Botox for Hyperhidrosis - Worked Just for 2 Weeks. Normal?

I had botox injected 3 weeks ago and at first it looked very promising. 2-3 days after injection sweating was minimal but it did not last long. Increased perspiration was clearly visible after 2 weeks and after 3 weeks sweating is so excessive as if i did not have any botox. I was full of hope and now I am devastated. Why it did not work? Should I do it once again? Thank you in advance for your advice. Maggie

Botox for hyperhidrosis is normally very effective

+2

Botox for excessive underarm sweating is normally very effective. Most of my patients have a success rate of over a year of effectiveness, and some even 18 months. I am unsure how many units were injected, what the dilution ratio was, and where the injections were placed. All of this largely determines the effectiveness of Botox for underarm sweating. I would suggest at minimum, you see your injector for an evaluation and discussion.

+1

Its best to follow-up with your provider, he/she would know how many units were applied and the dilution. You may have been under dosed and would require more units

Usually lasts 4-7 months.

+1

i have had very good results using botox. it is unusual for it to last such as short period of time. ask your dr about the number of units injected per side.

i would suggest you see a plastic surgeon who is using the cellulaze laser by cynosure for treating axillary hyperhidrosis. it is a 30 minute procedure that only requires one very tiny incision per armpit and you can return to work the next day. results can last for years and may be permanent (as far as i know there are no follow ups beyond 3 years yet). this will be more expensive than botox but will not need to be redone, possible ever.

david berman md

plastic surgeon, northern va

Sterling Plastic Surgeon

Botox For Hyperhidrosis

+1

Typically results last between 3-6 months for hyperhidrosis and in some cases longer.  You should speak with your injector to see how many units were used and what dilution.  

Web reference: http://www.shahfacialplastics.com/latestnews/05-22-10/underarm-sweating-blog.html

Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox for Excessive Sweating

+1

Botox is generally a great option for patients living with hyperhidrosis. Without knowing the amount of Botox that was injected, it is hard to say exactly why your results did not last. The number of units injected and placement of the injection may be the cause of your short-term results. I would suggest you seek treatment from an expert Botox injector to ensure optimal results.

San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox for hyperhidrosis-underarms

+1

Hi Maggie! While I haven't had this experience with my patients, I have heard of this happening. It is likely that your Dr was conservative in the units of Botox used and more may be necessary. Dilution of Botox is also an important component. When done to full correction, it is a great option for this problem. I wish you best of luck in resolving your problem! - Dr. Boris

Botox for hyperhidrosis is temporary, MiraDry is long lasting

+1

Although Botox can work well for hyperhydrosis, it is temporary and expensive.  After years of using it for patients with varying results, I've switched everyone to MiraDry.  The costs are similar for something long lasting.

The miraDry procedure is an FDA cleared non-invasive method to eliminate the sweat glands in your underarms.  It uses microwave energy to destroy the sweat glands, eliminating the excessive sweating problems of people with axillary hyperhidrosis.  After application of a local anesthesia for comfort, the miraDry hand piece is placed where the sweat glands reside and applies the energy that eliminates them.  The treatment will take about an hour.

What are the expectations with miraDry?
An immediate reduction in sweat will be noticed after the procedure is complete.  Some localized soreness or swelling will occur and is normal, treated with a mild over-the counter pain reliever and ice packs.  Downtime is minimal to none at all.  We do recommend that you not exercise for a few days after treatment.

The eliminated sweat glands do not grow back or regenerate.  A recent clinical study indicated an 86% reduction in underarm sweating.  The procedure requires 2 treatments, 3 months apart for maximum results.    
This is one procedure I can say with confidence to my patients absolutely works well!

Phoenix Dermatologist

Botox for Hyperhidrosis Worked Just for 2 Weeks. Normal?

+1

Usually the effects of Botox in the axillae for hyperhidrosis lasts 6-12 months.  Many factors may be involved to explain why your treatment lasted for 2 weeks.  The amount injected, the depth of injection and the area treated could be issues.  I suggest you see your injector again for evaluation.  (This answer is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this posting is for patients’ general education only.  Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified healthcare provider for further evaluation of your individual case.)

Seattle Dermatologist

Botox for Excess Sweating

+1

In humid New Orleans, Botox can be a real benefit for excess sweating.  It should last 4-6 months.  I usually inject around 30 units per armpit.  

Web reference: http://drpelias.com

New Orleans General Surgeon

Hyperhidrosis

+1

While BoTox has excellent results for hyperhidrosis of the axillae (armpits), it is only a temporary measure.  Depending on how much was used along with the location of the injections, results typically last for 6-12 months on average.  Without knowing this information, I am unsure of why yours would have lasted for only a couple of weeks.  

One option to also consider would be liposuction to the areas, or even subdermal shaving to excise the sweat glands permanently from the axillae.  This has had dramatic and excellent results with minimal complications and small incisions.  Good luck!

Web reference: http://www.albertandresmd.com

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.