Botox and Restylane Results Affected by Alcohol?

3 months ago, I had Botox and Restylane (lips). I've had them many times before successfully. This time, though, I went out that same night and had a bunch of drinks. To my dismay...about 80% of the effects disappeared!! No Dr. ever told me not to drink. I was very upset that I wasted my money! Have you had this happen to your patients? 

Botullinum Toxin (Dysport and Botox) and alcohol

+1

Although alcohol may cause fluid retention and may increasing bleeding tendencies (potential for addiional bruising), there are no studies suggesting any interaction or diminished Botullinum Toxin (Dysport and Botox) and Restylane effects.

Alcohol and fillers and Botox

+1

There are no studies that suggest any effects of alcohol on the "take" of Botox or fillers. 

Botox and Restylane results affected by alcohol

+1

Again there is NO medical studies showing that alcohol effects the treatments of Botox or fillers in any way. Maybe you were still hung over and swollen (alcohol causes fluid retention) when you looked at yourself.

From MIAMI Dr. B

Botox and fillers and alcohol consumption

+1

I am not aware of any reports that alcohol consumption interferes with the processing of Botox or fillers. There is no mechanism or pathway that I can think of that would make me tell a patient to avoid consuming alcohol after these cosemtic procedures.

Ronald Shelton, MD

A bunch of drinks?

+1

Binge drinking is not healthy for you.  It is much more likely that the binge drinking affected your memory of your treatment effects than it is that the drinking actually affected the treatment itself.  Of course the answer is to always have a follow up visit after treatment and then you can actually compare the effect of the treatment rather than guessing regarding its effectiveness.  

Alcohol and Botox and Juvederm

+1

There are no studies and no medical reason why Alcohol should effect the results from Botox or Juvederm.  There is more likely a different factor going on such as a new injector, etc.  Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

Alcohol Botox and Restylane, Commonly Combined

+1

We commonly ask people to avoid imbibing in the spirits following a session of cosmetic enhancements to avoid additional bruising or swelling.  We see alcohol enhancing the swelling as well as the bruising.  However we have not witnessed what you are describing.  I hope this helps.  Best Wishes.

Charles Perry, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Alcohol Should Not Effect Botox/ Restylane

+1

In reality, alcohol should not effect your Botox and/or Restylane results.  I have no heard of this before and have not, to my knowledge, had any patients who have reported such an occurrence.  Looking at the literature, there does not appear to be any connection either.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon