Will Botox Above my Upper Lip Stop It from Excessive Sweating?

I've had Botox in my underarms for hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating) also in my hair line. My next apt is to have my upper lip done as I constantly get a sweat mustache... Will it really help? And will be lips look funny? What are some alternatives to botox for this?

Botox for upper lip sweating/Other alternatives

+2

I have injected botox in the upper lip, and even the nose for excessive sweating. I agree that you need to use a very small amount (3-5 units total depending on your lip size, spread out in .5 unit injections). It probably will affect the muscles of the upper lip, and you may notice that your lip feels "clumsy". By this, I mean that you may have difficulty with drinking from straws and puckering. However, I think it could be worth it to try. The effects will wear off, so if you really dislike the feeling, it will get better. The other interesting option would be to consider treatment with Ulthera. It would be off-label, but there are good studies showing that this ultrasonic device works well to decrease sweating in the armpits. I would recommend going to someone with lots of experience for an in-person consult. Good luck.

Seattle Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox for upper lip sweating

+2

Botox in the upper lip may stop excess sweating in the area. However, this is not done without risk. It could  affect the upper lip and cause a distoration of the upper lip. It could also make it difficult to pucker, talk or eat...If you decide to do it be sure you are going to someone very experinced with Botox injections.

Esta Kronberg, MD
Houston Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox and Upper Lip Sweating

+2

I agree with what has been written here for the most part.  I would suggest using Dysport rather than Botox for 2 reasons.  You will see the results quicker and Dysport has a better distribution across the skin.

The trick is getting the Botox into the skin only and not into the muscles underneath.  I would suggest starting at a low dose and adding a little bit more once per week (Botox) or once every 3 days (Dysport) until the sweating stops.  If you start noticing some weakness in the muscles before the sweating stops, then you should probably abandon the effort.

As far as technique, you should be certain that the injector is very aware of tissue planes and how to inject the skin maximizing the amount that stays in the skin.  If you are very careful with the needle, the Botox can be deposited at the junction of the dermis/epidermis.  It will create small "blebs" on the surface that go away shortly, but will keep as much as possible from getting under the skin.

Louis W. Apostolakis, MD
Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox in the Upper Lip

+2

Medical Botox for hyperhidrosis and Cosmetic Botox for dynamic rhytides, fine lines and wrinkles can have similar and overlapping effects. That is, Botox treatments in the upper lip will likely be effective in alleviate sweating. However, these treatments can also effect the muscles in this area. I have injected Botox in the upper lip to help with smokers or kissing lines around the mouth, as well as to help correct a "gummy" smile. If you are going t o have injections for upper lip sweating, make sure you see an experienced injector who is familiar with these other procedures and can minimize and unwanted results. As well, your dermatologist should be able to provide you with a number of Botox alternatives so you don't have to risk a bad outcome.

Adam J. Mamelak, MD
Austin Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox For Lip Sweating

+2

It may – we know Botox has a great affect on sweating under the arms, in the hands, and on the feet.  Many are using it as well for excess sweating on the head and perhaps above the lips can help with sweating here – but remember, muscle movement may also be affected, and if so, one may not have full mouth motion – and this can be a real problem that can last several months.

Michael Gold, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox to upper lip for sweating

+2

I inject many patients in their underarms for excessive sweating and this a relatively easy and comfortable procedure. The upper lip is another matter and should be done with extreme care and a minimal hand. The body cannot differentiate between Botox for sweating and Botox to stop muscle movement. So overinjection in the lip (or the wrong spot even) can lead to mouth paralysis or non-functioning mouth muscles, so you can have a droopy lip, problems speaking, problems eating or using a straw, etc. Talk to your physician about all of the precautions before you undergo this and make an educated decision. There isn't a counter product for Botox so any problems will persist until the Botox metabolizes in your body over 3-4 months.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

I would not do it.

+2

I think putting botox in the upper lip to stop sweating is likely to cause issues with the muscles of the lip. You may drool or have a crooked smile. There may be a dose that works without issues, but I think you run a high chance of having issues. 

Gordon Lewis, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

+2

In our practice we do inject the arm pits for excessive sweating.  The upper lip is a very delicate area you need to be sure to go to an experienced injector.  Usually the upper lip is injected to help with the fine verticle lines above the upper lip to minimize lip puckering. 

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

Toxin will help, but should be done with extreme prejudice

+2

Botulinum is taken up by the nerves and does not allow them to fire at their target cells. In the muscles, it will relax them and in sweat glands, it will allow them not to produce any sweat. The toxin does not differentiate, however, and if you put in a tad bit too much, you can have a crooked smile for until the effect of the toxin wearing off. This procedure should be done by a highly trained expert.

Hassan Galadari, MD
Dubai Dermatologist

Botox for sweating of the lips

+1

Be careful! Botox can reduce the sweating but may cause difficulty with smiling, eating and speaking. It could be difficult to brush your upper teeth because the upper lip could droop over the teeth and you might have to hold up the lip with one hand while brushing the teeth with the other. The very few units that could be injected without altering the lip muscle adversely may be too little to reduce the sweating satisfactorily. If a droop occurs, you might have to wait for as much as three to four months for the muscle to regain activity.

Ronald Shelton, MD