Botox Wearing off Quickly?

I had botox a little over a month ago - and it is wearing off! Can I go back to my doctor for a touch-up?

Should last 3-4 months

+1
You should see your injector to discuss your results, as not enough may have been administered. Usually, results should last about 3-4 months, which means you may not have gotten enough this time.

Botulinum Toxin (Dysport or Botox) touch up at one month

+1

After a month, I would not call it a touch-up. This is fairly long after the initial injection and will alter the timing of the next session. Discuss your Botulinum Toxin (Dysport or Botox) dosage with your treating physician

Some patients require more product than others

+1

If BOTOX is wearing off quickly, it could be a result of the batch not being as strong or not enough of a dose was given. Some patients require more product than others.  Be sure you are being treated by an experienced BOTOX injector.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Botox lasts 3 or more months

+1

Botox injected in the correct concentration, amount (in units) and place should last, on average, 3 or more months., Certainly, if the clinical effects are wearing off after only 30 days, under-dosing is the most probable cause and returning to ones injection physician for a higher unit volume will usually be successful. It is important to note the two volumes required to get a pleasing result so that the next injection will include the addtitional amount as well. Only very, very rarely patients can form antibodies to botox and, in those circumstance, you can try another approved product (dysport).

Always seek a live consultation with an expert before acting online advice.

R. Stephen Mulholland, MD

Touch ups with Botox are perfectly acceptable

+1

Touch ups with Botox are perfectly acceptable. Sometimes the best Botox outcomes are obtained by "tweaking" the result to get even more imrovement. Also each Botox treatment may give a slightly different result.The key is to see a doctor highly trained in using this material such as a dermatologist or plastic surgeon.

See the link below.

William P. Coleman III, MD
Metairie Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox wore off quickly

+1

It is perfectly fine to go back for a touch up.  However, my question is why did the Botox last only one month? Usually this is due to inadequate amount or injection technique or both.

Usually Botox should last 3-4 months.

Michael A. Jazayeri, MD
Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

5 Ways to "Lengthen" Botox Results

+1

Yes, Botox generally work four to five months.  But, there are five ways to "lengthen" the results of botox:

1.  Adequate Volume and Concentration in the Right Place.  Understanding of this requires that you see an experienced injector.

2.  Adding a Filler:  Often adding a filler after botox has been given will prolong the results of botox.

3.  Dermal Thickening:  A thicker dermis, using Sculptra or PRP, often will make Botox work better and longer.

4.  Touch-Up Within 2 Weeks:  This helps the doctor to recognize your individual anatomy.

5.  Realize Individual Variation.  Yes, individual results do vary to some extent.

George Sun, MD

Botox typically lasts about four months

+1
If your result is only one month of effect after Botox that is highly unusual but I have a few patients who metabolize the botox that quickly despite more than an adequate dose

Ronald Shelton, MD

Botox wearing off quick

+1

In addition to comments made by others, you should be aware that Botox is metabolized over time and some people may do this faster. Also, the muscles injected maybe stronger in some people (typical for elderly men) so the "standard" dose (20 units/area) may not be sufficient for everyone. All this should be discussed with patients ahead of time.

Andrew Pichler, MD
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox and wearing off

+1

It is unlikley that after a month the Botox would be wearing off.  It should last several months.  Sometimes patients complain after crow's feet injections because of persisten creases when they smile but often these are the cheek elevators that are scrunching the skin.