How Long After Receiving Botox Should I Wait Before Trying to Conceive?

I had a botox injection in June and how long should I wait to try and conceive? I recently stopped taking birth control and my husband and I are planning to conceive. I had a botox injection only 13cc's into frown lines on June 16th how long should I postpone pregnancy?

Botox and Pregnancy

+1

This is definitely a tough subject as there really is no clear answer. There have been no human studies on Botox and pregnant women or women trying to conceive, as realistically the risks associated outweigh the benefits of such a procedure. I feel that it would be wrong for any physician to say that there probably is nothing to worry about even if we would do think that it is relatively safe. I would recommend discussing this with your health care provider as he or she can best guide you. I normally advise my patients to wait at least 3 months as this is generally the time that the toxin begins to wear off. It is better safe than sorry.  

Miami Dermatologist

Botox before trying to conceive

+1

I don’t think anyone has the specific answer to this question. To my knowledge, there is no specific relation between cosmetic BOTOX® administration and maternal or fetal problems with pregnancy. If you are not currently pregnant, BOTOX® should not present potential or theoretical pregnancy problems. You might consider checking with Allergan, the pharmaceutical company that has done the research, obtained the approvals and manufactures BOTOX®.

Sigmund L. Sattenspiel, MD
Freehold Facial Plastic Surgeon

How Long after Botox Should I Try to Conceive?

+1

The Botox would be gone from your system in most cases in 4-5 months.  Although there are no studies to verify that it would be safe to conceive at this point, the benefit of waiting longer is almost nil after that much time has passed.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Botox and pregnancy

+1

No one knows for sure whether Botox has any deleterious affects on pregnancy. I would wait until the Botox wears off.

Wait before trying to conceive

+1

As the other expert posters have stated, NO medical studies to find a causal relationship between Botox therapies and conception. My personal opinion is why take the chance if there is any question in your mind. Just forego the Botox treatment until after conception and pregnancy.

From MIAMI Dr. B

Botox and pregnancy

+1

There are no studies to address if the botox that was injected becomes so integrated in the tissue that there is or is not a chance of systemic effect. The company will not endorse the injection of  Botox during pregnancy, but that does not mean that there would be a problem. No one can tell you that anything other than waiting five to six months after the Botox is injected (when it should be worn off) is safe.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Certainly stop getting BOTOX while trying to actively conceive

+1

This is one of those questions for which we have no definite information.  The risks are most likely quite low but probably not zero.  If might be prudent to wait a couple of months before conceiving if you have a choice.  Often the question is posed differently along the lines of "I got BOTOX two weeks ago and now I discovered I am actually pregnant-what should I do."  

Generally the advice for this later situation is to not worry about the BOTOX treatment.  Your circumstances are different because you are not now pregnant and presumable you could delay becoming pregnant.  Best advice here is to talk with your gynecologist.  Recognize that there are no definitive answers but your personal gynecologist will know your personal health history and be able to provide you a recommendation knowing your health history.

Botox and Pregnancy

+1

There are no studies one way or another to advise patients with Botox and Pregnancy, so my best advice is to avoid Botox injections during pregnancy.  If you have Botox and did not know you were pregnant, don't worry either since there are also no studies showing that this is a problem.  As far as conceiving while on Botox, there are no studies for this either.  However, it is likely not a problem.

David Shafer, MD

Teratogenicity of Botulinum Toxin

+1

To the best of my knowledge the teratogenicity of botulinum toxin has not been clearly established and therefore its administration during the early stages of pregnancy is not advised.