Can I Have Botox in Frown Line if I Have Multiple Scelrosis?

I have asked my neurologist 3years ago if it was ok and she said yes. I like the results from the Botox ,but i feel pulling in my eyes at night. Since this occurred the first time I did it, the next time I used only 8ccs to be on the safe side. I still feel pulling but only for a couple of days. Is this normal to feel pulling and can the Botox move to my neck from my forehead because I have multiple sclerosis

Botox Likely OK in this Case

+1

The short answer is, most likely, yes although this is not the official infomration provided in the drug monograph, which indicates that individuals with neurologic conditions should not have Botox. None the less I think most clinicians would probably feel that it is often safe in patiients with MS. Multiple sclerosis is a disease of the central nervous system. When we inject Botox, we effect the communication between the muscles and peripheral, not central, nerves . The likelihood, therefore, of Botox causing any probems with your MS is low. As a precaution, it is of course always wise to make sure your current neurologist knows your plans and is still in agreement that Botox would be safe at the present stage of your disease.

Botox and multiple sclerosis

+1

It is good you got your approval from your neurologist three years ago but continue to ask her as the years progress. You might have meant 8 units, not 8 ccs. It is normal to feel different sensations in the forehead or crows feet after Botox treatment for a few days after treatment.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Botox in multiple sclerosis

+1

There does not appear to be any problems injecting multiple sclerosis patients with Botox. I would get approval from your neurologist, & I would start with a small area such as the frown lines to see how you like it and how you react to it. Botox can diffuse about 1cm, it wouldn't travel from your forehead to your neck.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox and MS

+1

It is safe to have Botox injected to the glabella region with a diagnosis of MS. It's difficult to say what the pulling sensation you are feeling is but it won't migrate from your forehead to your neck.

Sam Naficy, MD

Botox and neurological disease

+1

Botox is not contraindicated in neurological diseases such as MS but every case is different.  I would check with your treating neurologist before getting Botox.

Michele S. Green, MD

Yes, Botox Cosmetic is safe to use in patients with MS

+1

Yes, Botox Cosmetic is safe in the frown area even with a diagnosis of multiple sclerosis.  The product is localized to the treatment area and does not migrate. 

Mary Hurley, MD
Dallas Dermatologist

Multiple sclerosis will not cause Botox to migrate

+1

The effects of Botox are localized and it will not migrate.  Of course, you should have any treatment subject to the approval of your neurologist but I do not see any ill effects.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Botox for forehead lines

+1

You can feel absolutely safe using Botox Cosmetic for facial muscles.  The small amounts used to relax those muscles will not migrate so relax and enjoy the effects of this product.

Steven Swengel, MD
Los Gatos Dermatologic Surgeon