Can Botox Last Longer Than Six Months?

I have had botox several times and always like the effects (forhead) the last time I had it was six months ago and it looks like I just had it three weeks ago. How come it is lasting so well this time? I am not complaining but it does seem unusual. I had another appointment booked but canelled it for two more months. Is it possible they something else other than botox?

Botox can last 6 months

Botox can last for different lengths of time in different sites for different individuals.  You may have lost the habit of lifting your forehead or frowning so your Botox effect has lasted longer.  The same would be true for the other neurotoxins.  Wait until some movement returns before having another treatment.

Toronto Dermatologist

Muscle retraining after botox can prolong the results

Creases of the skin of the forehead are from muscle contraction / frowning. If one learns not to grimace or frown during the relaxation phase of the Botox, then even after the Botox no longer relaxes the muscles, the skin creases may stay away for a long time. If you looked in the mirror and consciously raised your eyebrows by using the forehead muscle, you would see that the Botox is no longer effective, but you were effective in not making this facial expression even after the Botox wore off. 

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Continued Use Can Aid In Lasting Effect of Botox

Botox roughly lasts up to four months. There’s nothing wrong if you notice your Botox is lasting longer; how deep of wrinkles and how strong a patient’s muscles are will determine how well it takes and how long it will last. We have also noticed that the more regularly patients get Botox the better results they will have each time. “Dr. D”

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

How long can Botox last?

On average, Botox will last around 3 months. However, this can vary from patient to patient  Many times, Botox can “re-train” the muscles so they do not make the movements as often causing the wrinkles in the forehead.  If Botox lasts over 6 months for you, I would consider yourself lucky. Thanks and good luck!

Botox duration

Botox or other botulinum toxins (e.g. Dysport, Xeomin) generally last about 3-4 months, but this is a range with some people getting a longer duration. Many people have found that after a few treatments, with the muscles weakening/atrophying, the Botox tends to last longer such as 5-6 months. Dr. Benjamin Barankin, Toronto Dermatology Centre.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox lasting more than 6 months

Everyone has a different duration of effect with their treatments - and if yours is lasting this long, be glad! Repeated treatments on a regular basis often help lengthen the time between treatments as explained by both Dr. Novick and Dr. Swengel.

Sam Naficy, MD

Repeated Treatment of Botox at Fixed Intervals and the Addition of a Filler Are Two Possible Ways To Prolong Botox Effects

In general, the effects of neuromodulators, such as Botox, Dysport, and Xeomin, last about four to seven months (typically five to six months), and most people who return as needed will typically have to do so at these intervals in order to restore correction. However, there have been reports in the literature (and corroborated by my own clinical experience) that if an individual undergoes a series of about five neuromodulator treatments at a fixed four month interval (regardless of whether there is any return of the expression lines), the interval between treatments may be subsequently significantly lengthened.

A number of explanations have been proposed for this. These include that repeated treatment leads to atrophy of the the injected muscles and hence to more prolonged improvement. Another possible explanation is that repeated suppression of particular muscle groups allows for recruitment of other muscles and a kind of retraining not to make the types of expressions that led to the wrinkling in the first place. Whatever the actual explanation, undergoing the series can prove beneficial in this way--but only if the initial series is performed at the fixed four-month intervals.

Another method for prolonging the Botox effect is to combine its use with the injection of a filler. For example, it has been found that combining Botox with a hyaluronic acid filler in the scowl line area between the eyes can result in a one year correction--even after just one combined treatment session. I have personally found this to be the case, as well, in treatment the crow's feet lines on the sides of the eyes and the forehead worry lines. I have likewise found this combination, injected as microdroplets of each, especially useful for treating those difficult crepey, prune-like crinkles on the lower cheeks. 

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

Botox lasting 6 months!

The length of time Botox lasts does vary and I like to discuss with my long term patients why they often find they are going longer with repeated treatments.   The perfect balance of Botox and muscle relaxation is between the amount of muscle(or mass) and the number of units placed into that muscle.  When too little Botox is used, the muscle is able to recover more rapidly than when the balance is right on.  As the dose(units used) goes higher in a muscle, the effect lasts longer.    So this balance is what is always in play everytime someone receives Botox.  As you can appreciate, when someone has had Botox for years and kept forehead muscles relaxed through those years, those muscles atrophy just like shoulders and biceps do when you stop going to the gym. Those thinner muscles just don't need as much.  There also is the subtle effect of learning not to use those muscles.  That combination often allows 'frequent flyers' of Botox to often go longer between injections over time.   Lucky you!

Steven Swengel, MD
Los Gatos Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox Lasting Longer

Botox contains the same properties in every vial of product in every office throughout the world. However, people's individual bodies break down the substance at very different rates. It may wear off in 3 months, or take up to 6 or even 8 months, depending on the area. Some of my patients claim that the more they get receive Botox injections, the longer and longer it lasts. I have not seen clinical trials to back this up, but it is something reported anecdotally. 

Cameron Rokhsar, MD

Botox lasts about 4 months

Botox can last between 3-4 months and by 4 months it often completely wears off. Some individuals have a longer effect.  I guess you are one of the lucky ones!