks out from vitrectomy for detached retina. I would like to get botox injections around my eyes for "crows feet." Would it be safe to do so at this time?

Botox after a procedure

+2

I cannot think of a reason that Botox would be a problem 8 weeks after vitrectomy.  When injected properly its effect is confined to the muscles outside the eye which are not involved in eye function.  A quick phone call to your ophthalmologists office may be worth making but I suspect he/she would have no concerns.

Seattle Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox and the retina

+1

There is no reason why you cannot have Botox injections eight weeks after retinal surgery. When properly used, Botox only affects the muscles around the eye and does not interfere with the function of the eye.

Adam J. Cohen, MD
Skokie Oculoplastic Surgeon

Vitrectomy and fillers

+1

As long as it is okay with your eye doctor, it should be perfectly fine to inject Botox into your crow's feet area.

Botox after vitrectomy

+1
Of course, you should double-check with your ophthalmic surgeon...but I don't see any reason why, at this stage, you couldn't have some cosmetic Botox treatments.

Thomas Fiala, MD

Botox injections after retinal surgery

+1

As long as your ophthalmic surgeon approves of the botox injections for the crow's feet, I can't think of a reason that it would be contraindicated. Your ophthalmic surgeon is probably familiar with the uses of Botox for cosmetic reasons and might want to discuss the plan with your injector prior to approving the treatment.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Botox after vitrectomy

+1

Check in with your retina surgeon for an official "OK" but it should be fine - the effects of botox are local.

Keshini Parbhu, MD
Orlando Oculoplastic Surgeon

Botox is Safe after a Vitrectomy

+1

When Botox is properly injected, it should not effect the eye at all. There really should be no reason that you can not safely receive Boto injections after a Vitrectomy. However, it is best to first check with your retinal surgeon.

David Schlessinger, MD
Long Island Oculoplastic Surgeon

Getting Botox 2 months after a vitrectomy

+1

Botox acts locally with only a small amount of diffusion (spread). Therefore, there should be no problem receiving the Botox 8 weeks after your vitrectomy.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD