Botox and Restylane Results Affected by Alcohol?

3 months ago, I had Botox and Restylane (lips). I've had them many times before successfully. This time, though, I went out that same night and had a bunch of drinks. To my dismay...about 80% of the effects disappeared!! No Dr. ever told me not to drink. I was very upset that I wasted my money! Have you had this happen to your patients? 

Drinking and Botox/Fillers

I would not recommend that you drink right after an injectable procedure as it will increase your chance of bruising and swelling.  Having said that, I don't think it would effect the duration or efficacy of your result.

This is unusual and I haven't heard this happen before and there is no scientific evidence supporting this. The fact that it made your results "disappear" is strange. I suggest you return to your injector to talk about this.

Not affected by alcohol

Alcohol doesn't affect the benefits of Botox and Restylane. It may contribute to bruising, but not make your results disappear. It's very strange that you experienced this. Please see your injector for an assessment.

Botox Result Most Likely Unrelated to Alcohol

It's unfortunate that you're unhappy with the results of your recent botox and Restylane injections. Although your injections occurred following significant alcohol consumption, your poor result probably isn't related to this event.  Alcohol has no effect on either botox or juvéderm. For this reason other explanations are probably more likely.

It's important that you contact your injector as soon as possible. This provider will hopefully determine why your injections didn't work and correct your aesthetic concerns.

Botullinum Toxin (Dysport and Botox) and alcohol

Although alcohol may cause fluid retention and may increasing bleeding tendencies (potential for addiional bruising), there are no studies suggesting any interaction or diminished Botullinum Toxin (Dysport and Botox) and Restylane effects.

Alcohol and fillers and Botox

There are no studies that suggest any effects of alcohol on the "take" of Botox or fillers. 

Botox and Restylane results affected by alcohol

Again there is NO medical studies showing that alcohol effects the treatments of Botox or fillers in any way. Maybe you were still hung over and swollen (alcohol causes fluid retention) when you looked at yourself.

From MIAMI Dr. B

Botox and fillers and alcohol consumption

I am not aware of any reports that alcohol consumption interferes with the processing of Botox or fillers. There is no mechanism or pathway that I can think of that would make me tell a patient to avoid consuming alcohol after these cosemtic procedures.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

A bunch of drinks?

Binge drinking is not healthy for you.  It is much more likely that the binge drinking affected your memory of your treatment effects than it is that the drinking actually affected the treatment itself.  Of course the answer is to always have a follow up visit after treatment and then you can actually compare the effect of the treatment rather than guessing regarding its effectiveness.  

Alcohol and Botox and Juvederm

There are no studies and no medical reason why Alcohol should effect the results from Botox or Juvederm.  There is more likely a different factor going on such as a new injector, etc.  Good luck.

David Shafer, MD