Will Botox Migrate?

I had botox for my frown line, crow feet and a small amount under lower eyelids midline at 9:00am. At 7:30pm (10 and 1/2 hours after treatment) not thinking about the botox treatment this morning II washed my face using the ultrsonic face brush- using preset timing- probably using too much pressure on these areas - is it very possible or probable to get any migration?

Not an issue...your botox won't migrate...

+1

that just doesn't happen beyond a very short interval following your injections...

Botox is not thought to migrate more than several hours after treatment

+1

The consensus is that Botox binds to its target structures within a few hours after injection. Although no studies have been performed, most physicians seem not to restrict their patients from bending over , or lying flat, for four hours after treatment. It would be surprising then, that any manipulation to which you subjected your face that long after Botox would interfere with its result or cause migration. When we recommend no aggressive facials for a day after Botox, the timing is not based on scientific studies but a reasonable suggestion as most patients can easily avoid a facial for one day.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Botox migration

+1

Simply stated: You will be fine. Botox can have minor migration during the first 4-8 hours after injection, but this is minor effects and not on the full level of direct injection.

Be healthy and be well,

James M. Ridgway, MD

James M. Ridgway, MD, FACS

Botox Migration

+1

It is felt that Botox could possibly migrate or be moved within 4 hours of the treatment.

However, since you did the cleaning 10 hours later it should not be a problem.

I ask my patients to stay upright and not rub the area for 4 hours. Just to be on the safe side I ask them not to exercise or have facial manipulation (such as a facial or massage) for the remainder of the day.

Esta Kronberg, MD
Houston Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox migration

+1

You will not have any problems with Botox migrating 10 hours after injection.  I advise patients to avoid touching their skin for just 4 hours after treatment.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Botox migration

+1

Personally I feel your actions will have minimal impact on your outcome.  Botox is placed deep inside the belly of the muscle precluding disturbance by superficial cleansing brushes.  This really is a great question and legitimate concern worthy of awareness that it creates.

Will Richardson, MD
Fort Lauderdale Dermatologic Surgeon

Will Botox Migrate?

+1

This is an urban myth...Botox once injected is absorbed by the target muscle within minutes and is not free to roll around or move through the tissues even when pressure is applied.  

Botox migration unlikely

+1

While Botox can migrate, it is unlikely. Migration is somewhat dependent upoon the concentration of the solution (the toxin has to be mixed with saline to able to be injected) and the technique. It is thought that Botox can migrate up to 4 hours after injection, but it is taken up by the muscle very quickly (usually within 90 minutes).  I would return to your injector and get a complete exam. Good Luck

Michael Burgdorf, MD

Botox Migration

+1

Botox migration is rare, and if it will occur generally does so in the first 4 hours. It is possible to migrate thereafter, but not probable. Contact your injector and explain the situation. Your injector will have the best understanding of the treatment, and will be able to guide you appropriately.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Can Botox Migrate?

+1

The short answer is yes. Botox can migrate or diffuse from the injection site especially within the first 4hours of injection.  Rubbing the treated area during thus time increases that risk significantly and so is strongly discouraged.  In general strenuous activity and facial manipulation should be avoided for about 24 hours.

Asaad H. Samra, MD
New Jersey Plastic Surgeon