Can I Get Botox for Sweating Below Breast and Groin?

When i was in my early teens i had surgery for my severe hyperhidrosis(palms and armpits but still have sweaty feet), and never knew about compensatory sweating. Now im in my early 20's and Im dealing with sweating in areas that make my everyday life complicated. I sweat in my groin area excessively and below my breast, also my back. I think if i knew then what i know now I would rather have sweaty palms and feet than what Im dealing with now. I recently heard of botox for hyperhidrosis...do you think in my case it would cause some relief or am I an hopeless cause?

Botox for Compensatory Sweating

+3

What you have developed is compensatory sweating - that is, sweating in your lower body following endoscopic thoracic sympathectomy (ETS). Compensatory sweating is more likely following ETS for hyperhidrosis involving the head and neck than for ETS performed for hyperhidrosis of the underarms and/or palms.

Yes, Botox can be applied to areas where you have compensatory sweating but this is usually a very expensive treatment option as the surface area involved can be large - such as the back, groin, buttocks, behind the thighs and knees.

Beyond cost considerations, it is not pleasant to be injected with needles in large areas of the body. Topical anesthetics can be used to reduce needle stick-related pain, but areas such as the groin are very sensitive and need approximately 10 needle sticks to provide enough Botox to cover approximately 4% of the body surface area.

If your compensatory sweating is limited to the groin, then Botox can be injected and this may be an effective option for you.

Again, it is not practical to inject large body surface areas with Botox to treat compensatory sweating.

Buffalo General Surgeon

Hyperhidrosis treatment in Los Angeles

+1

Botox and Xeomin are effective in areas of skin where there is excessive moisture from hyperactive sweat glands. Raffy Karamanoukian Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

No sweat...the answer is botox...

+1

yes botox is a fantastic treatment for excessive sweating under the breasts, in the groin and on your back...and if your sweaty feet cause problems, then get them treated too...botox works extraordinarily well...no to think twice...the simple, painless treatment begins to work within days and relieves you of the uncertainty and potential embarrassment...see your local provider and enjoy a relaxing summer...

Ken Landow, MD