Botox for Sweating - How Long Do the Effects Last?

I know that Botox Cosmetic lasts a few months, but how long does Botox last when it is used to treat excessive sweating?

Botox; Botulinum Toxin for Hyperhidrosis and Excessive Sweating

Botox is used for excessive sweating for focal hyperhidrosis of the axilla, groin, forehead, and inguinal crease. Botox works to inhibit the release of acetylcholine at the nerve synapse.

The longevity of botox depends on the regenerative capacity of the nerve synapse. In most cases, Botox will last about 4 to 6 months for hyperhidrosis.

There are many effective ways to limit the pain associated with Botox injections to the axilla. Discuss these with your surgeon. Hyperhidrosis may also benefit by non-Botox treatments, including thoracic sympathectomy.

804 7th Street
Santa Monica, CA 90403

Botox stops sweating for ~6-9 months; miraDry can have permanent results

Botox is a temporary, albeit very effective solution for underarm sweating.  Unfortunately, botox always wears off.  miraDry is an in-office, noninvasive technology that uses microwaves to destroy sweat glands.  Two miraDry treatments, spaced three months apart, typically reduce sweating by greater than 90%.  This is a lifechanging procedure for people that suffer from hyperhidrosis.  People who have more potent underarm odor also benefit, as well as people that just want to save on their drycleaning bills. 

Melissa Chiang, MD, FAAD
Houston Dermatologic Surgeon

5061 FM 2920
Spring, TX 77388

Botox for hyperhidrosis can last up to 6 months

Consult a physician who is able and is capable AND trained appropriately in providing every option of care for the specific type of hyperhidrosis you have. This includes topical therapy if appropriate, medication if appropriate, iontophoresis if appropriate, Botox if appropriate, suction curettage if appropriate or surgery if appropriate.

Botox injection can last anywhere from 3 months to six months when used for hyperhidross and depending on the dose injected.

Hratch Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Buffalo General Surgeon

5225 Sheridan Drive
Williamsville, NY 14221

Botox for Excessive sweating

Both Dysport and Botox can also be used to treat hyperhidrosis, or severe sweating under the arms.
Most patients see improvement within several days of injection. The result will usually last about three to four months at which point the sweat begins to reappear.

Dennis Gross, MD

900 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY 10021

Botox will last 4 months for excessive sweating

Typically when botox is used to treat sweating, the effect will last approximately 4 months. Some patients get more and some get less. Botox is very useful at reducing underarm sweating. It is less predictable when treating sweaty palms or soles.

- Dr. Bryson Richards

Bryson G. Richards, MD

6020 S. Rainbow Blvd, Bldg C
Las Vegas, NV 89118

2- 12 months- average user 5-6 months.

I tell all first timers 'I don't know how long the effect for YOU will last', however most first timers will get at least 4 months relief. Second timers may push out to 5 months, then 6. 
I perform 3-4 procedure of Botox for sweating daily, so I see the entire spectrum of short timers (2 months), all the way to some lucky individuals who get 12 months relief from the first injection. 

To set your expectations right, expect, and aim for 4 months. 

I tell all my patients that modification of lifestyle, such as decreasing caffeine intake and STRESS can help prolong the effects of BOTOX. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

185 Moggill Road
Brisbane, QLD 4068

Botox is a great option and highly effective helping excessive sweating, the results last 3-6 months 

435 North Roxbury Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90210

Botox for Excessive Sweating

Botox typically lasts between 3-6 months for excessive sweating.  This treatment is easily tolerated and quite safe with an experienced injector.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

845 N Michigan Avenue
Chicago, IL 60611

Botox is a Great Choice and Lasts a Long Time...

when used for excessive sweating...especially under the arms...unlike the effect on facial muscles where botox lasts for 3-4 months, under the arms the beneficial effects typically last between 9-12 months although there's some individual variability...many of my patients opt for treatment in the spring and stay dry throughout the summer months...for them a once a year session seems to suffice...

Ken Landow, MD

10080 Alta Drive
Las Vegas, NV 89145

Botox for Sweating vs Laser Treatment

Effective treatment for underarm sweating can be life-changing, so it would be great if there were treatments that could eliminate or greatly reduce the problem without the need for ongoing treatment.

Currently the SmartLipo Triplex or SmartLipo Side-Laze are available to do this.  They are not of any use for sweating in other areas, but this minimally invasive laser treatment is highly effective for the underarms. 

This is an office procedure done under local anesthetic, takes about an hour. The laser is temperature controlled by the Thermal Guide which is a thermistor at the tip of the laser cannula which measures the instantaneous skin temperature. The computer prevents the laser from exceeding a safe temperature which is also programmed into the device.

The laser is moved under the skin in a systematic fashion, resulting in destruction of the sweat glands.

Robert M. Lowen, MD
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

305 South Drive
Mountain View, CA 94040