Botox for Scoliosis to Even Out a Lower Shoulder and Slight Head Tilt?

Can botox be used to even out a lower shoulder and slight tilted head due to scoliosis? I'm 35 and have adult scoliosis with a 10 degree curve. They tell me only spinal surgery can fix scoliosis. Exercise helps relieve the pain but does not help in the appearance portion. The muscle that starts from my neck down to my shoulder is visibly pulling down. Would botox help relax this muscle and make look a little bit higher and more relax? And how many units, if possible?

Botox for muscle relaxation

+1

you should see a neurologist trained in injecting botulinum toxin for musculoskeletal disorders. The number of units used are often quite high in dystrophy patients and complications can occur. I am not aware if it has been used in patients with your condition.

Botox and Scoliosis, Botox and Spasticity from Cerebral Palsy

+1

Botox is used by some neurologists to treat spasticity from cerebral palsy. I would venture to gues that it would take hundreds of units of Botox to helpp alleviate some of your scoliosis, and only if you are very young. I would defer this type of injection to a major center like the Cleveland Clinic or Mayo Clinic. You can call them and ask them to see if they have expertise in this area. Otherwise, surgery is the gold standard treatment for scoliosis IF IT IS SEVERE ENOUGH.

Hratch Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Buffalo General Surgeon